Suggestions thread

erik

Guest Rhodan
Great work!!

My suggestions/comments:

1) If possible make it so that the movement speed penalty is able to be chosen or not (or remove it altogether). I can't stand having my party members move at the speed of snails with bg2 movespeeds in Tutu already but when you play with this mod...a "crawl" seems like its overly sugarcoating the scenario. I used SK to improve my characters speeds to offset this but...just opening up SK kills some of the fun right there...in addition to the other problems (takes a while to figure out exactly what speed they should be at some move too fast, etc).

2) I think some form of Damage Threshold needs to implemented (if possible) - honestly I think Fallout/Fallout 2 had the perfect armor system, armor increased Damage Resistance/Damage Threshold/Armor Class. I'd like to see more AC as well.

Eric, I agree with Oli.

I like the mod the way it handles armor makes more sense as far as decreasing damage taken withing the framework you are operating I'll take it gladly.

However I would like to point out that I think increasing the minimum STR is the way to go for one reason, the armor doesn't get heavier if you get stronger. A Half Orc character that starts with 19 STR reads a book gets 20, finds a belt goes to STR 22 he is still slowed the same as when he started for a more dramatic example Viconia isn't strong enough to wear plate when you find her, but give her an item that increases her STR and now she can wear plate, give her the Hammer for STR 25 she is slowed the same as if she had the minimum.

The second thing I understand why you reduced movement but again I think it is a broken implementation; put your boots of speed on after the armor and you can walk faster than if you have them on then equip the armor. I would say take a look at modifying encumberance while it may be possible to carry 10 sets of full plate in your back pack it is un-realistic to think you could unless you had a bag of holding. I think the reductions you have put on the AC are a good balance it worked that way in Fallout you were more likely to get hit but would take less damage if so over wearing less armor same as mentioned above I don't really mind the goblins hitting me since you should be able to toast some goblins easy enough.

Thanks for reading good mod it certainly has made me consider if I should wear leather so I can get my DEX bonus (my archers do) or no real choice for front line guys they always have to go heavy.

Guest Guest_Ellderon_*

A very nice mod, I must say. Altough IMHO it could be better. You tried to make it more "real", but it's really falling short.

Why? I know a great deal of armor and weaponry from the medieval ages, so having a plate mail reducing dexterity by -3 (-4) is WAY too much. Good plate mail never restricted movement.

A chainmail probably feels more restrictive than a plate mail (since all the weight is on the shoulders, so it puts more pressure on the spine)

Frankly, what I would do is:

- remove any AC bonuses of any kind from medium-heavy armors (unless they are magical)

- reduce DEX penalty for heavy armors (-1 for chain and plate...MAYBE -2 for plate)

To compensate for removed AC bonuses (meaning players will get his far more often) increase protection. A plate mail would roughly have 70% resistance to slashing, 50% to crushing, 60& to piercing and 70% to missile

I did a rebalance like this myself once, and it worked perfecly. F'course, I did it by manually changing every armor in-game which was painstaikingly slow...

anyway, nice mod, hope it gets even better :)

(edit)Oh, and thanks for the feedback!

Why? I know a great deal of armor and weaponry from the medieval ages, so having a plate mail reducing dexterity by -3 (-4) is WAY too much. Good plate mail never restricted movement.

Usual movement, sure, no. Desperate dodges, longbow use, etc? I bet you it did. Not restricted from the movement as such, in all cases, but adding tons of metal to your body slows it down.

Frankly, what I would do is:

- remove any AC bonuses of any kind from medium-heavy armors (unless they are magical)

- reduce DEX penalty for heavy armors (-1 for chain and plate...MAYBE -2 for plate)

To compensate for removed AC bonuses (meaning players will get his far more often) increase protection. A plate mail would roughly have 70% resistance to slashing, 50% to crushing, 60& to piercing and 70% to missile

Remove AC bonuses and reduce dex penalty would roughly cancel each other out. Agreed, a thing to consider. Though heavy metal wearers already get hit often.

Improving resistance only works to a point, I feel. It removes the lucky hits and well-aimed blows. Though if I removed the critical hit protection of helmets, perhaps...

Besides, improving resistance would tilt the balance towards heavy armour again. There is an aspect to this where I try to make light armour attractive as well, you know, not realism-at-all-costs.

I did a rebalance like this myself once, and it worked perfecly. F'course, I did it by manually changing every armor in-game which was painstaikingly slow...

anyway, nice mod, hope it gets even better :p

Have fun changing thebiglist.txt to your liking, if you want. That's not hard. :)

Have fun changing thebiglist.txt to your liking, if you want. That's not hard.

Do you mean thebiglist.txt works like a library which defines the values set? If so, what a wonderful feature!

BTW, the fatigue effects are not described in the readme, and i think it would be very interesting for the player to know that info.

Have a good weekend. :)

Have fun changing thebiglist.txt to your liking, if you want. That's not hard.

Do you mean thebiglist.txt works like a library which defines the values set? If so, what a wonderful feature!

Basically everything is taken from thebiglist.txt, yes. Change those files and reinstall, and in-game stats and descriptions will follow. Do so as much and often as you like between games - in a game in progress it is troublesome. And as always - at your own risk, etc. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces. :)

BTW, the fatigue effects are not described in the readme, and i think it would be very interesting for the player to know that info.

in exchange for slowing you down and fatiguing you

They are. Just not very explicitly. Any suggested alternative wording?

They are. Just not very explicitly. Any suggested alternative wording?

I would like to see an expanded description of what effects the fatigue causes depending on its severity and how the party NPCs accumulate it. An info table would came in handy, i guess.

BTW, do the characters controlled by the CPU suffer from fatigue consequences too?

Cheers

Perhaps the suggestion thread itself is already good enough for suggesting a bug report thread?

But aye.. Since my character is evil, I can surely try on the Human Flesh (Or actually let Viconia wear it), but found out it being overpowered by giving -12 to AC before being remade with Silver Dragon's Blood

Is it a known problem or actually the initial setting? Please fix it! My evilness can't keep myself from exploiting the usage of such awesome flesh!!

Well, best of luck with everything else~

Perhaps the suggestion thread itself is already good enough for suggesting a bug report thread?

Heh. Perhaps.

But aye.. Since my character is evil, I can surely try on the Human Flesh (Or actually let Viconia wear it), but found out it being overpowered by giving -12 to AC before being remade with Silver Dragon's Blood

Is it a known problem or actually the initial setting? Please fix it! My evilness can't keep myself from exploiting the usage of such awesome flesh!!

*cough* That's a bug, thanks! Quicker, easier, more seductive, the dark side is...

The untreated Human Flesh should have AC 6, not -2. Whoops! Will fix, next update! :thumbsup:

I would like to see an expanded description of what effects the fatigue causes depending on its severity and how the party NPCs accumulate it.

Added for v3.

BTW, do the characters controlled by the CPU suffer from fatigue consequences too?

I would guess not, but you usually don't stay around long enough in an area to tell... You'd have to wait around in the same area for, say, two days without rest, then save and check the save game. If the saved local guards have fatigue > 7 in the save, they are affected.

Archived