Khalid/Montaron characterization

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hello,

I have a little question, mainly directed at cmorgan; you recently posted the following at the tweak pack forums, and below was my reply:

erm... non-technical answer... Domi liked the characterization of Khalid as a F/M, and Andyr liked Montaron characterized as an assasin, and since I love their work in BG1NPC, it seems natural to chose the RP class the writers thought matched their writing and keep the characters consistent. Both of these are really tweaks for Tutu (and now BGT as well), since neither are joinables in BG2.

So...um, should i make these characters into the above if using bg1npc? I mean, does the mod reference khalid being a mage of sorts in dialogues and stuff...cause that would be weird if i don't have him as one...I don't have a problem with it either way really, although then why wouldn't imoen ask khalid for some help in regards to spells, and not just dynaheir for eg...just would like to know what fits in a roleplay sense...

Thanks

I'm still really interested in an answer to this, since i'm trying to start a game very soon (hours, hopefully! :p), and while i don't mean to pester you or create virtually duplicate posts, i just thought this would be a better place to get a response, since it is do with bg1npc, and also to get your attention a little easier!

So, the question is basically the same as what i've quoted; equally, over here, domi or andyr can also answer, or anyone else who knows what works/seems right to have in the game. I think i'll go ahead with both, but like i say, does bg1npc treat either as the original bg1 class, or the above alterations...my main issue is with khalid, as with the example noted above.

Many thanks for any help!

The characterization of Motaron as an assisin is very strong, but I think Domi managed to keep the magical references out of Khalid -

I have used L1NPCs and turned Khalid into a Painbearer of Imater/Ranger, and all sorts of other things, and in almost all cases the materials are set up without calls to check what class the NPC has been turned into. The checks are usually deendent on "PC" class, so that running with the PC as a Bard gives you a whole set of new responses, as opposed to running as a fighter; sometimes either gender, chpter, or alignment makes a difference with the responses, too. Montaron makes some great banters about killing things, regardless of class, and Khalid pretty much stays close to Jaheira and doesn't talk much about work or have class-based responses.

I have not experienced any disconnects from a roleplaying perspective, unless I have majorly changed a chartacter (like making Jaheira a F/M or something that has absolutely no reference to druids).

Domi or Andyr would be the folks to speak as to the "why", though :p

Both characters were mostly written by Hendryk, and prior to Andyr and me doing the tweaks.

There is one dialogue with PC that comes with installing Khalid as a Fighter-Mage that is basically 'why I decided to be a fighter-mage' dialogue. (Unless it was kicked out of the later versions, I have no idea :p )

And, yes, the absence of an RP content connected to the conversion is why Khalid is a component of Tweaks, not BG1NPC.

As for Montaron, he comes accross as an assassin in Hendryk's writing because that's what he really is, being a Zent, and kit is a secondary thing, the way I see it.

Anyways, my two cents.

...kit is a secondary thing, the way I see it.

I agree. I've always seen Minsc as a berserker ranger, and feel that both the berserker and ranger kits are suitable choices for him, since it's his in-game actions that dictate what kind of character he is, not the name of his class/kit.

Similarly, I don't see why someone has to have the assassin kit to be assassin-like in nature. I sometimes think that people look upon kits as a sort of caste system. I agree that certain kit choices for certain NPCs don't make any sense, but I like to think there's some room for maneuver with the majority of NPCs.

There is one dialogue with PC that comes with installing Khalid as a Fighter-Mage that is basically 'why I decided to be a fighter-mage' dialogue. (Unless it was kicked out of the later versions, I have no idea :) )
I think it's in Tweaks along with the option to make Khalid a fighter/mage. I remember Cam mentioning it recently at any rate.
As for Montaron, he comes accross as an assassin in Hendryk's writing because that's what he really is, being a Zent, and kit is a secondary thing, the way I see it.
He comes across this way even in the unmodded game, more so than as a petty pocketpincher or lockpicker anyway.

Archived