Parse Errors and Mod Installation

Storm Rider

I am currently in the process of setting up BG2 to play (for the first time, as stated in my earlier thread) and despite having my list of mods planned out and which order they are to be installed, I am finding the process isn't as smooth as I was expecting.

I am finding that each mod can fall victim to parse error messages during installation, despite notifications saying that each component was successfully installed. When I see those error messages, I revert back to a stored save of the files listed at Pocket Plane (including the override folder). Attempting the process again will often be more successful but it seems to be getting trickier the more mods that have been installed. So far I have put on the following:

G3 Fixpack,

PPG Banterpack,

PPG NPC Flirtpack,

PPG D0QuestPack

The latest mod to go on was the G3 Oversight mod and despite having a slightly different installation order to the first time I put it on, I am seeing the same reported parse error continually appear when trying to install a mod after it. Oversight itself seems to install without any errors but any mod I try after throws up the following message:

[WeiDU.log] PARSE ERROR at line 47 column 1-1

Near Text: ~ #0 #0 // Tougher Sendai (ToB Required)

~

syntax error

[WeiDU.log] ERROR at line 47 column 1-1

Near Text: ~ #0 #0 // Tougher Sendai (ToB Required)

~

Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR: parsing [WeiDU.log]: Parsing.Parse_error

Using Language [English]

It then asks what language I want to install with as if there are no problems but I never attempt to go further. I would have posted this in the Oversight section of the forum but seeing as I experience parse errors with the other mods from time to time, I thought here would be okay. In fact, I even tried leaving Oversight to after another mod and tried putting on gMinion but that threw up a long list of errors halfway through install.

I have enough disk space to make a backup after each mod has been successfully installed but I am only halfway through the list of intended mods. I ran a search in the forum for any errors with Oversight but couldn't find anything related.

First of all, does anybody know of the above error with Oversight? Second, how bad is a parse error when it comes to installing a mod? If the log files list everything as successful (despite me not trusting it and trying again) then how critical is an error such as that? Should I carry on regardless, should I always try to reinstall and also, can it be fixed manually?

Regards.

Those parse errors are almost certainly caused by installing a mod that uses an older version of WeiDU after installing a mod that uses a newer version (Oversight and the Fixpack definitely uses newer versions than the three PPG mods). I'm pretty sure these errors are only cosmetic, but in any case you should be able to fix it by updating all the 'setup' weidu executables in your BGII folder (actually, I thought most mods used auto-update on the Windows side?).

Well I have seen messages that WeiDU has been updated. The G3 Fixpack is the first mod that I always install and yet I have seen mods that I install after it, update the WeiDU version. There are also some mods that automatically go from installing the files to the location of choice and executing the program. The Fixpack couldn't do that as it said it couldn't find the TP2 file. Once clicking on the Setup program in the BG2 folder though, it carries on.

I also get the occasional problem where I need to delete setup files for each mod, otherwise other mods that I try to install afterwards don't always succeed. I know when they haven't as despite creating a folder for the mod itself, no Setup program appears in the main BG2 folder.

Off the top of my head I think my version of WeiDU is now 196 but that doesn't stop the parse errors. No matter what mod I install before it and what mod I go to install after it, I still get the above parse error report that was caused by Oversight. I have even reverted back to a save prior to that mod, installed again, but chose not to install the Tougher Sendai component, just in case there was a problem with that.

gMinion throws up a whole list of parse errors and when I see the errors scrolling through as it attempts to install, I can see it complaining about the Fixpack, which was the first mod installed. That doesn't make sense as the other mods such as Banterpack and Flirtpack didn't have any complaints.

Is there any way around this? I'm reasonably happy to try installing all the mods again from clean (just not install the whole game again) and maybe in a different order (I've done it so many times now that I have become desensitized to installing them all ;) ). The problem is though that I am trying to install them in a specific order that was listed in my other thread about first-time installation.

I can leave out gMinion (I'm already leaving out eSeries due to the lag thing as my PC is already old and slow) but Oversight looks important and I still have Divine Remix and G3 Tweak Pack to go. I've thought about putting on Oversight after the Tweak Pack, to avoid the continual parse error but I was under the impression that the Tweak Pack should be the last mod you ever install?

An obvious question - but you do have ToB installed (and patched), right?

AFAIK, the Tweak pack doesn't need to be absolutely last, but we do recommend installing it fairly late, for Tutu anyway (after the one component of Oversight considered Tutu-compatible).

I ran into some similar, unresolved parsing errors with the Quest component of Ding0's Experience Fixer. Since I see you're installing the D0QuestPack, the logic is clearly evident: Sim's mods are causing the problem. :D;):D

If Oversight is installed with v197 (or v196), and then you (attempt to) install Quest Pack* with the bundled v192, (or similar) then the latter will quite simply have parsing problems. Of course, if Quest Pack's setup exe has in fact been properly auto-updated, then that is a different matter. One thing to try: compare all the setup files to a fresh copy of v197 and then manually replace any older copies with duplicates of the new one (who knows, maybe the auto-update has actually reverted some setup exes to an older version).

*: You are aware of the 'designated' bug in the current Quest Pack .tp2? If not, read this thread.

ToB is installed and patched. I bought BG2: The Collection, which has the patch on the disc. I only installed the ToB patch though as I read that the SoA patch wasn't necessary.

I didn't experience any parse errors during QuestPack's installation but I did install the Creature and Boss improvements component, which I assume the thread that Gorilym mentioned, has reference to. I didn't experience any bug myself and the log files seem without error.

I believe at one point I installed Oversight before the QuestPack. That was the first time I saw the parse error I mentioned. At the time I wasn't doing a mod-by-mod backup of key folders and files. I then started from scratch, believing that Oversight did something that QuestPack didn't like. However, it seems that any mod after Oversight throws up that complaint no matter what.

The whole mod installation process has been rather cumbersome (but as a modder for a few games myself in the past I can appreciate how difficult things can be). I had a GPF error once during installation of the Fixpack, had to reinstall all the mods again after finding out that the QuestPack needs installing after the FlirtPack and finally, did another full reinstall after seeing the first parse error. And I still haven't got into the game yet. ;)

With regards to comparing the setup programs to the WeiDU 197 core file (which I downloaded from the link given), where do I need to look to compare them and how do I perform a manual replacement to each mod? WeiDU 197's zip file has a lot of content and each mod has likewise.

Lastly, would it be of any help to enclose any log files from my own installation?

Parse errors are not necessarily game-stoppers. Most of them I see - and ignore - are the ones where the mod cannot find a block of code in a BCS that it thought would be there. In effect, the original BCS code stays put, and most likely some portion of the mod doesn't get installed. Still, it doesn't kill the game. Definitely does not kill the install process.

So your problems are obviously more serious.

First, post a list of all the mods you want to install, even if you haven't done it yet, that way we can see which mods might conflict. Don't worry about order, we'll tell you what should work.

Second, you absolutely must read some of the threads that explain how to maintain a clean install of BG, and how to keep multiple installs. Here's one thread [link] that has the relevant links. This info will save you so much time, it's not even funny.

When you're *really* ready for a challenge, you can make a batch file that will automate, as much as possible, your installation.

As for having mixed versions of weidu, that can be easily avoided by doing this BEFORE installing any mod:

- extract ALL your mods into your BG folder. Extract, do not install.

{For the English-challenged, this means make sure that the mod's TP2 file, Setup-whatever.exe file, and mod folder are in the BG folder}

- look for the Setup-whatever.exe with the oldest date. Double-click, as if you're going to install. Weidu will then go and update ALL Setup-whatever.exe files to the latest version of Weidu.

- If you are lucky, weidu will update those other files and then close the window it was running in. This is a good thing.

If you're not lucky, the mod will then prompt you to install itself. Just choose Quit or No or whatever. In either case, you can now go and install the mods in whatever order you want.

How do I add that extra fix for the Fixpack? I checked the link that you posted and I can see a comment about the QuestPack's Hell Trials component. I've noticed that it doesn't install properly and instead lists Warning messages. Therefore I currently choose not to install it.

When it comes to backing important files prior to mod installation, I was only saving the Override folder, BG2Main.exe, Chitin.key and Dialog.tlk. I have never bothered with the Data folder as the thread I saw at PPG never mentioned it. It is probably easier for me to delete any added files (easy to just click on the Modified tab in Explorer and see what is recent) as I am running out of disk space with all the mod-by-mod backups. So far, nothing newer than the year 2001 is in that folder.

Right, onto the intended list of mods that I am installing and which order I have planned:

1) G3 Fixpack (I currently don't install the beta fixes to ensure game stability)

2) PPG BanterPack

3) PPG NPC FlirtPack

4) PPG D0QuestPack

5) G3 Oversight

6) G3 gMinion

7) PPG NPC Tweak

8) G3 Divine Remix

9) G3 TweakPack

At the moment I am stuck around the positions 5 and 6 due to the parse errors, either after Oversight's install or if trying another mod first, during gMinion's install. I did try adding NPC Tweak after QuestPack instead, which went fine. I tried those other mods after and the same errors appeared (see above posts).

Somewhere in that list I am intending to add Moinesse's Avatars but I am not sure where. Without meaning any kind of disrespect to Moinesse, I don't know how essential the mod is to improve the look of the game or whether it makes things slightly different looking but not necessarily better.

I've thought about PnP Celestials but don't know if that is more for veteran BG players. Also, I have decided to leave out eSeries, even though it sounds great, because of the lag issue. My PC is ancient by today's standards and I experience a bug with the game where if I have Ambient sound on, I get very jerky combat. Nothing can fix that unless Ambience is off. I suppose I can add howling wind and chirping birds with my own voice if I miss it enough. ;)

Therefore, eSeries will have to stay off to keep gameplay speed up.

Just a quick update. I tried installing Divine Remix right after NPC Tweaks (but without installing Oversight) and that went fine. I then tried gMinion again (but had to remove all Divine's setup files for it to unpack properly) and it said it was updating WeiDU. However, I noticed that it was saying v191. Halfway through installing I get parse and syntax errors again.

Once again, parse and syntax errors are not always a problem - unless the mod won't install. Don't get too anal about them.

I'm sooo glad you said you have an "ancient" machine. Give us OS version, processor, amount of RAM, and total harddrive size. Don't worry, we won't laugh at you. (Although I will laugh if you think a P4 is ancient.)

Your doing backups after each mod install is your choice, but personally I'll say it's a waste of time and space.

Your install is impressive -- in the sense that it's the smallest and least complicated that I've seen in years. Bravo!

I suggest a rearrangement, based on personal experience, not on the mods themselves:

1) G3 Fixpack (I currently don't install the beta fixes to ensure game stability)

4) PPG D0QuestPack

2) PPG BanterPack

3) PPG NPC FlirtPack

7) PPG NPC Tweak

6) G3 gMinion

9) G3 TweakPack

8) G3 Divine Remix

5) G3 Oversight

I suggest you start from a clean BG install before doing the new list. If you followed the instructions in the links I posted about above, this should take you all of 3 minutes.

Don't worry about errors reported. Tell us if all the mods actually install. If so, then we'll work on the errors.

@ ronin:

Which do you think is better: should he *not* install the "Other Scripting Fixes" component of the fixpack, or install it and just live with a slightly mungled Hell Trials?

If he cant edit the 4 files, then I would say skip the Hell Trial component alltogether. I have not tested it with the errors and I dont know what will not work. I hope Sim will release a new version soon with all the fixes that people find included. I would definitely install the "Other Scripting Fixes" component of the fixpack.

The 4 files in question are located in the questpack folder in the main BG2 directory and in subdirectory helltest\data. Just open them with a text editor and find the blocks I posted in the link above and add the lines that need to be added and then save and install the hell trials component.

ronin

d6a_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR06",TRUE)
Global("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",1)
Global("OpenedDoor5","AR2904",0)
Global("OpenedDoor6","AR2904",0)
NumInPartyGT(1)
InPartyAllowDead(Player2)
InParty(Player2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("OpenedDoor6","AR2904",1)
	MoveViewPoint([502.1313],INSTANT)
	Wait(1)
	ReallyForceSpell(Player2,HELL_EXPLODE)
	Wait(1)
	MoveViewObject(Player1,INSTANT)
END

d6b_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR06",TRUE)
Global("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("OpenedDoor6","AR2904",1)
	Wait(1)
	ReallyForceSpell("hellvict",HELL_EXPLODE)
	Wait(1)
END

d4a_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR04",TRUE)
Global("OpenedDoor2","AR2904",1)
Global("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",0)
NumInPartyGT(1)
InPartyAllowDead(Player2)
InParty(Player2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",1)
	Wait(1)
	ReallyForceSpell(Player2,HELL_DAMAGE_HALF)
	Wait(1)
END

d4b_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR04",TRUE)
Global("OpenedDoor2","AR2904",1)
Global("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",1)
	Wait(1)
	ReallyForceSpell("hellvict",HELL_DAMAGE_HALF)
	Wait(1)
END

Or just open the 4 files and copy and past the entire contents of the above code into the files.

Cant get any easier than this, I did all the work for you.

I avoided installing the beta fixes in the Fixpack and the Questpack's Hell Trials fix seems messed up (it gives warning errors during install) so I chose to leave that one out as well. For my first play I didn't think it would matter too much as I have chosen a Paladin (Undead Hunter) to play. I've always liked Paladins and from experiences with other RPGs (such as Daggerfall) I know there can be some vicious undead foes to face (Liches spring to mind).

I managed to get the whole thing going but it wasn't easy. I had to change my order installation a bit. gMinion had to go because it really went overboard with the parse errors. I decided on the following:

1) Fixpack

2) Banterpack

3) Flirtpack

4) Questpack

5) NPC Tweaks

6) Divine Remix

7) Tweak Pack

8) Oversight

I did Oversight last as that way I didn't get one parse error. If I put it before any other mod, the following mod would wipe the WeiDU log of all mods installed. I didn't know if that was a good thing or not. Oversight doesn't seem to have anything that could get in the way of the Tweak Pack so I went ahead.

Questpack needs to go after the Flirtpack, otherwise there are problems with relationships in the Underdark. I'm not sure exactly what all that is about as I am still in the first dungeon area but I am guessing that relationships aren't on during the Underdark (from reading forum posts around the net, while I was gearing up to play the game, and waiting for the Fixpack) and the Flirtpack messes with that.

So now for my PC specs. I am sure you will laugh actually:

PII-400 MHz

Geforce 256 with v30.82 drivers.

Soundblaster Live (Original non-Value, non-5.1) with Liveware 1.0 drivers (to stop general sound stuttering/breaking up problems I had using the newer joint Live/Audigy ones).

384 MB RAM

12 GB Hard Disk (2 partitions)

Windows 98SE

I'm going to try newer Geforce drivers as I still get slightly jerky mouse movement in BG2 on certain occasions (such as viewing a character's personal records). It's not as bad since I disabled Ambient sounds though.

So now for my PC specs. I am sure you will laugh actually:
Ahahahahaha :D... *cough* er, wait, why am I laughing? I actually have a 386 with DOS and Win95 on it. Though I don't use it for playing games like BG, but it works great for even older ones like Ultima. ;)

Archived