Charm opcode & Hostile/Break Invisibility Flag

Demivrgvs

Testing V3's Nature's Beauty I discovered an hardcoded issue which makes me mad.

Charm spells doesn't work if flagged as hostile spells. The target may become charmed (green circle under the feet) but in a matter of an instant becomes hostile again (red circle under the feet).

This means that to make them work charm/domination spells can't be flagged to break invisibility. :D

I can probably fix this by adding an effect which removes the invisibilty "manually" but it would create another issue: it would probably dispel even an Improved Invisibility spell.

Do you prefer to keep these spells as per vanilla, allowing an Invisible character to charm while remaining invisible?

Because of the nature :D of the spell Nature's Beauty will surely dispel Improved Invisibility in SR, because enemies have to see the caster to be affected!

Ah leave them as per vanilla, if somebody wants to abuse of the engine and walk around invisible charming things he's just ruining his own game :D

About the no hostile flag, does it mean that you can charm commoners without them going hostile if they succeed the save or when the duration runs out? That's actually a good thing.

I can probably fix this by adding an effect which removes the invisibilty "manually" but it would create another issue: it would probably dispel even an Improved Invisibility spell.

I don't think the "break invisibility" opcode removes the improved-invisible effect, but I could be wrong.

I don't think the "break invisibility" opcode removes the improved-invisible effect, but I could be wrong.

There are three opcodes which could have worked, but only two seem partially work, and not without issues. :D

- Visible (47) : works as intended, but removes improved invisibility

- Detect Invisible (116) : works as intended, but removes improved invisibility

- Force Visible (136) : it doesn't see to remove normal invisibility either which is strange because I thought this opcode worked, I'll do more tests...theoretically this should be the best one among the three, as it shouldn't remove improved invisibility if IESDP is right.

Furthermore the "fix" would still be sub-optimal because the "remove invisibility" effect would take place only at the completition of the spell, allowing to remain invisible during the casting time.

- Force Visible (136) : it doesn't see to remove normal invisibility either which is strange because I thought this opcode worked, I'll do more tests...theoretically this should be the best one among the three, as it shouldn't remove improved invisibility if IESDP is right.

The IESDP description is accurate. Opcode #136 won't remove Improved Invisibility, it will just get rid of normal invisibility i.e. just as if the spell was flagged as hostile. I've tested that thoroughly since I use it in RR for making the enemy mages turn visible when they fire their sequencers/triggers (RR#VSBL.SPL) and in the "Bard songs break invisibility" component of aTweaks.

Furthermore the "fix" would still be sub-optimal because the "remove invisibility" effect would take place only at the completition of the spell, allowing to remain invisible during the casting time.

Put it into the "casting features" header and it will apply as soon as the character starts casting the spell.

Because of the nature of the spell Nature's Beauty will surely dispel Improved Invisibility in SR, because enemies have to see the caster to be affected!
I would suggest using secondary spell. The NB itself would break invis and force the charm.spl onto the caster and their surroundings.
Charm spells doesn't work if flagged as hostile spells. The target may become charmed (green circle under the feet) but in a matter of an instant becomes hostile again (red circle under the feet).

Why not just have Spell 1 (Hostile spell, breaks Invisibility) simply force the target to Save or suffer the effects of Spell 2 (Charm effect, non-Hostile spell, no Save) after a 1-second delay?

[ADD] Or maybe I should learn to read the full thread before posting. :D [/ADD]

The IESDP description is accurate. Opcode #136 won't remove Improved Invisibility, it will just get rid of normal invisibility i.e. just as if the spell was flagged as hostile. I've tested that thoroughly since I use it in RR for making the enemy mages turn visible when they fire their sequencers/triggers (RR#VSBL.SPL) and in the "Bard songs break invisibility" component of aTweaks.

Put it into the "casting features" header and it will apply as soon as the character starts casting the spell.

Wow, you're my personal hero! :D I didn't knew the trick to put effects outside the spell headers! It works, and fortunately you're right about Force Visible too. It is still allowed to remain invisible under a Sanctuary spell as Force Visible doesn't break it, but it's rather acceptable imo.

Archived