Baldur's Gate 2 Plot improvements

Do you think there is space for improvement in the BG2 plot?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In fact, I'd like to know when and how Bhaal learned of his impending death.  Since he has an adult dragon as a grandson, it must have been at least a couple of hundred years before BG2.

It is in the Prophecies of Alaundo, and I'm pretty sure he died over a thousand years before BGI. Bhaal's got plenty of time to plant seeds. :suspect:

I did not mind the Yoshimo saga except for one minor detail: I never killed Tamoko.

Have I missed something really important? I don't recall Tamoko and Yoshimo being connected... Is it from a mod?

In fact, I'd like to know when and how Bhaal learned of his impending death.  Since he has an adult dragon as a grandson, it must have been at least a couple of hundred years before BG2.

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/alaundo.htm

According to this Unofficial Lore, the monks of Candlekeep have been chanting, "The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage," ever since 82 DR.

Bhaal, with the moniker of Lord of Murder, could hardly fail to notice. And having nearly 1300 years of warning is plenty of advance notice, methinks.

There's also the fact that both of the Dragons you mention cast Haste and Time Stop, two spells that increase the caster's age, relative to everyone around them.

Just Plain Silly: The whole I need to rescue Immy but let me do months of silly quests. You make the 15,000-20,000 too quickly. If you rescue her as soon as possible then there is the immediacy of the Irenicus finale.  What is the player supposed to do? Take a couple months to finish the quests and get a stronghold and then I'll get Immy's soul back? The elven city needs me but...? I think that could be easily remedied by allowing you to wander around doing quests and asking questions that lead you to the thieves guild and/or Bohdi instead of being forced to the slum area.

The Unfinished Business mod is working on something that ties into part of this...

The Rhynn Lanthorn originally had to be reassembled before Elhan could use it to reveal Suldanesselar. Searching for the six lenses would take you through quite a chunk of SoA's sidequests. This was disabled, obviously, but the scripting and such were all left in place.

Instead you get messengers summoning you to Trademeet or Umar Hills, or Raelis asking you to find Haer'dalis, among other things. I suspect originally you wouldn't know about these areas, or at least have a reason to visit them, until Chapter 6 when Elhan would ask you to find the lenses and the lantern.

Anyway, this would help allay the problem of having to rush to meet Irenicus while still having all the sidequests available. This doesn't explain the length of time some of the strongholds require for final fulfillment of duties. I think it took me three or four game months, between Nalia's keep and Jaheira's romance, to finally get to the point where I had finished the quests and could go deal with Irenicus.

A small adjustment that I think might take some of the urgency away from finding Irenicus would be to modify the dialogs that state how Charname will waste away to death if he doesn't get his 'soul' (I prefer 'divine essence') back. Truth be told, you can take forever and suffer no ill effects, outside of your missing innates, which due to an oversight are not restored to you upon defeating Irenicus and getting your divine essence back.

I haven't given a whole lot of thought to the plot lately, and right now a headache prevents me from really thinking more about this. I voted that I think the plot overall is fine, but a few things could be improved on. I like some of the thoughts expressed in this thread.

Archived