Jade Empire (SE) - the best game BioWARE made to date

Domi

I really loved this game. I'm the kind of person who can read the same book ten times, so... um, I'm on my third play through.

I really loved the fighting style, though I definitely wouldn't call it Diablo style. It's definitely more like KoTOR, in that you have to actually press a button to hit a person, and you can choose what style you want to fight in, and you can change on the fly. I found the demon horse style to be the best; it basically decimated every opponet except for those stupid golem things.

I did want to make kissy face with Zu, tho. I kinda like playing the good character and romancing the evil but not really evil, just kind of a bad boy character. Sky was fun to romance though.

Zu isn't even evil, he is sooo redeemed by the way he joins the PC, it's not even funny :)

Anyways, we've never seen crashes, but the camera screwed up now and again.

A dialog.tlk would help me greatly.

Btw, is there a structure definition?

I noticed some .are files similar to the IE. I probably will make a tool similar to IElister (maybe more, if modding JE is interesting).

JE is built based on Aurora, so presumably the files will be similar to NWN1. Check out JE Bio's forums for PC edition, they have some tools out, all of the overriding dialogue.tlk.

I would not mod it though, tbh, because what I do want to do I think is pretty much impossible, because the English version is fully voice-acted. Not sure if the Hungarian one is, from what you are saying it just have a few lines?

Anyways, hope the tlk will help :)

Thanks, Domi - I'd bought this game but never installed it. Did so yesterday, and so far I really like it. The combat was really stressful until I got the hang of it, but it got kind of easier after a while. I'm not very far, but it looks like the NPCs this time'll make it worth playing through.

The VO is english, and the game isn't fully voice acted :)

You notice the gibberish when you rely solely on the spoken text, and can't read the captions.

An example: Is there any interesting people in town? Was translated:

Was there anyone interested about the town?

It is also full of typos, but that's the less problem.

Thankfully, the english .tlk works.

[edit]

And, from all of the Aurora based games, this one is the best. It seems the AE is better for action rpgs. I don't like them as much as real party based games, but well, this is the best Aurora can provide. Both NWN's were a disappointment for me.

The VO is english, and the game isn't fully voice acted

What the ...? That's such a rip off! The English version is fully voice acted, every damn line, even the random strings dialogues! Unfortunately it's over 1 gig of sound :)

It would be very expensive to hire voice actors, there are only 15M native hungarians, it is a wonder they tried to translate the text :)

This isn't the first hungarian translation though, Gothic III also came out with a crappy translation.

The main problem with the translations is that the translators don't see the dialog context. They usually translate sentences, or sometimes just word by word.

Btw, now i know why JE crashes to the desktop every 4 hours or so. I just played it till 4 AM, when it did. So i could go to sleep :)

Well, this was short.

Definitely a good game, somewhere along the qualities of Kotor. (I liked them too).

But, of course, nowhere near Baldur's Gate or PST :)

I thought the final encounter will be tougher (and it was), until i found the right fighting style. It took 10 seconds with the right style. :)

Wow, you are fast. :) Nah, much better than PS:T and BG imnsho.

Well, if you just watch it like a movie, i have to agree with you :)

The dialogues are good, the plot is very twisty, though I was surprised only once. I pretty much guessed the girls heritage, but didn't expect the betrayal, though there were hints.

My mouse sighs with relief, now, that i finished the game. I still prefer strategic team combat.

I think the NPC's astonishment over the water dragon corpse was a bit forced, i thought EVERYONE knew how water was brought to the empire. So, seeing a 20 years old dragon corpse didn't warrant those fainting talks.

A question, are all NPC slots fillable? I think i didn't fill 2 of them.

Yes, some NPCs are optional. Death Hand would have been one if you bind him to yourself, or bound Sky to his armour. I am not sure which one is your other 'missing' piece. Did you get the second demon in Wild Flower's subquests?

I think the NPC's astonishment over the water dragon corpse was a bit forced, i thought EVERYONE knew how water was brought to the empire. So, seeing a 20 years old dragon corpse didn't warrant those fainting talks.

Yeah, I wasn't happy about this scene either. They failed to create the atmosphere imo for it to look like a sancrosact.

Archived