Feedback on Nightcloak of Shar kit

Tonton Fred

Hello everyone,

I have installed this kit on an already underway party including a level 14 Viconia, which might explain some of the problems I got. Globally, the abilities work well (the chakram is nice to use, even if Viconia is often too busy casting to throw them) and are quite useful (blindness immunity is very rare, confusion is great when used with greater malison, silence 15' is quite handy against mages...).

However, on the spells side, things are not so well in my game. I noticed several things when I loaded the game :

- Viconia is missing draw upon holy might at level 2 ( sphere combat)

- protection from evil 10' missing from level 4 ( sphere protection, I realized this just before being dismembered by a demon)

- negative plane protection is among her level 3 spells (should be 4th) ; besides, the spell description does not indicate the level of the spell, it is the only one I've seen missing it

So... I CLUA-ed XP points to Viconia and kept levelling her level after level (going straight too high really messed up the spellbook) up to level 22 : the slots kept increasing according to the kits' rules, and I started to get the first HLA at lvl 22 (Shar's curse, very nice btw :D ) but I didn't get Draw upon Holy might or Protection from Evil 10' radius, nor did Neg Plane Prot get corrected.

To make sure that these bugs were not caused by my applying the kit on a started game, I started a new game, CLUAed Viconia (VICONI6) and made her join my party : she was level 8 and had exactly the same problems.

Still, all in all it's great work, brings variety to the gameplay, congrats to the authors !

On a sidenote, I noticed that all "cause wounds"-type spells are in the "healing" sphere. Shouldn't they rather be in the necromantic sphere (I mean from a logical POV, not necessarily following the PnP rules) ?

Anyway, let me know if you can reproduce any of this, or if I'm just having a bad case of too-many-mods-at-the-same-time again,

Cheers,

Fred

EDIT : I just read the new spells list and seems like I should be able to get Beast Claw (sphere combat/necro) but it doesn't appear in the book.

We have corrected the spheres and levels of several BG2 spells to match their pnp counterparts. Draw Upon Holy Might is supposed to be in the summoning sphere (which Nightcloaks don't get), while both Protection from Evil 10' Radius and Negative Plane Protection are level 3 spells in pnp.

The Cause Wounds spells are the reverse forms of the Cure Wounds spells, which means they have to be in the same sphere.

Not sure why you're not getting Beast Claw - perhaps it hasn't been properly implemented yet? Don't forget that the Cleric Remix is still a beta :D.

Thanks for the quick reply,

We have corrected the spheres and levels of several BG2 spells to match their pnp counterparts. Draw Upon Holy Might is supposed to be in the summoning sphere (which Nightcloaks don't get), while both Protection from Evil 10' Radius and Negative Plane Protection are level 3 spells in pnp.

Alright... but I should be getting Protection from Evil 10' Radius as level 3, right ? Coz I don't :D

By the way, is there a spell list including all the corrections you made and the sphere info ? I spent an insane amount of time yesterday running through the original European manual (font size 2 :D ), which DOESN'T list the spells' spheres :D

Fred

Are you Fred S Richardson?

Thanks for the praise. :D

I'll check the spell issues, since we're dealing with lots of them we may have made an error. I don't think Beast Claw has been implemented yet.

Some sort of master spell list with all the info would probably be a good idea. I'll have a think about how best to do this (spreadsheet or big html page), anyone got any ideas?

Are you Fred S Richardson?

Fred who ? Errrr.... I mean, yes, yes, absolutely.

:D

Ok, not really. :D

I'll check the spell issues, since we're dealing with lots of them we may have made an error.

Actually, after Nightmare's reply, there is only one issue left : Viconia does not get Protection from Evil 10' Radius like she should. She does get the individual version, though.

I checked the list of changes compiled by CamDawg, and while definitely useful, the best thing would be to have a complete list - unmodified and modified spells alike. Since the game manual (mine at least) doesn't specify each spell's sphere, such a list would be invaluable, at least during the beta phase, for checking whether a cleric really gets the spells he/she should be allowed to - no more (for which this list is ok), no less (for which you would need a complete cleric spells list). As it was, I had to create a party with a straight cleric and a Nightcloak to compare which spells they would be getting.

For now, I just have Viconia carry a bundle of Pro Evil scrolls, and pretend she can only cast one between each resting point. :D

Cheers,

Fred

I've added the spreadsheet we use to determine sphere restrictions to the "changes" thread. It lists sphere restrictions for pretty much everything. And you're correct, Nightcloaks should get Protection from Evil 10' Radius.

I've added the spreadsheet we use to determine sphere restrictions to the "changes" thread.

Very nice... Never underestimate the power of a spreadsheet : took me 5 minutes to check all spells where I needed 30 yesterday :D

And I can confirm that Prot Evil 10 seems to be the only thing to change ! :D

Looking forward to the next version of the Remix !

Cheers,

Fred

Archived