Hell Trial 5 - Wrath missing stat for evil path

Dammit, I had a nagging feeling I should have done a search first, and now I remember why--the bonuses are removed intentionally.

You already get a +2 strength bonus for giving in to your wrath and killing Sarevok when you open the Tear Door. Given the lack of notification and that all other challenges reward the player at the door (instead of instantly) it was concluded that the bonuses in the area script were leftover cruft and removed.

it was concluded that the bonuses in the area script were leftover cruft and removed.

This couldn't be more wrong, it was part of the dialog and certainly intentional. Removing it is changing the game from the way the designers intended it.

it was concluded that the bonuses in the area script were leftover cruft and removed.

This couldn't be more wrong, it was part of the dialog and certainly intentional. Removing it is changing the game from the way the designers intended it.

The bonus itself is most assuredly not part of the dialogue--the dialogue sets a variable depending on your choices (good v. evil), the same as every other hell test. Unlike every other hell test, the area script kicks in these bonuses for taking the 'evil' path of fighting Sarevok. All trials, including Wrath, grant their rewards when you use the Tear in the door. Essentially, evil characters get a double bonus for the Wrath trial, which is inconsistent with every other trial and path.

This is definitely not a B&W fix, and you can see from the linked post (and devSin's comment) that the team is split over it.

i Essentially, evil characters get a double bonus for the Wrath trial, which is inconsistent with every other trial and path.

You don't get double the bonus, you get +1 str. Or at least thats what I always got. The reward for the tear is +2 str.

The reward always triggered after you picked the evil choice and I assumed it was because you demanded power. Seemed like part of the storyline to me.

This seems much more like game balancing then bugfixing. Perhaps it should be optional.

*EDIT*

Oh yes i forgot to add, Hell gives bonuses for the evil path many times, IE the part were you have to sacrifice dex and also blackrazor.

Oh yes i forgot to add, Hell gives bonuses for the evil path many times, IE the part were you have to sacrifice dex and also blackrazor.

This is actually true, and it never occurred to me before. Evil arguably comes out better off in all trials: loot from the dragon, the nymph cloak, avoiding losing stats, and blackrazor.

This is actually true, and it never occurred to me before. Evil arguably comes out better off in all trials: loot from the dragon, the nymph cloak, avoiding losing stats, and blackrazor.
I'm inclined to say this is leftover cruft, but it doesn't really bother me.

You get severe penalties for being good in one of the rooms, killer items for being evil; why not a 1 point stat boost for the bad guys as well?

I just don't make any sense, do I?

Archived