ANIMATE.IDS

Miloch

Where do I find the actual animations for the entries listed in ANIMATE.IDS? Like for example 0x8100 Hobgoblin looks like it might be either the MHOBG1 or MHOBG2 BAM. Is there another table that cross-references these or something? I don't know why they didn't just include the info in this table.

There is no ANIMSND.IDS in Tutu. There's an ANISND but that appears to be something else entirely. And the ANIMSND in BG2 appears to be incomplete, as Avenger says, and perhaps even erroneous.

@Avenger - are you saying I can't, say, mod MHOBG1.BAM so that the hobgoblin's skin shade is slightly different? Anyway, I'm not looking to change them right now, I just want to see what they are.

ANISND.IDS, look at second column.

Did I say aniMsnd ? Nope... :)

There's an ANISND but that appears to be something else entirely

ANIMATE.IDS and ANISND.IDS have identical first columns (animation slot offsets)

0x8100 HOBGOBLIN

corresponds

0x8100 MHOB CGAMEANIMATIONTYPE_HOBGOBLIN

Like I said, the value in second column is what you're asking for (namespace for actual animation BAMs)

Note that the hobgoblin is palettable -- you can change its skin color by changing the CREs palettes.

For other types of animations, use the tints like Avenger suggests -- note that in most cases, the lighter the RGB value, the better the result.

AniSnd.IDS can be used as a reference to lookup the animation keys. It's not complete and isn't really used for anything, but the entries that are there should be accurate. Otherwise, just use common sense (if you're looking for the tasloi animation, try MTAS; for the bear, try MBER, etc.). Note that true animals use an "A" prefix and special NPC animations use "N" and Drizzt, Volo, Sarevok, and Elminster use "U."

Character animations are comprised of multiple BAM files -- the hobgoblin uses both G1 and G2 (and any other MHOB* BAMs that are there).

@pro5 - I dunno what was going on but I wasn't seeing the right data in ANISND originally. And DLTCEP is giving me "Identifiers loaded with some errors" though I don't know what that means precisely, as far as what the errors are. I can see it now after a reload.

So if ANIMATE.IDS doesn't really serve a purpose, what is the point of some mods (like BG1UB) that append missing entries to it?

Actually, there are two reasons why I might want this information. One is to mod the ogre mage animation to remove the scabbard, based on the idea in canon materials that they might be carrying non-sheathable weapons like naginata (polearms). Though that might involve more work than it's worth, what with all the different frames and everything. So I might just end up giving them scimitars or katana.

Also I'm looking into a BG1 bug for the fixpack where the greater wyvern animation seems to cause crashes. I don't know if this one is even fixable though, or what specifically might be causing it.

Animate is used by the compiler and from dialogues. Polymorph(I:Animation*ANIMATE) and stuff (so the game knows the value for the various animations).

The values themselves are hard-coded (you can't make new animation slots), so it doesn't serve any other purpose. AniSnd doesn't seem to have any purpose beyond reference.

You'd have to edit all the frames in all the ogre mage BAMs; I don't think it's worth it, but kick ass if you do it anyway.

iirc, dying wyverns caused crash in iwd too, but they were fixed in how. Or a how patch. Something like that.
Do you (or does anyone) know how Heart of Winter (or its patch) fixed this? Did it bring over a new BAM or patch the .exe or something else? I don't have IWD (let alone its expansions) so I can't really check.
iirc, dying wyverns caused crash in iwd too, but they were fixed in how. Or a how patch. Something like that.
Do you (or does anyone) know how Heart of Winter (or its patch) fixed this? Did it bring over a new BAM or patch the .exe or something else? I don't have IWD (let alone its expansions) so I can't really check.

It was fixed by the Trials of the Luremaster add-on, which includes patch 1.42 for Heart of Winter (the stand-alone patch for HoW only goes to 1.41). Here's the pertinent portion of the patch documentation:

VERSION 1.42 - HEART OF WINTER Patch / TRIALS OF THE LUREMASTER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL

- Fixed a crash problem with some wyvern's death animations when played on a Matrox G400.

Because the crash was connected to a specific video card or chipset, and there are no updates to any of the wyvern BAMs in the override folder, I'm reasonably certain that the engine (EXE) was patched to solve this problem. (I never had crash issues with wyverns or anything else; was using a 3DFX board at the time.)

IWD uses all of BG1's wyvern animations, and a recolored version of the greater wyvern.

Thanks for the info. I guess we'll worry about that one if and when someone can reproduce it with a patched/unmodded BG. Though if it's an engine problem unrelated to the BAM, there's probably not much we can do about that for the fixpack.

Archived