Braggarts Anonymous

NiGHTMARE

Current desktop PC:

Processor: Athlon64 3400+ (slot 739)

Motherboard: Asus K8N4-E Deluxe

Graphics Card: Radeon X850 XT PE - 256MB GDDR3 (AGP)

RAM: 2.5GB DDR 333

Hard-drives: 160GB + 120GB

A pretty respectable system, one which is capable of running Half-life 2 with almost all the bells'n'whistles on at 1900x1200 with no slowdown, though quite a few options need to be turned down before Oblivion, Doom3 or Quake 4 will run well at that resolution. A combination of the motherboard deciding to fry itself and an impeding period of lots of free time prompted the decision to upgrade to something pretty gobsmacking...

Soon-to-be desktop PC:

Processor: Athlon64 5000+ (slot AM2)

Motherboard: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe

Graphics Card: Radeon X850 XT PE - 256MB GDDR3 (AGP)

RAM: 2GB DDR2 800

Hard-drives: 160GB + 120GB

Oh, I forgot to mention the monitor: a 24" Dell HD widescreen :).

Eh... too much of a good thing can't be bad? I mean, my system is pretty on par with your original one (minus a gigabyte of memory, and adding a few 100 gigs of HDD space), and I've only just upgraded my videocard.

Anyway, congrats on the new system.

Actually, it was a dead monitor that lead me to getting a new one, and it arrived a few days before my system died. In fact, I was in the middle of enjoying widescreen Quake 4 when the comp just seemed to turn itself off. When it wouldn't turn back on but the power supply proved to be fine, I realized what had happened. It pissed me off quite a bit, especially as I'm forced to use a laptop that can barely play BG2 at a decent speed in the meantime :):party:.

I'm not having much luck with hardware right now, the sim card in my mobile phone and digital media player having both died in the past couple of months, too. From now on, I'm making sure my stuff is covered by at least a three year warranty :).

Heh. It turns out it wasn't the motherboard that died after all, but the power supply.

Oh well, now I'll have both an ultra kick arse system, and pretty kick arse system :). With this in mind, I've added a 750gb HD to the list (with a five year warranty, yay)...

Archived