A proposal about Happy NPCs

Salk

Hello!

I was thinking that it's nice to have no NPCs leaving abruptly the party because of reputation problems but I do believe that it would be nicer to have the NPCs reach a level of insatisfaction without ever breaking free from the party because after all it's more fair to have them complain when your reputation doesn't suit them rather than make them feel happy and accomodating all the time...What do you think ? :)

Hello!

I was thinking that it's nice to have no NPCs leaving abruptly the party because of reputation problems but I do believe that it would be nicer to have the NPCs reach a level of insatisfaction without ever breaking free from the party because after all it's more fair to have them complain when your reputation doesn't suit them rather than make them feel happy and accomodating all the time...What do you think ?  :)

Just want to make sure I follow the suggestion... Currently, party members get so pissed at the party rep that they leave. The current solution is to simply reduce their unhappiness due to the party rep, thus preventing their leaving since they never get unhappy enough.

Instead, the suggestion is to let them get as unhappy as before, simply remove the action to leave the party? I like this--lemme look around and see if it can be done.

Hey, if you find out what triggers the dialogue to leave, please let me know -- I have been trying to find out for BG1NPC work. So far, I have checked all Tutu npc dlgs and bcs and the only thing I have found is the Happines LT 0 calls in the P files. I need to do exactly what Salk suggested; we have some instances where a player-initiated dialogue triggers the unhappy rep talk/leave party instead of the desired result (the PID).

This sounds like a cool idea, I think it would be funny to have the NPC's bitching about how obviously evil or prissy good the party or PC is. I first started looking for mods for what amounts to the "happy patch" so that I could have Keldorn and Viconia in the same group, but bickering would still be interesting.

I read a piece of fan fiction with a sequence of dialogs where Keldorn was attempting to convert Viconia.

I am no judge of literature, so I will avoid commenting on the rest of the piece. I have no interest in showing my ignorance.

But I will say that the dialogs between Keldorn and Viconia sounded 100% true to character and showed a lot of relevance to the game: Viconia has the option to change her alignment in ToB. Could exposure to Keldorn's unwavering personal virtue an innate kindness be part of that? Sure, he would as soon see her burn for being Drow, but once they were thrown together, wouldn't he want to see if he could redeem her?

Having them together in the party verbally sparring without it coming to blows would definitely be cool.

Hey, if you find out what triggers the dialogue to leave, please let me know -- I have been trying to find out for BG1NPC work. So far, I have checked all Tutu npc dlgs and bcs and the only thing I have found is the Happines LT 0 calls in the P files. I need to do exactly what Salk suggested; we have some instances where a player-initiated dialogue triggers the unhappy rep talk/leave party instead of the desired result (the PID).

The leaving-due-to-unhappiness is driven by the dplayer2 script, which is assigned to creatures when they join the party. IIRC, dplayer is for the PC, dplayer2 for joinable NPCs (i.e. Minsc) and dplayer3 is for PCs that are not the protagonist, i.e. multi-player characters. The BreakingPoint() trigger in dplayer2 is what causes the joinable NPCs to leave.

Thank you so much! Tomorrow's project is to figure out a global-driven hijack patch of these scripts before the BreakingPoint() trigger. I am thinking of investigating how to simply reset the upset character's happiness to "slightly dissatisfied", but am not sure that will avoid an infinite loop (busy reading IESDP tonight to figure out when/how happiness is changed; bothering the character randomly is ok, but every 5 minutes RT would make them unplayable.

Hello!

I was thinking that it's nice to have no NPCs leaving abruptly the party because of reputation problems but I do believe that it would be nicer to have the NPCs reach a level of insatisfaction without ever breaking free from the party because after all it's more fair to have them complain when your reputation doesn't suit them rather than make them feel happy and accomodating all the time...What do you think ?  ;)

Just want to make sure I follow the suggestion... Currently, party members get so pissed at the party rep that they leave. The current solution is to simply reduce their unhappiness due to the party rep, thus preventing their leaving since they never get unhappy enough.

Instead, the suggestion is to let them get as unhappy as before, simply remove the action to leave the party? I like this--lemme look around and see if it can be done.

You have got it right... :)

Archived