Alignment Changes: CE

Cam:

There were a lot of Cowled Wizards with no alignments or good alignments, which were generally changed wholesale to LE. Same with the pirates at Bynnlaw and the smugglers hiding at The Thumb's. Good, bad, or indifferent?

David Gaider:

Pirates and smugglers, meanwhile, shouldn't be Lawful at all. Tsk. Bad all around.

Cam:

Yeah, it seems the default alignments for pirates was LN; Fixpack changes them to be mainly LE. I'll be honest here--to me, getting chaotic v lawful isn't nearly as important here as getting good v evil correct. There's only one item that affects creatures based on chaotic v lawful, whereas there's a grip of spells and items that differentiate effects for good v evil. To summarize my rambling, what would you suggest as a good 'generic' pirate alignment?

DG

Generically I would say CE. They are a lawless, anarchic bunch who can barely follow the rules even when they're on a ship and would just as soon mutiny and stab each other in the back. I would almost say CN, but you're right on the alignment-affected items... Best to make them all evil based on that alone.
Guest tonight's guest star - Evily
The ranger-ish fanatic is the product of incest (like he says, the drow killed his father and brother), so I don't pay much attention to him (I probably make him CN or something).

Are you absolutely sure that his phraseology means that his father and his brother are one and the same, or what do you base this imputation of incest on? I always understood them as being separate people -- "the Drow killed both my father and my brother." Then again, English is not my native tongue and this has nothing to do with the thread's subject matter...

As for the witch burners, there's nothing much separating them from the people who throughout the centuries have congregated to watch public executions -- except the legality of it in this case :) (On the other hand, this is in the Government District, just outside the town's prison, so maybe Vic was legally sentenced after all? It's a pretty strange place for a "lynching," considering all the uninterested guardsmen around the plaza.)

On the other hand, this is in the Government District, just outside the town's prison, so maybe Vic was legally sentenced after all? It's a pretty strange place for a "lynching," considering all the uninterested guardsmen around the plaza.
Perhaps, but I find it hard to believe that worshippers of Beshaba would bother with legal trivialities. :) They might've bribed or intimidated the guards though.
Are you absolutely sure that his phraseology means that his father and his brother are one and the same, or what do you base this imputation of incest on? I always understood them as being separate people -- "the Drow killed both my father and my brother." Then again, English is not my native tongue and this has nothing to do with the thread's subject matter...
I'm just poking fun at a grammar mistake in his dialogue; it's almost certain that they didn't intend to imply that he was speaking about one person, no.
Guest Evilyn ruined a joke

... sorry ... :)

(Though my annoyingly elaborate phrasing was also a joke, of sorts, except directed at myself -- feeling a little bored today.)

And the changes here, per Gaider's feedback:

pirmur01.cre - Galvena - originally Lawful Neutral
pirmur02.cre - Assassin - originally Chaotic Neutral
pirpir01.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
pirpir02.cre - Andar the Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
pirpir03.cre - Olben the Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
pirpir05.cre - Chremy - originally NONE
pirpir07.cre - Pirate Bill - originally Lawful Neutral
pirpir08.cre - Pirate Dan - originally Lawful Neutral
pirpir09.cre - Pirate Jimmy - originally Lawful Neutral
pirpir10.cre - Pirate Scotty - originally Lawful Neutral
pirpir11.cre - Pirate Paul - originally Lawful Neutral
pirpir12.cre - Pirate Newf - originally Lawful Neutral
pirsea01.cre - Pirate Captain - originally True Neutral
pirsea02.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
pirsea03.cre - Pirate - originally True Neutral
ppdesh.cre - Desharik - originally Lawful Neutral
ppdesh2.cre - Desharik - originally Lawful Neutral
ppdoor.cre - Pirate Door Guard - originally Neutral Evil
ppduel1.cre - Andante - originally Lawful Neutral
ppduelc.cre - Duel Coordinator - originally Lawful Neutral
ppguard.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
ppguarda.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
pplackey.cre - Pirate - originally Neutral Evil
ppldr01.cre - Pirate Leader - originally Lawful Neutral
ppmag01.cre - Pirate Mage - originally True Neutral
pppirate.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
ppsail01.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
ppsail02.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
ppsail03.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
ppthf01.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
ppthf02.cre - Pirate - originally Lawful Neutral
ppumb01.cre - Priestess of Umberlee - originally Lawful Evil

The Priestess of Umberlee is a new one I happened to catch--Umberlee herself is CE.

Archived