Crom Faeyr Doesn't perform as billed

Crom Faeyr is billed as having "the ability to kill Golems, Ettins and Trolls in one blow."

But it does only a few:

Class GOLEM_STONE

Class GOLEM_CLAY

Class TROLL

Which leaves Flesh golems, Iron Golems, Brain Golems, Sand golems, Adamantite Golems, Sewage Golems, etc, etc, etc... not dying.- well, actually, the only other golem classes are GOLEM_IRON and GOLEM_FLESH, but still...

Adn, of course, Ettins are not listed at all; since they don't have their own class, I'm not surprised. The only Ettin in the game as delivered is encountered before you can possibly get Crom Faeyr, so it's oversight is not terrible.

CRE: Race/General/Class

PETTIN.CRE: GIANT/GIANT_HUMANOID/MAGE??? (it's not used anyway)

SAHOTY01.CRE: GIANT/GIANT_HUMANOID/GIANT

PLSHFG01.CRE: GIANT/GIANT_HUMANOID/GIANT

PLSHFG02.CRE: GIANT/GIANT_HUMANOID/GIANT

hrm; is there a WAY to have it slay creatures by Animation ID? Because we can't have it slaying all giants when it's not billed as doing so. hrm; perhaps we can set a SPECIFIC.IDS for Ettins... Yes, that seems like the solution. Or we can make a Class GIANT_ETTIN. Eithr is a reasonable solution.

Except down in the actual statistics section, it gets specific (original description, emphasis mine):

Crom Faeyr

This is the true name that the dwarven weaponsmith, Silverblade, gave to the weapon he intended to create for his son. Alas, his son died before the weapon was ever completed, but here it stands complete... forged from the combined magic of the original hammer with the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Girdle of Frost Giant Strength. Crom Faeyr gifts its users with all the powers of the original Hammer of Thunderbolts, in addition to enormous strength and the ability to kill golems, ettins and trolls in one blow.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities:

grants 25 Strength

kills Stone Golems, Clay Golems, Ettins and Trolls

Thac0: +5 bonus

Damage: 2D4 + 3

Damage type: crushing

Weight: 4

Speed Factor: 1

Proficiency Type: War Hammer

Type: 1-handed

Not Usable By:

Druid

Mage

Thief

I trust the actual meat-and-potatoes of the stats section over the garnish of the description. :suspect: As an aside, it looks like the original BD GTU adds some unwanted changes to the descript that we may want to drop: specifically, adding that it kills bone and sand golems.

Trolls are now addressed by our extensive troll review--Crom failed to kill most of them because they were not properly set as trolls. (Ironically, one of the very few trolls on which Crom worked dandy pre-Fixpack is Grae, one of the few trolls you actually do not want to kill instantly.) As you mention, there's only one ettin in the game and it's well before you can acquire Crom, and both stone and clay golems will be slain.

If you're a paladin, you get 3 ettins. In my current game, I did Underdark before the paladin stronghold, so I theoretically could have had Crom Fayr made, but I did not do the planar sphere or the Umar Hills yet, either.

OK, so they, for some reason didn't want it to kill flesh class or iron class golems.

But they never did the Ettin, anyway. And i almost forgot about that Paladin quest to fight the battle in the Umar Hills.

Heh, the PnP version http://www.coryj.net/CoreRule/corerule.php?page=DD01098.htm always kills all giants, except, perhaps, storm giants. and is supposed to get 2d4+13 (+2+5 enchantment +6 Gauntlets), leaving you with 2d4+27 damage. And it can be toosed (rate 1/2) and if tossed auto-stuns everyone within 90'.

And that was, crazily, on the standard roll up an item table; ending up being 1 trasure in 1600... heh, at least the original DMG had it on the Artifacts table.

Anyone know if other mods already add a racial entry for ettins? I know BP doesn't, but otherwise no idea.

// add ettin racial entry; needed to give Crom ability to insta-kill ettins
APPEND ~race.ids~ ~199 ETTIN~ UNLESS ~199 ETTIN~

// clasify ettins as ettin race so Crom Faeyr will work
COPY_EXISTING ~pettin.cre~   ~override~
		  ~plshfg01.cre~ ~override~
		  ~plshfg02.cre~ ~override~
		  ~sahoty01.cre~ ~override~
 WRITE_BYTE 0x272 199 // race: ettin
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

// add ability to kill ettins to Crom
COPY_EXISTING ~hamm09.itm~ ~override~
 READ_LONG   0x64 "abil_off"
 READ_SHORT  0x68 "abil_num"
 READ_LONG   0x6a "fx_off"
 READ_SHORT  0x70 "fx_num"
 SET "delta" = 0
 FOR (index = 0; index < abil_num; index = index + 1) BEGIN // looks for melee ability header
READ_BYTE   ("%abil_off%" +		("%index%" * 0x38)) "type"
READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x20 + ("%index%" * 0x38)) "abil_fx_idx"
SET "abil_fx_idx" = ("%abil_fx_idx%" + "%delta%")
WRITE_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x20 + ("%index%" * 0x38)) "%abil_fx_idx%"
PATCH_IF ("%type%" = 1) BEGIN // melee ability check
  READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x1e + ("%index%" * 0x38)) "abil_fx_num"
  WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x1e + ("%index%" * 0x38)) ("%abil_fx_num%" +  1)
  INSERT_BYTES  ("%fx_off%" +		("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 0x30 // new effect
	WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" +		("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 55   // slay
	WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x02 + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 2	// target: preset target
	WRITE_LONG  ("%fx_off%" + 0x04 + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 199  // ettin from
	WRITE_LONG  ("%fx_off%" + 0x08 + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 4	// race.ids
	WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x0c + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 1	// instant/perm
	WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x12 + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 100  // probability
  SET "delta" = ("%delta%" + 1)
END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Archived