Why can't stalkers dual class?

If you delete/rename the dualclas.2da in override, you actually can dual-class all three ranger kits. I'm not 100% sure as I've got a few mods installed, but it might be the official patch which changed this (perhaps for reasons of balance?).

Technically speaking, yes, you can dual-class a beastmaster. However, without the fixpack, doing so will lead to a game-breaking bug when you find yourself being asked to spend a weapon proficiency point and you're already specialized in the few weapons that fit both cleric and beastmaster restrictions, so that you spend the rest of the game staring at the level-up screen.

I want to say it'd be because the kits have no real use if you dual-class to cleric (stalkers can't backstab and archers can't use bows), but they didn't apply that logic to any other kits, so who knows?

Somebody changed it on purpose, though. The version in the BIFF allows stalkers and archers to dual-class; the 2DA shipped in the override folder doesn't.

Yeah, Bioware changed their minds at some point. (Patched) Shadows of Amn allows all ranger kits to dual-class to cleric, whereas (patched) Throne of Bhaal removes dual-classing for stalkers and archers. Beastmasters can dual-class in both cases. It's an undocumented change; the patch changelog doesn't say anything about it. (It's possible it's from ToB itself and not the patch--anyone have an unpatched ToB install?)

I hate cases like this. The restrictions are silly, but their inclusion in ToB is a pretty clear case of dev intent. I'm inclined to roll the restrictions into SoA, and then have an OBC component to remove the restrictions from both SoA and ToB. If that isn't complicated enough... :rolleyes:

Archived