Magic resistance in spells' description

Ardanis

Just right now I've run into an angry bunch of drows, waiting idly for something at the center of the Underdark. Having no much desire to fight them in close quarters I went with a trick - memorised three Sunfires and put them into Spell Trigger scroll. Sadly, it barely scratched them so I've reloaded and began thinking what to do. Wanted to use Chain Lightning instead but recalled it didn't bypass MR.

And that's where this thread's idea was given a birth - perhaps it would be good to mention in description whether MR affects a spell or not. What do you think?

I was doing it for V2, than I discarded the idea, though I don't remember exactly why. Anyway, as of now spells don't bypass magic resistance unless it is specifically mentioned otherwise in the descriptions. A few spells don't mention it because it was more of an engine issue/bug than intended behaviour (e.g. Sunfire shouldn't bypass magic resistance, but it can't be avoided).

Thanks for adding some more work to do! :D

Guest Guest_scorpio_*

I think it would be fine to mention for spells that DO pass MR that they in fact do so, rather than going through each spell and saying a 'yes/no' thing, since most spells are affected by MR; that is the whole point of MR. This would save time and makes sense if you ask me.

I think it would be fine to mention for spells that DO pass MR that they in fact do so, rather than going through each spell and saying a 'yes/no' thing, since most spells are affected by MR; that is the whole point of MR. This would save time and makes sense if you ask me.
That is exactly why I previously discarded the idea...because in AD&D very few spells bypassed magic resistance and thus the information 'bypass magic resistance' is extremely rare in BG's spells unless we count in harmless spells.

Anyway, it seems players who posted would welcome the change and no one is against it, am I wrong?

I've already finished editing the arcane.tra file with the following templates. Divine spells will take even less time.

Grease

Level: 1

School: Conjuration

Range: Medium

Duration: 1 turn

Casting Time: 1

Area of Effect: 10' radius

Saving Throw: Breath negates

Magic Resistance: Yes

Armor

Level: 1

School: Conjuration

Range: Personal

Duration: 1 hour/level

Casting Time: 1 round

Area of Effect: Caster

Saving Throw: None

Magic Resistance: No

I am for changing the description including information about magic resistance but it would be as good just to mention in the spell description if a specific spell does ignore magic resistance (since I believe most of them do not).

Thanks! :D

Grease

Ahh, what? Does the magic resistance effect it or not... :D

That looks stupid and is far less informative than, making them all have "Bypasses Magic Resistance" - label is far better option, at least for the attack&neutral spells(True Sight etc.).

Edit: I ment to say something like this...

Grease

That looks stupid and far less informative than, making them all have "By passes Magic Resistance" - label, at least for the attack&neutral spells(True Sight etc.).

I agree, that's not so good. Better wording would be something like:

Bypasses Magic resistance: No

or

Blocked by MR: Yes

And yes, bypass is one word; do not separate, hyphenate or anything else to it - it no longer makes sense if you do so.

And yes, bypass is one word; do not separate, hyphenate or anything else to it - it no longer makes sense if you do so.
Well, they are two words that make up the verb, they do make sense even if you separate them, but in this case you are of course right... Or else I haven't passed by the gas station. :D

Unlike the B-locked. :D

Grease

That looks stupid and far less informative than, making them all have "By passes Magic Resistance" - label, at least for the attack&neutral spells(True Sight etc.).

Perhaps it's just that I'm in a really bad mood because of serious issues in my real life but "you really need" to start being more polite towards me. You've started a few topics by sentencing that "I really need to" do this or that, and now instead of suggesting another wording like guest did you preferred to state that my suggested wording was 'stupid'. Is it so difficult to simply say you don't agree?! That being said, peace&love. :D

Anyway... I took the "idea" from 3rd edition manuals which use the following template:

Level: x

Components: ...

Casting Time: ...

Range: ...

Target or Area: ...

Duration: ...

Saving Throw: ...

Spell Resistance: Yes/No

...but if most of you agree it's not clear we'll opt for another solution, fine with me.

Which one would you prefer between the suggested ones? "Bypasses Magic Resistance: x" or "Blocked by MR: x"?

Archived