are there any Tutu mods featuring a BG2 dragon?

Lemernis

I enjoyed DSotSC years ago, back when it was (as far as I knew) the first and only BG1 mod available. I particularly enjoyed playing a custom "Arthurian Knights" party consisting of mostly paladins with Dark Side. I was fairly disappointed, however, to encounter a wyvern at the end of the "dragon" quest instead of a bonafide dragon.

Now with Tutu's use of the BG2 engine, I'm wondering: is there a Tutu mod out there that features a real dragon encounter?, i.e., one from the BG2 creature palette?

If not, I would love to see a Tutu mod featuring an encounter with a real dragon.

It would make sense for it to be the toughest encounter faced throughout the entire series (to ToB). Mainly because a level 1-10 party is facing an enemy of that caliber. Some carefully selected AI tweaks for more intelligent behavior (spellcasting) such as David has demonstrated with SCS might make this one of the most epic fights in the series.

Dragons in D&D have no less than 12 age categories which influence their hit points, armor class, combat modifiers, number of spells and abilities, etc.

The dragons in SoA and ToB all appear to be members of the most powerful and ancient category, that of the 1200+ year old "Great Wyrm"; there's no reason a BG1 dragon couldn't be of a lower age category. For example, an "Old" red dragon would have roughly 3/4 of Firkraag's hitpoints and THAC0, half the number of spells, and so on.

Yeah, perhaps make it a younger one just to give the party a fighting chance.

I'm just daydreaming here. But where would you like to see a dragon lair? Perhaps in the Cloud Peaks?

I can envison a fun battle vs. a dragon in the ankheg pit/den in the map with the ankheg warden and tiny fishing village just south of BG city's bridge. That underground den is pretty lair-like. On the one hand, it might be tough for the party to maneuver in there. But by the same token it affords good places to hide and strike from.

Ooh! Also! (heh!) Per canon there's supposed to be a very ancient and powerful silver 'sentinal wyrm' in the Candlekeep catacombs named Miirym. See here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030521a. Miirym is featured also in FRCS 3.0 p. 226. This is a dragon folks could avoid fighting if they wish. Well, she's a ghost, actually, but a dragon nevertheless. She's magically bound to guard the catacombs. Miiryam is lonely, enjoys chatting, and appreciates learning news from the outside world. She will attack with impunity anyone who tries to sneak a book out of the great library. Also, there are supposed to be storage caverns within the catacombs (add some secret doors and recycle some of the game's other areas).

Just to clarify, I don't mean put a dragon in the ankheg pit in the fishing village map. Rather, possibly recycle that particular map (sans the anhegs, and with different loot piles) for a dragon's lair to be placed... I dunno... wherever. Dragons do seem to prefer mountain caves. I'm sure making new areas is a pain, but the terrain used for the mountains in the gnoll stronghold map appears most suitable.

Just to clarify, I don't mean put a dragon in the ankheg pit in the fishing village map. Rather, possibly recycle that particular map (sans the anhegs, and with different loot piles) for a dragon's lair to be placed... I dunno... wherever. Dragons do seem to prefer mountain caves. I'm sure making new areas is a pain, but the terrain used for the mountains in the gnoll stronghold map appears most suitable.

I don't know about the ankheg pit, seems like it would be awfully cramped for a (full size) dragon. I can't think of any truly suitable maps in BG1, so it would perhaps be a better idea to recycle an area from BG2 or IWD1/2. (played out though that may be)

The wyvern cave in CW4 would be suitable, but you'd want to edit out the dragon corpse in the western end, though. I can't imagine any dragon living in a place inhabited by a decomposing carcass.

I always thought that the corpse is that of a giant wyvern. Perhaps it is a dragon. Been a long time since I played BG1.

- D

Archived