Entangle & Web Graphics

Guest Rychurd

Guest Rychurd

Hi,

I think the graphics for entangle in BG2 is a bit much. Those vines that are meant to entwine your legs obscure entire characters. The effect in IWD is much better.

I've been searching modding forum for instructions on how to change import the IWD graphics into BG2. But no luck. If you're looking for ideas for more versions then I'd request this. In the mean time is there any guide so I can do this myself?

Thanks

R

Edit: I've edited the title to include Web, I hope you don't mind. :D Demi

Thanks for this.

I've been looking at the spell in NI. I've found mention of an 'Entangle Overlay'. Which I'm guessing is the animation. But I can't find anything that links an animation to the overlay.

R

Well, changing the animation may be tricky, especially if it involves replacing 'entangle overlay' with something else. If you don't use vanilla's 'entangle overlay' opcode you also have to change a lot of references to it as any creature immune to entangle would need to be immune to the new animation, and every item/creature which used the opcode needs to use the new animation.

Anyway, I really can't devote my time to it, at least not anytime soon, sorry. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge on this matter may help you, and indirectly me if we decide to work on this for future versions.

I don't guarantee this will work, but the overlay animation from IWD is entangc.bam and the overlay animation from BG2 is spentaci.bam. In theory, if you extract the former, rename it to the latter, and dump it in the BG2 override directory, it will take precedence. You'll need Near Infinity or something similar to extract the IWD animation.

(The things you learn from trying to finish Cam's IWD-in-BG2 project...)

I don't guarantee this will work, but the overlay animation from IWD is entangc.bam and the overlay animation from BG2 is spentaci.bam. In theory, if you extract the former, rename it to the latter, and dump it in the BG2 override directory, it will take precedence. You'll need Near Infinity or something similar to extract the IWD animation.
Thanks DavidW, I've also replaced spentaai.bam with the respective bam from IWDII, and it indeed works. I don't have IWD installed though, are IWD and IWDII entangle animation the same? And does anyone actually prefer BG's animation?
This from BG2 is too 'flashy' and it's hard to see anything. So change is for plus. :D
IWDII's animation too is quite "flashy"...the only improvement imo is that it's smaller, more similar to BG's web overlay in size. As I said though I don't know if IWD used the same animation of IWDII.

P.S Yarpen, have you worked on bams yet? :D

I wouldn't mind the changing it too.

As I said though I don't know if IWD used the same animation of IWDII.
Well, what I can see, it's the exact same in the IwDs, but way better than in BG2.

BG1:(It shows this way cause of my GPU card... I would have needed to use virtual computer, had I wanted to get rid of the black boxes. PS; the spell is obviously party frendly, but the effect is casted only 1 time.)

baldr002cl4.png

BG2:

baldr000jt9.png

IwD1:

iwind002kh1.png

IwD2:

iwd2000as4.png

I am also in favour of this change.

I hope that Yarpen will help with the spells' bams because the original IWD ones are really a punch in the eye when compared to BG standards (mostly a matter of colours and colour contrast).

Archived