900 banters, and replay value

Ghreyfain

So I was reading another thread here and saw the figure of 900+ banters mentioned. This made me think of the times I used to replay BG2 to see different banters, and has led me to the question of whether or not these 900 banters appear in random order? Or do they follow a set order like in BG2? Or perhaps a mixture of both, since I imagine there are a number of banters that would need to go in order, whereas others could apply at any time.

Mixture of both. Most sequences with PC are timered and sequenced (and of course romances are), some banters both PC-NPC and NPC-NPC target specific events (ie Jaheira talking after you found Gorion's letter, Coran will talk once yuou get a wyvern head in you inventory). Some NPC-NPC banters appear in a specific sequence (ex Skie-Eldoth, Alora- Kagain, Viconia-Kivan). Obviously, interjections and scenery dialogue again, depend entirely on having the right character in the party at the right time. The rest of the NPC-NPC banters are at random, I believe, especially if you install JC's acceleration script. I have tables that list all (or almost all) banters each NPC initiates and I can publish these the way I am publishing where NPC interjects for people who want to see absolutely every bit of dialogue in one run :( Unfortunately 900 *looks* like a big number, but most characters will initiate a banter with all other 24 only once or twice. I am encouraging everyone on the team to work on enlargment of NPC-PC sets to have at least 3 to 5 banters with PC...

But still, I think that replayability will mainly come from playing with different characters every time through BG1.

Archived