BG1 vanilla, BG2, BGTutu, BGT

Downs Duck

I think the compatibility list for BGTutu has tremendous potential, and I enjoy it ferociously.

While I am following the thread for tutu compatible mods (found here: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...277&st=150), I would really want to see which mods are compatible for the other installations as well.

If someone were to post a thread for each of the installations (one for BG vanilla, one for BG2, one for BGT, etc.) I think it would be enjoyable to both newbies (especially newbies) and experts alike.

This thread could very well be the starting point, if someone were up to the task of managing one pinned post (say for instance for BG vanilla).

While the various threads on the different installations roamed the G3 forum, there would be a list (such as this for BGTutu: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122) pinned to the General Mod Discussion Forum.

To summarize: There would be a THREAD for discussing it, and a PINNED THREAD/NOTE managed by some poor bastard in the top of the GMD forum.

To start off with our poor manager for the would-be BG vanilla thread, one could check around for preferred order of install and paste it into the pinned top post. Others would then comment on "thats not the right order", or "thats perfect", and the manager would be wise to heed the advice given from this fine community.

What do you guys think?

Who has some spare time to kill?

I started doing that for vanilla BG1 before I realised it was a dead duck (er... sorry) - some of my results being in this post. Still, as I've already commented, I think it could be best addressed in a sort of evil master plan well-organised table that just has a tick in each column as to whether each mod is compatible, rather than having separate threads for each (an updater's nightmare :p).

But as for BG2 and BGT, they have way more mods than BG1 and Tutu. Several have tried to assemble such all-comprehensive lists for them. None have been heard from again. Ok, maybe I exaggerate but it'd be a huge constantly-changing task. But if you feel up to it, don't let me sway you from it. :p

It would at least be nice to start it.

The person responsible for the eventual complete tables (poor sucker of soda straws) would have a little easier task picking shit from 4 pinned threads than a horde of various threads.

EDIT: Profanity police were here.

Miloch, you keep talking about the lack of a table. I feel your pain, but you're missing something: you can have your table, it just needs to be a jpg and it needs to be hosted on your own server.

I regularly use jpg images of words on my webpages instead of text because I do not know which fonts the viewer will have installed on his/her computer, and I want the text to appear in a particular font. You could do the same thing on a large scale for a table. You might want to break it down into into smaller sub-tables to make it easier to fit on the screen.

I'll do an example and add it as an edit to this post.

I started doing that for vanilla BG1 before I realised it was a dead duck (er... sorry) - some of my results being in this post. Still, as I've already commented, I think it could be best addressed in a sort of evil master plan well-organised table that just has a tick in each column as to whether each mod is compatible, rather than having separate threads for each (an updater's nightmare ).

Doesn't the modlist have it all already?

Miloch, you keep talking about the lack of a table. I feel your pain, but you're missing something: you can have your table, it just needs to be a jpg and it needs to be hosted on your own server.
A JPEG? Are you mad? Even if I *did* do it as an image, I'd use GIF, since it's (relatively) lossless and doesn't need to be more than 256 colours. But the whole point is to be able to edit it easily. Now I could do an HTML table (probably converted from an OpenOffice.org spreadsheet... Excel sux for HTML conversion) quite easily, and it'd be font/platform/browser neutral. But the point is I want other folks here to be able to edit and access it.

There is table code for Invision, it just needs to be installed. Otherwise we're reduced to ASCII:

.......................BG1...EasyTutu...Mac...BGT

BG1 NPC Project................X.........X.....X

Sirine's Call..................X.........X.....X

Herbalism Add-In........X......X.........?.....?

Slime Quest.............X......X.........?.....?

And so on... but a royal pain in the arse to create and maintain (I had to do it for the BGT/Tutu area list... that was bad enough, being as how I don't actually have to maintain it). If it looks easy, reply and look at the code. Unfortunately the board has an evil tendency to ignore spaces, so I have to fill them with dots then blank them out. :p

A JPEG? Are you mad? Even if I *did* do it as an image, I'd use GIF, since it's (relatively) lossless and doesn't need to be more than 256 colours. But the whole point is to be able to edit it easily.
Couldn't you just (in the meantime, anyway) take a snapshot of the HTML table(s) and then export as gif? Sure, editing wouldn't be super-practical, but the extant compatibility list is only being updated a few times a month as it is (my impression, anyway).

I did it as a jpg because it was convenient. You could do it as a gif if you prefered.

The table was picked at random. It was nothing more than a cropped screenshot. I'm not worried about losing too much resolution: how much resolution does it need?

GavinNPCReactions.jpg

Couldn't you just (in the meantime, anyway) take a snapshot of the HTML table(s) and then export as gif?
Yeah, that'd be pretty easy to do. If I had such a table. And if I did, I wouldn't bother exporting it as a GIF, I'd just publish it as HTML. But first I'd have to create it, then get someone to fill in the MacTutu column a little more completely, among other things *squints at Gorilym*.

Hey wait a second... I never volunteered for this job anyway... where's Captain Morgan? :p

EDIT: Oh and a graphic precludes the possibility of having hyperlinks in it... one of the main benefits (IMO anyway) to the current list. :p

Uh huh. Well that was already on my to-do list anyway (roughly 4th or 5th place, last I checked, which is pretty high ranking...).

Speaking of to-do lists, where's that TotSC vs. vanilla BG1 resource list you promised like last month? :p

Same place it was last month: near the bottom of the list. I've got the ToSC install resource list in a completely unsorted state. I'm not really a computer person, in case you can't tell, and while I know there is a way to sort it by extension, I don't know how to do it. There is absolutely no way I am every going to have enough free time to go through the list and sort them manually.

Knowing the enormity of the undertaking, I never bothered with the ToSC-less installation.

Archived