To Battle!

EiriktheScald

Which of these war-cries are best suited for Eirik?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I could only pick one, but my choices were 3, 4, 5, 7.

Sorry, Eirik, but I'm really not into parenthetical warcries, unless you're using that as a placeholder for said animal noise and you plan to have someone voice it, in which case that will make the pick - provided that you take the words between the ** out.

Assuming this is for your Skald, npc, then I'd have to go with 7 as it sounds suitably melodramatic, for a bard. If done well, then the animal cry would also be a good choice, however, any example I can think of, of a war-*cry* (eg those on the standard voice selection) are pretty shoddy...

@berelinde: It was late, and I wasn't thinking clearly.

@Kulyok: A skald should inspire others to battle -- at least that was the thought. In retrospect, yeah, the first one doesn't come off as well.

@Daeva: I couldn't very well say 'Valhalla' -- the name for it in the FR setting is 'Warriors Rest," I believe. That doesn't sound as melodramatic. Then I remembered beowulf used the term 'Shining Citadel.' ;)

Numbers two and three are cool, number five is interesting.

About #5: "Desperta ferro!", which translates from Catalan as "Awake, iron!". The Almogavars used to cry this shout the dawn before a battle, while they beat their swords on the nearby rocks to keep them clean from the rust. In the dim light many sparks were lighted, which scared the enemy watching them.

Oh. Wow. I guess my knowledge of battlecries is limited, except the eternal Russian "Mochi kozlov!" - "Kill these goats!" But that's, um, modern Russian.

Heh, I know only about something like "uraaa!" ;)

*ahem* I'm for option 2. "I smell a battle!" would suit to skald :D

My vote goes to "Awake, iron!" ... it's short, to the point, and you'll be hearing it a lot.

The shining citadel line is good as well, but demands more of your voice actor, and I feel it could be too long.

Archived