Look what I found...

theacefes

I was buying some console games at the store and found an original box of ToB. (the big boxes!). It was only 10 USD so I bought it. I have 2 other copies of ToB so I brought the box home and put it in my game closet (I have a closet dedicated to games/computer related stuff). I like to think of it as a piece of history. ??? So I won't use it.

That being the case, I actually got a chance to think about how many copies of BG I've been through.

BG1:

- Had the 5 disc set + the ToTSC disc. Disc 4 became unreadable and ToTSC broke in half "somehow"

- Got the DVD version of BG1 in a bundle package with my new joystick. Bought a new ToTSC.

- The DVD became scratched so that the game would crash after beating Cloakwood. ToTSC disappeared during my last move (along with some of the original music CDs with stuff I composed on them when I was 12/13)

BG2:

- Had a burned copy of BG2 a friend made me. Got ToB later from Amazon.com.

- Bought a boxed set bundle with BG2 and ToB and gave the old set to a friend.

Finally, I got the 4 in 1 set from a friend in the UK as a Christmas gift. I gave the old set to a friend because her cds were either lost/unreadable and now I have two copies of ToB (3 now that I have that new box).

I also still have the strategy guide for BG and the original manual that came with it (the one with Volo's guide in it? :p)

What about you guys? How many copies have you been through (or am I just sad) ?

I was buying some console games at the store and found an original box of ToB. (the big boxes!). It was only 10 USD so I bought it. I have 2 other copies of ToB so I brought the box home and put it in my game closet (I have a closet dedicated to games/computer related stuff). I like to think of it as a piece of history. ??? So I won't use it.

That being the case, I actually got a chance to think about how many copies of BG I've been through.

BG1:

- Had the 5 disc set + the ToTSC disc. Disc 4 became unreadable and ToTSC broke in half "somehow"

- Got the DVD version of BG1 in a bundle package with my new joystick. Bought a new ToTSC.

- The DVD became scratched so that the game would crash after beating Cloakwood. ToTSC disappeared during my last move (along with some of the original music CDs with stuff I composed on them when I was 12/13)

BG2:

- Had a burned copy of BG2 a friend made me. Got ToB later from Amazon.com.

- Bought a boxed set bundle with BG2 and ToB and gave the old set to a friend.

Finally, I got the 4 in 1 set from a friend in the UK as a Christmas gift. I gave the old set to a friend because her cds were either lost/unreadable and now I have two copies of ToB (3 now that I have that new box).

I also still have the strategy guide for BG and the original manual that came with it (the one with Volo's guide in it? :p)

What about you guys? How many copies have you been through (or am I just sad) ?

My BG CDs became unreadable by 2001-2002 or so, and I was able to preserve the game directory by copying it from computer to computer for a while. Eventually file corruption set in, and the executable would no longer launch properly even though it seemed to work for TUTU. I wound up buying the 4-in-1 box set the first time I saw it for a quasi-reasonable price on Amazon, a couple months ago. My BG2 CDs never stopped working but I'm not sure where they are...

Pictures!

Baldur's Gate:

Naturally I have the original 5 disk set that I bought when it was first released.

I have the original TotSC.

I don't use any of those disks any more. Best to keep them scratch free and fully functional.

Then I got the Baldur's Gate Original Saga with Tales of the Sword Coast to take over my playing needs. Two years ago one of the disks cracked so I had to buy another set.

Baldur's Gate 2:

Naturally I have the original SoA and ToB. I also preordered the Collectors edition.

One of my SoA disks got a crack in it, which was unknown to me, and exploded in my brand new DVD/CD drive. I had to replace the drive and the game disk so I bought Baldur's Gate 2: Ultimate Collection which now takes over my playing needs. I don't play the gold plated Collector's edition CDs.

I still have the original BG2 SoA and Collector's edition boxes. I had the boxes for everything else but I had to throw them away to make room in my small apartment at the time. ??? I should have thrown out some clothes instead to make room in my closet, they're not worth anything as time goes by like games or other items with their original packaging.

I don't use any of those disks any more. Best to keep them scratch free and fully functional.

Then I got the Baldur's Gate Original Saga with Tales of the Sword Coast to take over my playing needs. Two years ago one of the disks cracked so I had to buy another set.

You do know the content is a bit different between the BG1+TotSC and original saga? It doesn't really effect the game, but does when you use mods that port the BG1 to BG2 etc.

I, ahm have the BG1+TotSC 6 CD images, as our originals were unreadable long ago and so had to copy the CD's from a cousin of mine that we lend the original CDs to, the Original Saga pack 3 CD's, the BG2:SoA 4 CD pack+the special CD that came with it, they are still in working order... but and cause I do use the CD images, and I lost the ToB CD some where, so I burned another, and use the CD image for playing the game.

I've had:

BG1 6 discs, (BIG BOX), which I got second hand for £2.50 in a charity shop. I must say, it was probably the best find ever.

BG2 Collector's Edition + ToB, which I got for xmas two years later, but was lost for a month before I could play it. ???

Another copy of ToB, as I lost my previous disc while travelling on a train :'(

I finally caved in cause my other discs were scratched, and I think I lost my CD2, and got the DVD set.

All this covers the period of about 6-8 years.

Icen

Archived