Welcome to the Delainy workshop

Grim Squeaker

Just stumbled over this mod from CamDawgs sig, and I must say it shows great potential.

A couple of questions has come to mind when exploring the page and forum

Will Delainy always be in werewolf-shape? Or will she be able to shapeshift?

And will she be able to cast spells when in werewolf-shape? (assuming she'll be able to shapeshift)

And will she be able to use armor?

Again, I must say, this looks absolutely wonderful...

/Henrik

Delainy will be able to shapeshift between three different forms.  A regular wolf form (admittedly, this probably won't be used much, but hey, I like it), a hybrid form (what people assume is the regular werewolf form, though her color might be different than the regular ones), and a human form.  However, she will not be limited by how many times a day she can shift.

In werewolf form, she won't be able to cast spells, but she will have some improved abilities scores, improved AC, and a few Howls exclusive to her (her first howl will be to summon wolves to fight by her side...a bit like the Summon Creature spell).

Only in human form will she be needed to cast spells...and I hope to give her a few spells unique to her...and items to make it worthwhile to use her in either human or werewolf form.  However, the romance will probably only proceed when she is in human form, but I haven't quite decided that.  (Hard to romance a werewolf if they just talk in growls).

Welcome Henrik!

As Bri mentioned, Del will be a true shapeshifter and able to change at will. If you want her to be able to cast spells while in werewolf form, the ease-of-use tweaks from Weimer include a component that makes werewolves even more powerful and includes this ability. I think it's unbalancing, but to each their own. :D

She will not be able to wear armor while shapeshifted. You won't have to remove it, it's bonuses/protections will just not apply while changed.

Thanks for the welcome!

I did try the improved shapeshifter for a while but found it, as you said, unbalancing. A real pity, since I really like werewolves and has been forced to choose between lousy WW's or cheesy WW's...

This sounds like a mod that will change that, though...

I must say I really like that fact that she'll be able to turn into a wolf too. Those small things that don't have much use except for roleplay purposes are something that I really appreciate.

/Henrik

Well, the thing is, her abilities (for example, her claws will increase in what type of 'weapon' they are) and howls will appear or improve as she gains in levels.

This does mean, though, that unless you sky-rocket ahead with XP boosts, then she shouldn't be too overpowered.

For example, when she hits level 35 or so (being a bard, and with ToB, she could go to level 40), her claws will strike as +5 weapons...but, by that time, a person would have several +4 and +5 weapons.

And it just makes sense not to have armor as a werewolf...I mean, in her hybrid form, it would take a +1 weapon or better to strike her anyways...

And her howls will also be limited in the amount of times they can be used...at most, 2-3 times a day (and some of the high level ones, just once a day).  I mentioned that she will have a howl similar to Howl of the Banshee elsewhere (9th level Wizard spell).  I don't anticipate her getting this howl before level 35 as a bard...and maybe higher...and even then, it will only be used maybe once a day.  A wizard or sorcerer with the spell will definitely have more magic at their command...and a greater variety.

And yes, I like the small touches as well... :D

Will Delainy always be in werewolf-shape? Or will she be able to shapeshift?

Since it's planned to be a romancable mod, there wouldn't be much fun if she was a werewolf all the time. :D

It's a pity you won't be able to join her in BG1 (talking about a BGT or BG1Tutu game). Haven't heard about any romancable mods for that part of the game. And this romancing possibility really adds some pleasant thrill to the game. :D

From what I can see by now, her stats are rather poor, but her innate abilities give her a huge boost. Better don't give her the werewolf regeneration ability cause it would make her far to powerful.

As for her howls. Maybe you could change the bard song, so that it acted as a wolf howling while Delainy is shapeshifted. And after coming back to human form it would change to a bard song again. It should be pretty easy to do it. Of course it couldn't have the power of a Banshee Wailing (I've prepared myself such a bard once, it was a real killer :ghostface: , but not much fun playing then). It could cause fear at lower levels and for example stun or unconsciousness later on. A little bit like Jester's song effects. I think it would make sense. What do you think about it?

It's a pity you won't be able to join her in BG1 (talking about a BGT or BG1Tutu game). Haven't heard about any romancable mods for that part of the game. And this romancing possibility really adds some pleasant thrill to the game.  

True, it is going to be hard enough as is, though with the BG II stuff...fortunately several people have offered to help me when I run into stumbling blocks.

Since it's planned to be a romancable mod, there wouldn't be much fun if she was a werewolf all the time.

As it is, there are going to be enough "sleeping with the dogs" cracks...

As for her howls. Maybe you could change the bard song, so that it acted as a wolf howling while Delainy is shapeshifted. And after coming back to human form it would change to a bard song again. It should be pretty easy to do it. Of course it couldn't have the power of a Banshee Wailing I've prepared myself such a bard once, it was a real killer  , but not much fun playing then). It could cause fear at lower levels and for example stun or unconsciousness later on. A little bit like Jester's song effects. I think it would make sense. What do you think about it?

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but in her werewolf form, she won't be able to use Bardsong either...as it would rely on the human voice.   And yep, you guessed some of her howls that would stun someone (I got about 10 of them I will work on, and will probably cut a few).

The Wail of the Banshee will stay, (and I have something appropriate for that)...but it will only be used once a day in the game.

From what I can see by now, her stats are rather poor, but her innate abilities give her a huge boost. Better don't give her the werewolf regeneration ability cause it would make her far to powerful.

I may raise a few points of hers, but it won't be that much higher...I am going to try and keep play balance...after all, it is too easy to make an NPC and beef her up...and leave the main character looking like a shlep...

However, she will not be limited by how many times a day she can shift.

So her shapeshifting abilities will be infinite use? There may be a problem with this, actually more like a bug. Now, I'll start out by stating that long ago I created a dragon kit. This kit allowed the player to shapechange into a red dragon an infinite amount of times a day (talk about overpowered, heh). In combat, if this ability was interrupted, the player would permanently lose it. Now, the only other infinite use ability that I know of is pocket plane, and you can't use this in combat, probably because of the reason given above.

In short, my concern here is that if Del's shapechange ability was interrupted, she'd never get it back.

I've some experience with IEEP, if you want be to go more in depth, I believe I can.

Uriel

Well Uriel, if that is the case, then I will just make it a large amount of times it could be used in one day...

But that is still a ways off...I really haven't gotten around to even getting all the dialogues done yet :D

Thanks for the warning, though...

One other concern I thought I'd mention is an exploit that may be opened through shapeshifting abuse, if Del gets a constitution boost. This is on Kevin Dorner's list of planned fixes for the next Baldurdash, but since no one has heard from him in a while, we may have to address it ourselves.

Currently, items that grant constitution bonuses can be abused for infinite healing by equipping and unequipping them repeatedly. If we grant Del a CON bonus while in werewolf form, and let her shapeshift essentially at will, we would open the same loophole.

One other concern I thought I'd mention is an exploit that may be opened through shapeshifting abuse, if Del gets a constitution boost. This is on Kevin Dorner's list of planned fixes for the next Baldurdash, but since no one has heard from him in a while, we may have to address it ourselves.

Currently, items that grant constitution bonuses can be abused for infinite healing by equipping and unequipping them repeatedly. If we grant Del a CON bonus while in werewolf form, and let her shapeshift essentially at will, we would open the same loophole.

Yeah but you are a cock if you do that. Taking advantage of loopholes like that is really beardy...

Edit: We could have a script run so that if you change into a wolf, turn back and then into a wolf again within a certain amount of time then you get fatigued. I imagine it would take a lot of concentration etc to change forms. Just a suggestion...

Actually, I have already decided this (though my mind could be changed).

In her hybrid form she will have the werewolf's normal resistance to normal weapons, but she won't regenerate.  (I think I got genres confused between AD&D and Werewolf).  Also, she will get a bonus to Con for the Hybrid form, but it won't be enough to put her over the edge to self-regeneration.

I've a question: Is Delainy going to be abducted by Bodhi and vamp'ed? I'd hate to fight a vampiric werewolf. Or could she be vamp'ed at all, what with her lycanthropy and all?

I wonder what a werevampire would look like..... hmmm.

Uriel

Archived