Finished!

EiriktheScald

I completed my first game of BG1. Is it supposed end with the game credits after killing Sarevok? It reminds me of a certain pirate movie sequal--an ending that really doesn't wrap things up too well (or, not at all).

I have one last comment about Branwen. There are a couple of banters, which I disliked:

Branwen to Minsc: "Oh, I'm sure. Perhaps you could use those muscles of yours to impress me in other ways sometime, hmm?"

Branwen to Ajantis: "Perhaps a little loosening of your battered frame's tensions is in order? Tempus has granted me the skill to heal as well as harm... In many ways, that would doubtless surprise one such as you."

Now, keep in mind that I went through the romance with Branwen, and these were said after her talk about "The Lord of Battles is... a demanding deity." It seems to me that she does not take her own words to heart. Perhaps the banters are just ill-timed; but if someone told me her heart belonged to her god and then turned around and started flirting with other guys, I'd draw the conclusion that it was a line to let me down easy.

--EiriktheDirgesinger :(

Bummer. As for the banters, I bet there is no RomanceActive check involved. In other words, if you were a female, say, romancing some guy, you'd get them, too, but they would make more sense and not bug you so much.

Still, they do sound like they should have state checks for active romances. My female pc wouldn't care one way or t'other if Branwen was putting the move on Minsc, but she'd better keep her mitts off Ajantis!

Anyone else care to comment?

Still, they do sound like they should have state checks for active romances. My female pc wouldn't care one way or t'other if Branwen was putting the move on Minsc, but she'd better keep her mitts off Ajantis!

It's the reluctancy to prevent the "older" Phase I content from showing up because of the "newer" Phase III content. None of these banters appeared to indicate any serious feelings involved, and it is relatively normal in RL for others to make passes on people engaged in other relationships - either by not knowing or whatever. After all, Anomen will still be stunned by Viconia's appearance even if he romances PC.

It's the reluctancy to prevent the "older" Phase I content from showing up because of the "newer" Phase III content. None of these banters appeared to indicate any serious feelings involved, and it is relatively normal in RL for others to make passes on people engaged in other relationships - either by not knowing or whatever. After all, Anomen will still be stunned by Viconia's appearance even if he romances PC.

Well, that's my point. The phase I and phase III content combined, gave me the impression that instead of persuing a deep relationship with the PC, she would rather engage in cheap tricks to appease her god. Not really how I perceived her character. For me, it was a disappointment.

Sound, and well reasoned points from both of you guys, and just the sort of thing that is perfect for when you team up for the

"Eirik the Scald NPC Mod -- an Expansion Pack for BG1NPC for Tutu.

This mod introduces a new NPC Skald to BG1 Tutu, Eirik. It requires BG1NPC be installed, and allows an NPC/NPC romance conflict, wherre Eirik and Player1 vie for Branwen's affection.." etc., etc...,

The ideas make sense, and I heartily agree with the analysis, but the Phase1 authors are hard to reach (except Domi and Andyr) and significant changes to their work requires either heavy enough plot-breakage/4th wall breaking inconsistencies, or some serious turn around time (think months, and we are releasing in days). We really can only deal with spelling, grammar, unclear authors' intent, etc.

And I am serious about the extension... BG1NPC may have a lockdown on content as of today, but modding exists independently of any one project. I bet if you asked Domi why SHE got involved, it was because she wanted to see her favorite character/(s) done correctly.

So keep the conversation going, I am not a wet blanket here, just understand that what you are doing is gathering discussion materials for how a future mod will improve/expand upon existing content. We are not able to chnage the banters significantly at this point :(.

Well, that will pretty much mean doing a separate Branwen's content from Phase I through to Phase III, because Phase III was somewhat tuned into Phase I (ie there is no serious commitment, and Branwen choses her diety over the romance, she is pictured along the lines Karakodin gave when he developped her. It's not a bad thing, just a different character interpretation. :(

Well, that will pretty much mean doing a separate Branwen's content from Phase I through to Phase III, because Phase III was somewhat tuned into Phase I (ie there is no serious commitment, and Branwen choses her diety over the romance, she is pictured along the lines Karakodin gave when he developped her. It's not a bad thing, just a different character interpretation. :(

Exactly. :p It comes down to the player's interpretation of choosing diety over romance. I saw her all along as a sort of Jeanne d'Arc.

However, with respect to the banter with Minsc -- which I find most disagreeable -- I find it very out-of-character. With the exception of the PC, I do not recall her ever using such innuendo with other men in the party. She didn't even fall prey to Coran's charms. ;)

Archived