Potion Requires identification

Hi all, finally i register here as well :D

First of all i'd like to thank you for your work (not only for this tweaks :p ) ... some options are really great and i won't play BG anymore without them :(

Regarding the object of this post, i noticed that potions in the game needs to be identified, BUT you still can use them (Both drink and put in quick slot), is it possible to force them to be identified FIRST or "block" the chance to drink/use them if you didn't identify them? Being not a modder i don't know if it's a limit of the engine ;)

Thanks and cheers!

mm75

Why not? It's more realistic this way imo. There's no allmighty force to stop me from drinking something whether I know what it is or not...

It's more realistic for sure, i asked for that reason :(

But i dunnow the engine of the game ... maybe you can't force to "hide" the "drink box" when you open the potion window, always nice to ask before, not being me a modder ;)

mm75

Yeah, I thought it was a good idea until I realized that cursed potions would never, ever be used. (Not that they are now...) If I was going to tackle a way to make cursed potions be harder to distinguish, I would go after all the cursed items instead of a handful of potions. :(

Yeah, I thought it was a good idea until I realized that cursed potions would never, ever be used. (Not that they are now...) If I was going to tackle a way to make cursed potions be harder to distinguish, I would go after all the cursed items instead of a handful of potions. :(

I think we are going away from my topic sirs ;)

My request (may be in a bad english, sorry :D ) was due mainly for one reason: why can i throw a burning oil potion if i don't know what is it inside? My suggestion was to leave ALL unidentified potions to be UNUSABLE (ie=non be able to put in quick slots) and undrinkable until identified. I can also assume that i (as player character) don't want to drink a potion i don't know what is going to do ...

Cursed potions are a different story :p

mm75

Well, identifications are expensive, especially in the early game... so an adventurer might forego that and drink it. Especially, considering the current state of affairs, where every potion is uniquely identified by icon, even the cursed ones, there is no mistaking what the potion is if you are saavy.

But yes, if we made cursed potions appear identical to normal ones, then it would be very dangerous.

Well, identifications are expensive, especially in the early game... so an adventurer might forego that and drink it. Especially, considering the current state of affairs, where every potion is uniquely identified by icon, even the cursed ones, there is no mistaking what the potion is if you are saavy.

But yes, if we made cursed potions appear identical to normal ones, then it would be very dangerous.

That another good point to have ANY non-identified potion to be unusable. You need to pay to identify it and HEAVY-modded games have LOT of money to spend and this adds a bit more challenge and more reasons to spend the thousand of gold you risk to have "unused" :(

mm75

I don't think its possible to have an item "not equipable in a quick slot" if you want to eventually be able to equip it.

It would mean replacing the item completely once its identified.

A better fix would be the one above to have all potions identical until identified but then its the same problem...replacing the item after identification.

The fact of the matter is that you can throw a bottle at someone even if you don't know whats in it same as you can drink a bottle not knowing whats in it. It doesn't make sense that all unidentified items should be unusable what should really be the case is that all unidentified items should be unidentifiable until indentified...does that make sense.

I think a better solution would be to let all potions have 3 options:

Drink it

Throw it

Coat your weapon in it

You get all 3 options, whether the potion is identified, or not.

I have a demonstration of this, but it's tired up with a lot of other stuff. I'll separate it out to a standalone, if there's interest.

I think a better solution would be to let all potions have 3 options:

Drink it

Throw it

Coat your weapon in it

You get all 3 options, whether the potion is identified, or not.

I have a demonstration of this, but it's tired up with a lot of other stuff. I'll separate it out to a standalone, if there's interest.

Fair enough for me :(

You got 1 cent from me ;)

mm75

Archived