A half dragon tale V5: Sheena

Red Knight

Guest Guest
Well, the whole argument is pretty ridiculous as the moment you start applying science to magic things go wrong (e.g. timestop).  Its impossible that you could have the same mind inside a less intelligent creature as the creatures brain is significantly smaller and less complex, so the Jaheira/Dog example would be be impossible.  However, as this is a world of magic these things are deemed to be possible, so I think we have to assume that the person's mind is unchanged when they assume a new form despite any changes in hormones or brain size in their new form.

'When I first assumed my human form I became curious and eager...'

I think you have to say that this was only at the start otherwise it sounds kind of weird (you are implying that every time he becomes human he becomes curious about what sex is like, when obviously after the first time he knows what its like).

And I fully agree with you on the first paragraph. I said I also believe it is the same person in my last post but that his emotions could be changed, different...

I could also add -first- in my own sentence though I am now very much hesitating.

Thanks for all your help.

If I may intervene, what Grim is trying to say is that your sentence does not convey what you mean. What it convey is that his human form is a separate person, as in a clone, rather than the same person in a human form. Your sentence created a different character entirely, if you wish. Grim's correction says exactly what you were trying to express: ie when he turned into a human he was curious about his body's abilities.

If I may intervene, what Grim is trying to say is that your sentence does not convey what you mean. What it convey is that his human form is a separate person, as in a clone, rather than the same person in a human form. Your sentence created a different character entirely, if you wish. Grim's correction says exactly what you were trying to express: ie when he turned into a human he was curious about his body's abilities.

I agreed with Grim on the person issue and I was about to agree with him by also adding first, in the sense that of course he wouldn't be curious all the time.

I hesitated to add "first" because I assumed in Sheena's story that dragons get this innate ability early in their childhood, a way of protecting themselves from humans, elves, dwarves...

If I add "first", it doesn't make sense either.

When I first assumed my human form (I understand roughly at the age of 4 or 5)-, I was curious... - I very much doubt he would be curious that early.

And so I find myself unwillingly back to the drawing board, in silent frustration.

Dragons typically don't get the power to polymorph into humans until they are at least adolescents (I don't have my Monstrous Manual handy, so I couldn't tell you specifically for a red). Prior to this, the only real protection they need, they get from their parents, so your curiosity theory still holds water.

Plus, it could be surmised that Fiirkraag ddn't use his power to asume human form until very late in life, believing his draconic form to be far superior.

Dragons typically don't get the power to polymorph into humans until they are at least adolescents (I don't have my Monstrous Manual handy, so I couldn't tell you specifically for a red). Prior to this, the only real protection they need, they get from their parents, so your curiosity theory still holds water.

Plus, it could be surmised that Fiirkraag ddn't use his power to asume human form until very late in life, believing his draconic form to be far superior.

Thanks. I also doubt that on his first time in human form, even during adolescece, his first thing in mind would be to be curious about certain human things...

I've posted yet again another edited version on page 1. I think that to add 'once' rather than 'first' will do for now.

Well, I think when he eventually did discover this power he'd have thought 'oh look I can do this, that's interesting' and pretty much instantly changed back but later when he eventually decided to use his human form for long periods of time (to masquerade as Lord Jierdan) he became curious about what else he could do.

Btw you still have a few things that need changing: In 102 you still say 'molest'. While not the actual definition of the word it is commonly used to mean sexually molested, which I assume is not what you want. In 105 you still have a capital 'w' on 'why', which is wrong.

Btw you still have a few things that need changing:  In 102 you still say 'molest'.  While not the actual definition of the word it is commonly used to mean sexually molested, which I assume is not what you want.  In 105 you still have a capital 'w' on 'why', which is wrong.

'Molest' is an old word and at the time it wasn't really used in this sense. But you are right today's world changed its meaning. I thought of either 'Ill-treat' or 'Maltreat' but that doesn't seem right either. I'm still pondering what word would be most appropriate.

I have a few lines (less than 10) that I'd like someone to check because grammatically I am at a loss. Would you mind looking at them if I pm you those lines sometime during the week?

Go ahead, though I can't promise a quick response as I am quite busy at the moment.

And on 'molest'. Yes, the word's use was different years ago and would be reflected in that usage being acceptable in D&D however readers will read it with modern eyes and go 'eh?'. 'Mistreat' should be fine.

Go ahead, though I can't promise a quick response as I am quite busy at the moment.

And on 'molest'.  Yes, the word's use was different years ago and would be reflected in that usage being acceptable in D&D however readers will read it with modern eyes and go 'eh?'.  'Mistreat' should be fine.

Time is not of essence in a hobby. As long as you can get me some feedback on a few grammar points which elude me, I'll be fine.

Archived