Entangle & Web Graphics

Guest Rychurd

Well, if it can be done regardless of this mod, I'd still try to do it for my personal use. While the BG 2 web is better when used by spiders (it looks more 'natural'), as a web 'spell' I much prefer the flashiness and colour of the IWD animation. Seeing as there is only really one instance of lots of web spells and spiders mixing in all of the BG games (the Cloakwood) it wouldn't bother me seeing spiders and luminous coloured webs. Plus most of the instances are from traps that can be disarmed anyway.

I actually tried this years ago and got the IWD animation but with a dark grey colour and I think black boxes around them. It didn't look good anyway. Is it a 'simple' case of taking the correct IWD animation and renaming it the same as the BG 2 one and sticking it in the override? I've got bugger all modding know how.

It's a great spell but the rubbish animation puts me right off it in BG 1 & 2. It's just odd how they really improved the entangle animation but not the web one for BG2. Then again burning hands looks just as bad in BG 2 as BG 1 and the fire and cold weapon attacks look equally poor (then again I prefer IWD's versions). They improved certain spell animations but not others and then they bizarrely changed a perfectly good blade barrier animation in BG 2 to a worse one in ToB. I know its taking it further off topic but can the old blade barrier animation be restored? Obviously not for this mod specifically but in general terms?

Guest Rychurd
Well, if it can be done regardless of this mod, I'd still try to do it for my personal use.

The Entangle revision is easy as all you have to do is use NI to extract the bam files from IWD, rename them and drop them into the BGII override folder. (The file names are listed in a post above).

I had a look at Web and it doesn't seem to be the same thing. Differences are:

BGII web uses a projectile from the caster to the target area.

IWD doesn't use a projectile, instead a web-bomb errupts from the target area. (There is a webbomb.bam).

BGII has only one animation that is for both the webbed area and any characters who get caught. It's the same graphic but only static.

IWD has two animations. If you look at the pics above it has one small web for the area and a different one for any characters caught in it.

I actually tried this years ago and got the IWD animation but with a dark grey colour.

That's what I just discovered too.

Then again burning hands looks just as bad in BG 2 as BG 1 and the fire and cold weapon attacks look equally poor (then again I prefer IWD's versions).

If I remember IWD1's Flame Strike was far better than BGII's. That's next on my list.

R

Hmm, guess web will be remain as it is then. :worship:

Funny you mention flame strike, as I like the circular animation on the floor in BG 2's but the IWD one is more 'dramatic', and it's a small AoE spell too. Either one is better than BG 1 though.

In terms of spell animations and the elemental damage animations, on the whole IWD 1&2 are more flashy than BG 2. I think more effort was spent in general on IWD, but then again it's poorer in terms of storyline and obviously it has no character development. Style over substance really.

I know the Spell Pack mod uses IWD animations though when I tried it web remained unchanged (probably for the reasons you mentioned).

If I remember IWD1's Flame Strike was far better than BGII's. That's next on my list.
Funny you mention flame strike, as I like the circular animation on the floor in BG 2's but the IWD one is more 'dramatic', and it's a small AoE spell too. Either one is better than BG 1 though.
I do prefer BG2's animation for Flame Strike, and SR also gives it a small AoE similarly to IWD.

In terms of spell animations and the elemental damage animations, on the whole IWD 1&2 are more flashy than BG 2.
I don't think flashy=better, but I'm gradually adding more and more "new" animations to SR, and I'll eventually use IWD ones when 1) they are objectively considered better and 2) the implementation doesn't require too much work.
I know the Spell Pack mod uses IWD animations though when I tried it web remained unchanged (probably for the reasons you mentioned).

I was originally going for IWD animations, but then with the help of some .vvc unknowns, they now use a modified entangle animation that looks really good. In B5, fire can destroy a patch of webs.

I think you have to be registered in order to view them:

http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?...ost&p=34044

-Galactygon

Archived