A new drawback?

Salk

Hello Demi!

I was wondering if it would be possible to introduce a new (at least from what I remember...) effect that could take the place of the usual fatigue-like effects that often comes after casting some spells.

Could we just make the caster simply unable to cast for a variable number of rounds as to simulate the mental stress sustained from casting?

I don't know if this is possible within the Infinity Engine but I thought it might be interesting and original.

Tell me what you think... :)

Could we just make the caster simply unable to cast for a variable number of rounds as to simulate the mental stress sustained from casting?
Being unable to cast equals 'don't even try to use it in combat' to me. Same for the casting failure - 5% is very little (it's crit failure in fact) but it's all the more frustrating when those puny 5% kick in the only one time when I absolutely want them not.

I'm for casting speed penalty, even if that would end up taking a full round to cast a Magic Missile. Just my opinion on the matter.

It's already implemented in v3

There's two kind of fatigue : Physical and Mental fatigue.

Physical fatigue is pretty much the same as the Exhausted effect after a berzerker's rage ends.

Mental fatigue is about the same, except that you suffer a +2 casting speed penality.

Perhaps having a round with no spells for suitably powerful spells, real potential game-enders, such as Wish and other high-end spells.
High end spells, like Time Stop perhaps. :)

Yeah, I like the system Demi has put up, but perhaps the 1 or 2 rounds of no casting could be good too for highly draining spells like Greater Restoration.

Perhaps having a round with no spells for suitably powerful spells, real potential game-enders, such as Wish and other high-end spells.
High end spells, like Time Stop perhaps. :)

Yeah, I like the system Demi has put up, but perhaps the 1 or 2 rounds of no casting could be good too for highly draining spells like Greater Restoration.

At the end of the timestop, maybe. Otherwise, the spell is useless.
I'm with Ardanis on this matter, not to mention that even a single round with 100% spellcasting failure after TS or similar spells would probably ruin AI performances.
Isn't there the opcode "Disable Spellcasting Ability"?
The AI would still behave in a sub-optimal way.

I don't understand though, why would you want to force a caster to stand there and do nothing for 1 round?

For the same reason you apply penalties like fatigue or similar after casting a spell. To introduce a penalty.

Not being able to cast doesn't make the caster automatically useless though. Wands/Potions might still be usable even when you use the "Disable Spellcasting Ability"?

Isn't there the opcode "Disable Spellcasting Ability"?
The AI would still behave in a sub-optimal way.

I don't understand though, why would you want to force a caster to stand there and do nothing for 1 round?

For the same reason you apply penalties like fatigue or similar after casting a spell. To introduce a penalty.
Yeah, but a round with no spells is worse than 10 rounds with fatigue for a mage. A mage who's been breached on that round is surely dead if he can't react with something (e.g. invisibility, illusionary protections, combat protections, ...).

Not being able to cast doesn't make the caster automatically useless though.
What a player can do is entirely different from what the AI can do. A player could just save some Minute Meteors to use before the "no spell round", use a previously casted Polymorph Self/Shapechange, cast spells from wands, and so on. The AI would either stand there as an idiot, run away (I suppose SCS mages would at least opt for this if engaged), or attack you with their pathetic fighting skills.

Perhaps I haven't been clear enough, the main problem here is the AI. Players can adapt to almost anything we throw at them, the AI don't.

Well, it is 6 seconds in which you can kite (run away from being hit), use potions and wands (because your aura is clear) and hit things.
Very few opponents have wands in BG and I almost never see them being used even when equipped (though SCS does feature this). Having to either drink a potion (which may not be needed at all in that round, and surely can't be a "planned" momentum for the AI) or flee away don't seem great options for the AI.

You can also utilize your triggers and contingencies.
Do you think the AI is able to not use triggers until it casts a spell which disables his spells for 1 round? :) I don't, and asking SCS to handle it would be crazy imo.

Archived