Kagain's gotten weird on me.

grissy

Took him into the party, went to area north of Beregost, found the half-circle of caravan wagons and the Black Talon with bandits. In the middle of the fight he notices the body, walks over to it, walks back to the party, and either says a generic line to one of the other NPCs or, if my PC is the closest character, gives his "found the body I'm a wanted dwarf now etc" speech. Problem is then he keeps walking back and forth between the body and my party. Same deal, if he reaches me first he'll enter a normal conversation where I can try to find out more about him, and as soon as it ends he walks back to the body and starts over. Can't leave the map because I can't force him to walk away from the kid for more than a second or two. (Didn't realize he was so sentimental, heh.)

If I creep forward very slowly and trigger the Black Talon BEFORE revealing the body it ends more or less the same way. As soon as the Talon is dead, Kagain gives me his "found the body" speech even though he hasn't yet, then if I get too close to the body he sees it and starts the back and forth thing again. Whether or not I pick up the kid's item from the dead Black Talon doesn't seem to make any difference.

Basically A) what's the hiccup, any way I can fix it? And B) how do I continue the quest?

Really enjoying the mod so far, by the way. Khalid and Jaheira's conversations are especially great.

I am off code-diving to see... just to make sure, you are using Tutu, right :) ?

SetGlobal("X#KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",2) is the global set by the dialogue to move from "Well, look what I found; this is the body of Silvershield's son... etc.".

SetGlobal("KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",5) closes down the quest completely as "finished".

Domi may be able to help you with the script stuff faster than I can; I don't have an operating v11 right now, but will download and explore as soon as I can.

OK, looked into it, and if you are using Tutu, well (duh!) this should not be happening. :) If you are using BGT, then report over at SHS and send SirBillyBob to this post; it may help him troubleshoot the BGT conversion.

Somehow Kagain is not setting the correct global, and that means he keeps trying to talk to you but instead triggers his "Player-Initiated Dialogues".

We have no code I can find that triggers anything on seeing the body; the only trigger I can find so far is the encounter with the Bandit.

The only thing that I can think of is that perhaps you killed the Bandit before she got a chance to talk to you, or killed the bandit during combat and are using tactics that allow some time to pass (run arround shooting arrows). That might explain the "body talk in combat" portion; it sure doesn't explain why you would constantly trigger PIDs.

Please try the quest again, and make sure you talk to the lady before you kill her (she says "Boy, are you in the wrong place... etc.), kill all the other bandits, and then kill her last, and see what happens. If it works, great, please post that; if it doesn't, try using CLUAConsole to set the quest finished, and see if the behavior stops. It will bail you out of the quest with the crest, but will skip the (very small) amount of cash Kagain gives you.

What seems to be happening:

The area script creates the creature, and then the Bandit Lady X#KABAND attacks. You kill her, setting up Dead("X#KABAND"). The script

IF

InParty(Myself)

Global("X#KagainBandit","GLOBAL",1)

Global("X#KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",0)

AreaCheck("FW2800")

Dead("X#KABAND")

THEN

RESPONSE #100

PlaySong(0)

PlaySound("kagain99")

SetGlobal("X#KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",1)

StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)

END

fires immediately on the death of the bandit, and then somehow the global in Kagain's dialogue that is supposed to close this loop (SetGlobal("X#KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",2) does not get set. Unfortunately, this global is within the dialogue chain, so we have to skip by it to the end of the whole sequence, ("X#KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",5).

Notes to the development team: we can clear some things up by:

1. stripping all of X#KABAND interactions out of Phase 1 (D and BAF), and putting them into Core, so that if for some strange reason someone only installs Core it will still work.

2. Setting KABAND neutral and assigning a script to her that will get her interacting with the party, rather than immediately attacking.

3. Set both 'CombatCounter(0)' and !See([ENEMY]) on the above script.

I just don't know what is stopping that global from closing; this has not occurred on my various playthroughs and I can't find other reports.

1. stripping all of X#KABAND interactions out of Phase 1 (D and BAF), and putting them into Core, so that if for some strange reason someone only installs Core it will still work.

As far as I know, current TUTU fixed the Kagain crash, so there is no need for the bandit encounter be in the Core. We want to keep the core free of any NPC-specific content, just tweaks and fixes that are needed to make the game cooperate with the later added content.

Waiting on the enemies to clear out/making her neutral to start are all good ideas.

Do we then need to move anything out of the Core stuff? This makes a big difference, as UB currently thinks that the conflicting Kagain content is in the BG1NPC Core fixes. I know that we patch some Kagain-related stuff in there; if it is duplication, can we move it to Phase1 or drop it entirely? I would go prospect again, but am tied up in a quick project at the moment...

Moving it in Phase I or II is a good idea, providing that current versions of EasyTUTU and TUTUfix do fix Kagain's crash in AR2800. Depending on how they do it, we can strip Kagain's recognizing the area part out, and just keep the bandit/son/fistula parts.

Hello -

providing that current versions of EasyTUTU and TUTUfix do fix Kagain's crash in AR2800

You can confine your evaluation of this to conventional Tutu, as I have done nothing in EasyTutu in terms of engaging this issue, and I receive no reports about it. I suspect that it is fixed in Tutu 4 / Tutufix 15/17 core bug fixes (and so consequently, ET simply inherited the fixed-ness).

Thanks, Macready!

Well, does anyone think we need to fix this in-house anymore, if there are options conventional Tutu people can take to make their materials stable (and frankly, if they haven't included TutuFix in their install they are headed for a world of problems anyways?)

I am in favor of considering the BG1NPC version patching be removed, with a check for TutuFix and/or EasyTutu (and a FAIL that says to a conventional Tutu non-TutuFix version "yo, install TutuFix First, and by the way - learn to read the documentation :) ).

That means that the BG1UB folks could just check for the flag file for Phase1, and stop those restorations from installing that conflict. When they are finished, we could do the same, and skip our added quests/Tranzig, etc if BG1UB is installed first. Folks who want our content put us first, folks who want their restorations put them first.

HEY, big edit: never mind. We say in the tp2 that we "fix" this, but we don't have any code here or in JFIX or anywhere that I can find that does anything other than add to the area script.

/* Kagain Caravan quest fix */

/* area patching */

EXTEND_BOTTOM ~_AR2800.bcs~ ~BG1NPC/Core/BAF/P#FW2800.baf~

just creates the bandit and a new body {CreateCreature("BURN01",[3895.2611],3)}, then the tp2 populates bandit and item. I can move all this to

which one: Phase1 interjections or Phase2 quests?

I also cannot find the fix in TutuFix v17 listed anywhere. I will go prospecting in Tutu v4...

Well, found it in TutuFix -- apparently it is a set of dialogues to fix, basically replacing most of Kagain's original J file. Our JFIX only cleans up non-conditional staes, and does not touch the caravan.

Since TutuFix already has a minor fix which has an ending (though not much or any content), and the other stuff (Trazig/Shar-Teel, Kivan/Tazok, ect.) are handled by UB in a different way, I will check for those potential conflicts and put them all in the same phase (I am pretty sure that is Phase2). If someone just fixes the core, then they get the basics; if they install the Qiests, they get the added content.

ok, just realized this was an internal discussion held in public :) Moving any further discussion to the workroom. At least you guys all know we are working hard to get the next version cleaned up and out to you ;)

OK, looked into it, and if you are using Tutu, well (duh!) this should not be happening. :) If you are using BGT, then report over at SHS and send SirBillyBob to this post; it may help him troubleshoot the BGT conversion.

Somehow Kagain is not setting the correct global, and that means he keeps trying to talk to you but instead triggers his "Player-Initiated Dialogues".

We have no code I can find that triggers anything on seeing the body; the only trigger I can find so far is the encounter with the Bandit.

The only thing that I can think of is that perhaps you killed the Bandit before she got a chance to talk to you, or killed the bandit during combat and are using tactics that allow some time to pass (run arround shooting arrows). That might explain the "body talk in combat" portion; it sure doesn't explain why you would constantly trigger PIDs.

Please try the quest again, and make sure you talk to the lady before you kill her (she says "Boy, are you in the wrong place... etc.), kill all the other bandits, and then kill her last, and see what happens. If it works, great, please post that; if it doesn't, try using CLUAConsole to set the quest finished, and see if the behavior stops. It will bail you out of the quest with the crest, but will skip the (very small) amount of cash Kagain gives you.

What seems to be happening:

The area script creates the creature, and then the Bandit Lady X#KABAND attacks. You kill her, setting up Dead("X#KABAND"). The script

IF

InParty(Myself)

Global("X#KagainBandit","GLOBAL",1)

Global("X#KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",0)

AreaCheck("FW2800")

Dead("X#KABAND")

THEN

RESPONSE #100

PlaySong(0)

PlaySound("kagain99")

SetGlobal("X#KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",1)

StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)

END

fires immediately on the death of the bandit, and then somehow the global in Kagain's dialogue that is supposed to close this loop (SetGlobal("X#KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",2) does not get set. Unfortunately, this global is within the dialogue chain, so we have to skip by it to the end of the whole sequence, ("X#KagainCaravan","GLOBAL",5).

Notes to the development team: we can clear some things up by:

2. Setting KABAND neutral and assigning a script to her that will get her interacting with the party, rather than immediately attacking.

3. Set both 'CombatCounter(0)' and !See([ENEMY]) on the above script.

I just don't know what is stopping that global from closing; this has not occurred on my various playthroughs and I can't find other reports.

First off, thanks for going to so much trouble to investigate, I appreciate it.

I am using Tutu (a manual installation of version 4) and the most recent Tutufix. The bandit always speaks to me and I usually kill her relatively fast. I'll try Ctrl-Y'ing the bandit after she speaks this time just in case I AM taking too long to kill her (my party is fairly low-leveled, so sometimes there's a goood bit of misses dragging the fight out) and if that doesn't work I'll try using the global you suggested. Just so I know what I'm missing I guess I'll ask for some spoilers: what exactly does the rest of the fistula quest entail, anyway?

I'm also relieved to know that the rest of these responses were an internal discussion because after reply #3 or so I had no CLUE what you guys were talking about, heh.

EDIT: Only thing that seems to work (short of using the console to turn off the quest entirely) is killing the bandit WITHOUT getting close enough to the body for Kagain to start his whole OCD ritual. Then I can take the fistula and leave the map, as long as I don't get any closer to the kid ever again. If "found the body, now I'm a wanted man, can I join you" is his only dialogue on that entire map then I guess I can continue from here and finish the quest (I assume) when I finally get to Baldur's Gate, provided I don't return to that map and move too close to the body.

Just so I know what I'm missing I guess I'll ask for some spoilers: what exactly does the rest of the fistula quest entail, anyway?

You can return it to Silvershield's wife on the estate in BG1.

Not sure if this is a bug, but the bandit with the fistula never talks to me.

Is she supposed to? She's blue for a few moments as I approach, but turns red before I get in range, and doesn't say a thing.

But I have never tried it with Kaigan in the party.

Well, maybe... Berelinde, are you using alpha 6, alpha 7, or alpha 8?

If it is alpha 7 or 8, I have messed something up. In 7 or 8, she should be blue (neutral), then come up to the party and talk, then go hostile and spring her ambush (spawn some nasty ol' bandits).

Two other things for you, Berelinde - could you pick up Kivan, and see if his PIDs work? Inuna has a problem where one of his banters (!?!!) comes up instead of his PID.

Second, that _AJANTJ.D was definitely ... interesting. Could you go back, and move a copy of WeiDU.exe into your EasyTutu folder, move a copy of _AJANTJ.DLG from your EasyTutu override folder into the same folder as the copy of WeiDU.exe , and try again? It looks like WeiDU (or whatever editor program you were using) was using the DIALOG.TLK file from a regular BG2 install, rather than a Tutu install.

Thank you!

(Edited for clarity based on Domi's post -- thank you :) )

Archived