"Drizzt Is Not Stupid"

Macready

Hello -

I know that seeing famous characters like Drizzt and the word "mod" used in the same sentence is normally enough to send people running for the hills, but even so...

I'm not much of a modder at heart, but there was one thing that always annoyed me dating back to my early days of lurking at SP reading Baldur's Gate threads. A large number of people were in the habit of making Drizzt their first stop so that they could cheese him and get his stuff. I always wished I could change that about the game, and so I have (for Tutu, anyway).

"Drizzt Is Not Stupid" is a *very* small-scale mod that seeks to make Drizzt more resistant to lamery without buffing him into a god or something like that. Of course, the very people that might like the idea of such a mod are the last people who actually need it, but even so...it makes me feel better to go about the game, ignoring this mod's small changes, knowing that if I *had* attacked Drizzt, it wouldn't have yielded anything good for me. If you feel the same way, you may read more about the mod or download it right here.

I like this mod idea. I remember one time that Drizzt killed the gnolls so quickly that he accused my solo wizard of not helping him. 10 attacks per round and a 30 point damage bonus would have that effect, though. It's worth the install just for that.

Hello -

I like this mod idea.  I remember one time that Drizzt killed the gnolls so quickly that he accuesed my solo wizard of not helping him.  10 attacks per round and a 30 point damage bonus would have that effect, though.  It's worth the install just for that.

*cough*

Well actually, gnoll-Drizzt wasn't toned down, since he doesn't fight you. I tried to be as sparing as possible with my edits to existing resources. If that still is an issue it would be fairly easy to lower his number of attacks.

Hello -

Jerk. :)

Hey, now! I didn't even make a comment about not being able to hit a single gnoll before Drizzt killed them all. :love:

I think that Drizzt could use a mayor tone-down.

When I was making a big mod for TuTU I turned Drizzt into a legitimate ranger that dual wields scimitar and has normal animation.

Well, truthfully the mod is more about making him less easy to exploit. It's something I always wanted to do, because I hated that people were routinely killing this icon of the Forgotten Realms. But even though I authored this mod that is entirely about what happens if you attack him, I never attack him. I just feel better knowing he isn't an idiot. :)

All that having been said, if you do choose to fight him, his abilities should conform better to the rules of the game.

Guest Notasophist
Well, truthfully the mod is more about making him less easy to exploit.  It's something I always wanted to do, because I hated that people were routinely killing this icon of the Forgotten Realms. 

What makes you think that people who do exploit drizzt's stupidity would install this mod? Sounds pretty pointless if you ask me... :)

Of course, the very people that might like the idea of such a mod are the last people who actually need it, but even so...it makes me feel better to go about the game, ignoring this mod's small changes, knowing that if I *had* attacked Drizzt, it wouldn't have yielded anything good for me.

- Do you mean that a player with 22-24 Str (Potion of Giant Strength), potion of Speed and Boots of Speed won't be able to run around and backstab him? (4-7 backstabs = dead Drizzt.)

- And that a party of six mages, all hasted, won't be able to pump him with (Magic) missiles? (Or, to think of it, a multiplayer party of Sorcerers with Melf's Minute Meteors...)

- And that he will react at 7^40 traps lying around and run away?

Hello -

- Do you mean that a player with 22-24 Str (Potion of Giant Strength), potion of Speed and Boots of Speed won't be able to run around and backstab him? (4-7 backstabs = dead Drizzt.)

- And that a party of six mages, all hasted, won't be able to pump him with (Magic) missiles? (Or, to think of it, a multiplayer party of Sorcerers with Melf's Minute Meteors...)

- And that he will react at 7^40 traps lying around and run away?

Well, Drizzt's reappearance if you've angered him comes a ways into the game, so at a minimum a dedicated "cheeser" will have to wait quite a bit longer than usual to get his equipment.

As to your questions: strength is almost irrelevant when it comes to backstabbing, because the strength damage bonus is not multiplied. Backstabbing is an effective tactic, but without some luck you'll fail to kill him outright.

Magic missiles wouldn't be very effective against Drizzt, who has near total immunity to magic in his BG1 implementation. MMM would be an effective spell, but I still don't see you killing him. As I mention in the readme, in most situations fighting him to a stalemate will be the best result.

In order to set traps, you cannot be in the presence of a hostile creature. You won't get that chance here, because he is ambushing you, rather than vice versa. Although it is possible to duck away temporarily to set a few, you won't be able to rest to replenish your supply of traps.

While this implementation may not be bullet-proof when it comes to preventing exploits, I think you'll find it much harder to bring him down and obtain his equipment.

I think that this mod has a potential to be regarded as one in the "tougher" encounters family . :) But I am all for making Drizzt less stupid. He is an exceptional warrior, Mary-Sue or not, and had survived through thick and thin. I especially like the amendments that don't make him turn hostile on a spot. His bookish self always tried to avoid fighting, especially in the beginning.

Hello -

I think that this mod has a potential to be regarded as one in the "tougher" encounters family . :)

Well, I am wary of that categorization, because this is not a mod about fighting (or if it is, then it is about fighting fairly).

But I am all for making Drizzt less stupid. He is an exceptional warrior, Mary-Sue or not, and had survived through thick and thin. I especially like the amendments that don't make him turn hostile on a spot. His bookish self always tried to avoid fighting, especially in the beginning.

Well, not having read the books may prove to be a weakness -- his non-violent alternative in this mod could be viewed as a kind of extortion. Since I am not familiar with the character aside from knowing that he is a force for good, I tried to imagine what a very angry good person would demand in order to let an aggressive and violent person off the hook.

As for his survival, I think I handled that well. In most cases he should survive -- after all, settling a score with <CHARNAME> is hardly worthy of a fight to the death (or his death, anyway).

Thank you for posting your thoughts.

Hello -

I think that this mod has a potential to be regarded as one in the "tougher" encounters family . :)

Well, I am wary of that categorization, because this is not a mod about fighting (or if it is, then it is about fighting fairly).

I think that's what Domi's suggesting--that you should be aware that some people who don't care about roleplaying will download this just to have a tougher fight with Drizzt, and look at you funny if you try to tell them that's not what it's for.

I could be wrong (about Domi meaning to suggest that).

Hello -

I think that's what Domi's suggesting--that you should be aware that some people who don't care about roleplaying will download this just to have a tougher fight with Drizzt, and look at you funny if you try to tell them that's not what it's for.

I could be wrong (about Domi meaning to suggest that).

After re-reading her remark I think you are right.

I can at least take comfort in the fact that he won't die paralyzed and alone, trapped on the far shore of that lake. :)

Archived