Class descriptions

WizWom

On the SHS forums, someone got into a discussion of Monks, and someone (erroneously) said they wouldn't be able to hit Kangaxx. Now, the ToB manual says at level 25 monks can hit +4; but it's not in the text (#45867) describing Monks.

Just think these things should be complete.

I wonder why !strref is labaled "do not use" in the documentation for WeiDU; it would seem to be a no-brainer to have the updated text be in the same STRREF so one wouldn't have to play with trying to track down references. I suspect the reason has to do with the string re-use feature of WeiDU, but I wonder what TheBigg says about it over in the WeiDU forum at pocketplane.

The wizard slayer's MR is mentioned in the unmodded game:

- Innate magic resistance starts at 14% and gains 1% per level until level 20, then alternates between 5% and 1% each level thereafter

None of the base classes besides the monk and barbarian have their advantages and disadvantages listed.

EDIT: Another slight correction for the monk description:

- A monk's natural armor class gets better as the monk goes up in levels. Armor class starts off at 9, and then decreases by 1 for every 2 levels until level 21, then every 3 levels until 30, then every 5 levels until 40.

This would mean that the monk's AC increases at levels 1, 3, 5 -> 17, 19, 21, 24, etc. However, it actually increases at 1, 2, 4, 6 -> 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, etc. So the description should be changed to:

- A monk's natural armor class gets better as the monk goes up in levels. Armor class starts off at 9, and then decreases by 1 at level 2, level 4, level 6 and so un until level 18, then every 3 levels until level 30, then every 5 levels until level 40.
The wizard slayer's MR is mentioned in the unmodded game:

- Innate magic resistance starts at 14% and gains 1% per level until level 20, then alternates between 5% and 1% each level thereafter

This is why I have a clean base, patched install. In that, with the Bioware patch only, I have "- 1% magic resistence per level"

The Wiz Slayer description is the same in SoA and ToB:

WIZARD SLAYER: This warrior has been specially trained by his sect to excel in hunting and attacking spellcasters of all kinds.

Advantages:

- For each successful hit on an opponent, 10% cumulative spell failure penalty is applied.

- 1% magic resistance per level

Disadvantages:

- May not use any magic items except for weapons and armor

The Game Text Update component of Fixpack keeps the changes made by the BD GTU:

WIZARD SLAYER: These warriors have been specially trained by their sect to excel in hunting and attacking spellcasters of all kinds.

Advantages:

- For each successful hit on an opponent, 10% cumulative spell failure penalty is applied.

Disadvantages:

- May not use ANY magic items (potions other than healing potions, scrolls, rings, amulets, cloaks, etc.) except for weapons and armor

We do need to distinguish the SoA and ToB descriptions. SoA is a straight 1% per level; it's only ToB that starts alternating the goofy 1%/5%.

Ah wait, I got that from a text file I made of my old dialog.tlk, not the current one :hm:.

EDIT: Apparently the dproblem regarding the description of the monk's AC I mentioned above is actually introduced by Baldurdash, it's not a part of BG2 :blush:. The original text reads:

A monk's natural armor class gets better as he goes up in levels. His armor class starts off at 9, and then decreases by 1 for every 2 levels.

One more suggested change:

- The monk can make 1 unarmed attack per round, and gains 1/2 an additional attack every 3 levels.

to:

- The monk can make 1 unarmed attack per round, and gains 1/2 an additional attack every 3 levels to a maximum of 4 attacks per round at level 18.

Archived