NPC portrait mod?

Guest guest

My intention was to include a portrait for every single creature you talk to in BG2
Sounds like an ambitious and useful undertaking. If you download the BG2 spreadsheet from the Creature Lister in my sig (or use the code to generate it on your own install), you can filter out CREs that have no dialog (no sense in giving them portraits). Then you can sort the remainder by gender, race, class, etc. I think in one version even I output the values for hair, skin, major colours etc. So all that helps in portrait assignment... I've used the same technique for Tutu mods (BG1NPC unfortunately, only provides portraits for some, not all NPCs).

Many of the creatures for BG2 use random colors for hair and clothing, if that has any bearing on portrait selection. If you want to fix the color of hair and clothing to match the portrait, you can do that, too, by putting the code I'm supplying in the tp2. The number supplied after the hex offset is the decimal number referenced in the IESDP color chart.

COPY_EXISTING ~crecode.cre~ ~override~
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2c 67   //metal color	(shiny gold)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2d 46   //minor color	(light red)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2e 96   //major color	(chrome blue)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2f 12   //skin color	 (light carnation pink)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x30 85   //leather color  (21 caret gold)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x31 25   //armor color	(dark pure gold)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x32 10   //hair color	 (light gold)

I think Nightmare was going to include that as part of the Lands of Intrigue mod, but so far nothing has seen the light of day...

It's actually included in his third alpha, posted in the workroom. We should drop him a PM and see if we can release it for community development of the portraits stuff.

I've gathered some 300 portraits ready to assign to creatures.

After cutting down Miloch's BG2cre.xls list I still have just under 1800 creatures in BG2/ToB that have a valid dialogue file assigned but have no portrait.

So there is some way to go if everyone is to have a unique portrait.

That being said if anyone has assigned portraits in their mods to core BG2 non-joinable npc's I am asking if they would consider donating their portraits (and code if possible) to a BG2CPM (Character Portrait Mod).

I've started to assign the 300 portraits I have but I think it would be easier and better to combine work already done on this to cover the largest number of common nj-npc's quickly.

I've started to assign the 300 portraits I have but I think it would be easier and better to combine work already done on this to cover the largest number of common nj-npc's quickly.
I think I've only done one in BG2 (but plenty in Tutu):
COPY_EXISTING ~lissa.cre~ ~override~ //Lissa
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2c 30 //Metal color (light iron gray)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2d 51 //Minor color (dark olive green)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2e 47 //Major color (pure dark red)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2f 12 //Skin color (light carnation pink)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x30 21 //Leather color (dark iron gray)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x31 30 //Armor color (light iron gray)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x32 0 //Hair color (red tinted black)
 WRITE_ASCII 0x34 ~LISSAS~ #8 //Small portrait

lissas.gif

Oh, I forgot good old Neb the ambiguous gnome/dwarf appears in both BG1 and BG2.

COPY_EXISTING ~neb.cre~ ~override~ //Neb
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2c 27 //Metal color (gray)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2d 49 //Minor color (dark bronze)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2e 51 //Major color (dark olive green)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2f 12 //Skin color (light carnation pink)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x30 22 //Leather color (dark brown)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x31 21 //Armor color (dark iron gray)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x32 2 //Hair color (dark gold)
 WRITE_ASCII 0x34 ~NEBS~ #8 //Small portrait

nebs.gif

(I remastered his "portrait" from the BAM of his severed head, heheh.)

While we're on the subject of the IESDP color chart, rumor has it that some of the colors will crash the game. Do we know whether that's a myth? And if it isn't, do we know which they are?

Definitely not a myth. It seems that any color with a hex value above a certain limit crashes the game on loading. I may be wrong, but that was the impression I got from playing around my character's colors in shadowkeeper. It seemed like all the colors towards the bottom of the list would crash the game. I didn't try all of them so I could be wrong. But it's not a myth.

There's a tutorial out there somewhere (sorry, I don't have the reference) that advises against using color values above 68, for that very reason. I think this might be found in the tutorial about creating NPCs if you're a n00b (like me) :p That reminds me: I found a problem with the instructions in that .pdf, where it says to enter a piece of information using NI, but when I went to do it, the field wasn't editable. I'll have to go back, collect the information, and report it where appropriate.

Thanks so much!

- E

This is what I'm doing for V1:

1900 (approx) creatures to receive portraits.

Portraits are assigned male/female in the following categories:

Human

Elf

Dwarf/Gnome/Halfling

Drow

Children

Commoners

Creatures (skeletons, zombies, wolves, werewolves, vampires, ogres etc).

I am trying to be appropriate where possible, i.e. fatman, fatwoman, harlot, pirate etc but with the volume of portraits it's going to be a bit hit and miss at first.

What I was hoping is that the community would help with a list of the most common interjection targets in mods and these would get more attention...the rest would be randomised pending future versions/analysis.

Archived