Cam's Playthrough bugs

CamDawg

Drow Admantine Chain +5 has no lore value so it always shows up identified.

The Keep Messenger and Dermin Courtierdale spawn in Drizzt's random encounter area. Both have checks to prevent them spawning in any of the chapter six areas (Underdark Exit, Small Teeth Pass, North Forest, Forest of Tethyr) so it makes sense to also exclude them from this one. Given how long chapters four and five take it's almost guaranteed they'll spawn here (if you're in the right part of the plot), just as Delon will almost always be waiting with Elhan. ;)

Vittorio, the beggar from the Wish quest, can have 'no valid links' bugs when he moves into Delosar's Inn. If he appears slightly behind the wall, his See trigger will return false, leaving him with no valid states. If we move his location slightly everything fires without a hitch.

// if vittorio spawns behind wall, can break wish quest
REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT ~lout~ ~EscapeAreaMove("AR0514",[0-9]+,[0-9]+,4)~ ~EscapeAreaMove("AR0514",442,410,4)~

In the return to Bohdi's lair in chapter six, Valen greets you in the hallway. When she spots a party member, she sets some variables, displays a string, and attacks. The variables, in turn, prompt Del to transform out of his bat form and attack the party. If you kill Valen without her seeing you (i.e. via backstab) the variables don't get set and Del never transforms out of bat form.

// valen's premature death prevents Del changing from bat form and attacking
COPY_EXISTING ~c6valen.bcs~ ~override~
 DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~ReallyForceSpellDead(Myself,VALEN_MIST_FORM_CHANGE)~
  ~SetGlobal("ValenFight","AR0808",1) ReallyForceSpellDead(Myself,VALEN_MIST_FORM_CHANGE)~
 COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

A new conflict between UB and Fixpack: if you acquire the druid stronghold, Nilthiri (in the first stronghold quest) is unkillable if you've installed 'Corrected BAMs and Scripts' from UB. It's doing the same fix as Fixpack, but in a different enough fashion to introduce conflict. ;) I've provided a fix for UB v16.

In the meantime, avoid this component if you're planning on taking the druid stronghold. Alternatively you can workaround it by commenting out/deleting these lines from setup-ub.tp2, round about line 889:

COPY_EXISTING ~DRSHNL01.CRE~ ~override/DRSHNL01.CRE~ /* Nilthiri */
WRITE_ASCII   ~0x248~ ~DRSHNL01~					 /* Assigns the appropriate script */
WRITE_LONG	~0x250~ 0x00000000

EXTEND_TOP ~DRSHNL01.bcs~ ~ub/misc/u!nilthi.baf~	 /* Fixes Nilthiri's script */

COMPILE ~ub/misc/DRSHNL02.baf~

Two wand issues: Wand of the Heavens has no lore value so it always appears identified. I've always wondered why the Wand of Wonder was so expensive: it's overcharged. It has a max 10 charges--the version found in the alhoon's lair has 50 and this quintuples its sell value.

Can someone who has an understanding of mus files take a look at ar3001 (first level of Watcher's Keep)? The combat music isn't stopping for me.

// fixes overcharged wand o' wonder
COPY_EXISTING ~ar0711.are~ ~override~
 READ_SHORT 0x76 "itm_num"
 READ_LONG  0x78 "itm_off"
 FOR (index = 0; index < itm_num; index = index + 1) BEGIN
READ_ASCII ("%itm_off%" + ("%index%" * 0x14)) "item"
PATCH_IF ("%item%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "wand12" = 0) BEGIN
  WRITE_SHORT ("%itm_off%" + 0x0a + ("%index%" * 0x14)) 10
  SET "index" = "%itm_num%" // kills loop
END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

// wand o' heavens has no lore value
COPY_EXISTING ~wand11.itm~ ~override~
 WRITE_SHORT 0x42 50
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Can you post the MUS file contents? I'm sure it's just one of those things keeping the game in combat mode (or the combat music is the area music); you can't even really achieve constant playback with the playlist file, so it's something with your game (maybe a creature escaped or disappeared or is still targeting you or something) or with the area definition.

We need to do a mass charge check for all the items. I've put off doing it for years. For the Wand of Wonder, however, I do believe that giving the user 50 charges was intended.

For the Wand of Wonder, however, I do believe that giving the user 50 charges was intended.

Any particular reason?

For ar3001, day song and night song: mx0404.mus

Mx0404
SPC1
A
SPC1
SPC1
SPC1
SPC1

All other references are bd3.mus, which it looks like we nabbed code from japheth to try and fix this already:

COPY_EXISTING ~music/bd3.mus~ ~music~
 REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~G2 +A2 +@TAG +ZG2~ ~G2  BD3   A2		@TAG ZG2~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Before & after for bd3.mus follow:

BD3
A1				  @TAG Z
A2				  @TAG Z
B1				  @TAG Z
B2				  @TAG Z
C1				  @TAG Z
C2				  @TAG Z
C3A				 @TAG Z
C3B				 @TAG Z
D1				  @TAG Z
E1				  @TAG Z
F1A				 @TAG Z
F2				  @TAG Z
G1				  @TAG Z
G2		A2		@TAG ZG2
# A2 is loop

BD3
A1				  @TAG Z
A2				  @TAG Z
B1				  @TAG Z
B2				  @TAG Z
C1				  @TAG Z
C2				  @TAG Z
C3A				 @TAG Z
C3B				 @TAG Z
D1				  @TAG Z
E1				  @TAG Z
F1A				 @TAG Z
F2				  @TAG Z
G1				  @TAG Z
G2  BD3   A2		@TAG ZG2
# A2 is loop

Because it's in the evil den of mind flayers in the evil room of mind flayers and it's the stick variant of Sphere of Chaos. I don't think somebody accidentally said "this wand's ITM must specify 50 charges, I'm sure" before they stuck it in. More likely that they simply didn't care about the inflation from overcharged items.

There's nothing wrong with any of those MUS files. The engine alone controls when the music should play and when it should stop; the playlists simply hint at what it should do when it decides that it's supposed to do something.

It isn't the number of charges, it's more the resultant price inflation--you can sell the wand for ~15k whereas the next best wand (Wand of the Heavens) will be in the range of ~5k fully charged. Only the upgraded Short Sword of Mask +5 can be sold for more, and the only SoA items worth more than 10k are Balduran's Plate and the Staff of the Magi. I have no issue upping the max charges to 50 if that's more acceptable (that'll drop the price just as efficiently without losing charges) but I think the price is definitely a bug.

I think we need community feedback. I don't think the price was intentional, but I'm not sure that increasing the default charges is any better than lowering the actual charges.

I think we'd eventually find some value in the middle for the charges; the wand is fun but isn't terribly useful, so raising it from 10 can't make that big a deal.

We need to do a mass charge check for all the items. I've put off doing it for years. For the Wand of Wonder, however, I do believe that giving the user 50 charges was intended.
Similarly, we need to make sure that all those dumb duration fields are set to 0 (unless we've already done that).

Archived