can we borrow two kits?

Guest Dreamer Sasha (Moongaze)

um may I borrow the adventurer thief kit and the dirgesinger kit? from you guys? Im still in the process of making some npcs with my partner and a friend, and the adventurer/dirgesinger kits are the best kit to describe them. Id also need some instructions on which files I need and what I need to do to...um...append? yea I think its append. to append thee kit to the npc at installation or something. Ive checked the kitmaking tutorial at PPG already but I dont recall it says anything about adding an existing kit to an npc.

thanks! :)

edit: we need the dirgesinger too after consulting with our friend (who is the boss about one npc ;) )

Can you code? It is hard to gauge how much tech stuff I need to tell you for you to be able to get it working. For an example of how to add a kit to an NPC (and also useful for general NPC coding, I guess) check out my Mur'Neth mod.

It would probably be easiest if you just installed dummy kits with the same abilities, different internal kit name, and make them not selectable by the PC. So, yeah, make sure you use different filenames for stuff to us. And make sure not add it to any K_X_X.2DA files (i.e. leave that section of the ADD_KIT command blank).

If you could source the kits in your ReadMe and link here then that would be nice. :)

Can you code? It is hard to gauge how much tech stuff I need to tell you for you to be able to get it working. For an example of how to add a kit to an NPC (and also useful for general NPC coding, I guess) check out my Mur'Neth mod.

I can code little bits of hardcode things like banters, interjections and basic tp2. I just checked out Mur'Neth v4 and I cant say I understand the whole @18 and WRITE_ASCII stuff.

like for this:

//Creature copying and naming
COPY ~Mur'Neth/creatures/A#murn.CRE~ ~override/A#Murn.CRE~
SAY NAME1 @7
SAY NAME2 @7

id prolly use this:

//Creature copying and naming
COPY ~Mur'Neth/creatures/A#murn.CRE~ ~override/A#Murn.CRE~
SAY NAME1 ~Mur'Neth~
SAY NAME2 ~Mur'Neth~

if that makes any sense. :O if not, heres how Id code a banter:

CHAIN
IF ~InParty("Anomen")
See("Anomen")
!StateCheck("Anomen",STATE_SLEEPING)
!Alignment("Anomen",CHAOTIC_NEUTRAL)
Global("DWvicano2","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN BVICONI hate
~Foolish Helmite.~
DO ~SetGlobal("DWvicano2","GLOBAL",1)~
== BANOMEN
~Foul Lolthspawn.~
EXIT

the @ things are not necessary at first are they? :O I read the PPG kitmaking tutorial and I understood that. prolly a whole lotta looking back and quite a bit of work but it didnt look too complicated. but Mur'Neths coding kinda goes above my head. :)

It would probably be easiest if you just installed dummy kits with the same abilities, different internal kit name, and make them not selectable by the PC. So, yeah, make sure you use different filenames for stuff to us. And make sure not add it to any K_X_X.2DA files (i.e. leave that section of the ADD_KIT command blank).

so just copy the kits from S&S, rename the filenames and dont use ADD_KIT? doesnt sound too hard. (*crosses fingers*) how do I make it unavailable to PCs?

If you could source the kits in your ReadMe and link here then that would be nice. :)

of course! :D

So are you really not an alternative account of Sim/Moongaze? :)

The @18 etc are just references to strings in the .tra files, yeah, and it is probably best just to use the strings themselves (SAY NAME1 ~Mur'Neth~ and so on).

Do use ADD_KIT. What I mean is something like this, from Cam's tutorial: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=898

// PC races and classes allowed to use this kit, from KITTABLE.2da
~K_C_D K_C_E K_C_G K_C_H K_C_HE K_C_HL K_C_HO~

Replace that bit with a pair of empty tildas:

~~

Those above lines control which races can pick the kit, so by blanking it out it means nobody can. Then you assign the kit to your .CRE manually with WRITE_ASCII, but make sure the kits are earlier in the .tp2 than the .CRE patching or else it will fail.

And to avoid potentially confusing yourself, when renaming the files it might be easiest just to use your prefix (whatever that may be) instead of mine (A!/A#).

So are you really not an alternative account of Sim/Moongaze? :O

yes really. :O even if I was Im not exactly causing any harm right? not like Im a big scary troll here to crash your forum. :) I have friends who did that but I dont see the point. Im not online a lot anyway. :)

The @18 etc are just references to strings in the .tra files, yeah, and it is probably best just to use the strings themselves (SAY NAME1 ~Mur'Neth~ and so on).

Do use ADD_KIT. What I mean is something like this, from Cam's tutorial: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=898

ohhh I see. so ADD_KIT basicaly gives the order for all the files to be modified? neat! ^^

// PC races and classes allowed to use this kit, from KITTABLE.2da
~K_C_D K_C_E K_C_G K_C_H K_C_HE K_C_HL K_C_HO~

Replace that bit with a pair of empty tildas:

~~

Those above lines control which races can pick the kit, so by blanking it out it means nobody can. Then you assign the kit to your .CRE manually with WRITE_ASCII, but make sure the kits are earlier in the .tp2 than the .CRE patching or else it will fail.

can the assigning to the .CRE be done in the installation itself or do we have to install the kit first then assign it to the .CRE and then save the .CRE with the kit already assigned?

And to avoid potentially confusing yourself, when renaming the files it might be easiest just to use your prefix (whatever that may be) instead of mine (A!/A#).

yea we use DW. :D

It doesn't really matter to me whether you are an alt account for someone or not. :)

ADD_KIT is a WeiDU command which appends the required files to add a kit to the game, using the information you give it. Cam's tutorial explains how to use it better than I can.

With regards to patching the .CRE, when you create the character make them a trueclass one. You can't add the kit with WRITE_ASCII stuff until the kit has been installed with the mod, because the kit's ingame number depends on what else the end-user has installed.

So if you set the kit on your local install then distributed the mod like that, then someone who has different kits installed from you will not have the character as a Dirgesinger/Adventurer but rather something else.

With regards to patching the .CRE, when you create the character make them a trueclass one. You can't add the kit with WRITE_ASCII stuff until the kit has been installed with the mod, because the kit's ingame number depends on what else the end-user has installed.

So if you set the kit on your local install then distributed the mod like that, then someone who has different kits installed from you will not have the character as a Dirgesinger/Adventurer but rather something else.

ohhhh okay. but um that still doesnt tell me how to actually assign the kit to the CRE. :) Im guessing putting the kit info before the CRE info (in the tp2)will do the trick. :O cuz ADD_KIT gives the command. Im wrong aint I? :)

You'll have to store the kit number as a variable, then write it to the appropriate byte in the .cre. I haven't got access to the WeiDU readme right now so I'm going entirely by memory, but I believe you'd need to use an INNER_PATCH.

It is quite complicated, so if no-one else comes along and provides the neccessary code, I'll try to do it when I get home from work :).

You'll have to store the kit number as a variable, then write it to the appropriate byte in the .cre.  I haven't got access to the WeiDU readme right now so I'm going entirely by memory, but I believe you'd need to use an INNER_PATCH.

It is quite complicated, so if no-one else comes along and provides the neccessary code, I'll try to do it when I get home from work :).

Actually you shouldn't have to if you let the variable 'fall through' and make sure the next thing you do is write the byte in the cre, before the variable gets overwritten by something else.

Assigning your custom kit to a creature file is in part four of the tutorial. :)

neat ^^

I dun really get what "write byte" is all about so I hope your tutorial explains that! :O

The song has been improved locally for the next version. The penalty it gives to foes now increases with level. And they already get to cast Horror, Animate Dead and so on at higher levels...

when do you think that fix will be out? our npcs are not ready for release but I kinda wanna have the best fixed version of the two kits for our charries. :)

It's not a 'fix', it is a change. And I'm not sure--a couple of the new kits are coded, but there's still some changes I'd like to make (as well as adding some new ones), and I've had almost no time to mod over the past months.

Archived