LARPing

Mahault

Personally, I don't have a problem with LARPing, though it isn't my cup of tea.

One of the reasons is that you first have to find a large enough place for people to play in. Then you have to make sure that you won't bring about trouble.

Some groups use wooden weapons on each other, for example, to help simulate combat. And yet, if a stranger thinks you are actually hurting someone...well, cops tend to get called out. Usually police don't like being called out for such matters.

It wasn't that long ago when people were demonizing RPGs as Satanic activity to begin with, and considering that Vampire the Masquerade was the big one to push LARPing, that reputation hasn't died down in some people's minds.

Additionally, some LARPers take it as a license to act like an asshole, figuring their actions won't bring about payback.

Nay.

I generally agree with Bri's points. Additionally, my brother played in AMPGARD (sp) in the local park for years. All they ever RPed was combat. *Yawn*. Might as well join a military organization and get it out of your system. Oh wait, I almost forgot. These guys are all rebels against organized society. (Your local group might be an exception.)

I'd rather see a real theater performance or watch a decent movie than watch grown men behave like pre-teens.

Nay. 20 years ago, 4 kids died when they decided to take LARPing to the 'next level.'

Well, I'm not one of those who believe society should protect people from their own stupidity in cases like this.

I mean, almost every LARP I have seen has required people to be at least 16 years old (and often 18).

I participated in my first LARP when I was 15 and I have been in more than 50 games since - or more I haven't really been keeping an exact count. I'm sorry that many of you have negative view / experiences of live roleplaying, but then again I think that LARPing in Europe and particularly in Scandinavia is very, very different than in the US. I base this view on the little that I have heard from the international quests that have visited Finnish LARPing conventions and the stories of my friend that get to know a local LARP group in Canada during her exchange student year back in the mid 90's.

I'm surprised that you haven't heard of 'this activity' before Mahault, as I take that you're from Denmark. In Finland LARPs have been quite widely presented in media - in a very positive light I might add. And I understand that same applies to Sweden too.

For *me* live role playing is far more enjoyable than P&P or CRPG and of course I don't consider it odd or dangerous. :)

EDIT: Oh, and in the case someone is interested, here are some photos from Finnish LARPs: Ilendil's Photo Gallery

Gosh! I haven'ts LARP in years!

We had a group of about 20 or so that used to play it in my area (Canada), well more like a group of "Adults" from several towns. I did truly enjoyed what it was we were doing at the time, but I could not see myself going back to doing it these days. Those I guess at the time I didn't know it was an LARP, we always just used to call it Orcys :)

Then again if I remember correctly it really didn't boil down to much after about 8 months; just became live action medieval free for all with wooden sticks! Ouch I still remember the pain! :)

In response to Meira, I’m Norwegian, if that explains anything, and I think if you were to ask average Norwegian citizens if they know what LARPing is there would be a brief moment of awkward silence before they continued on their way. Being the bastard of Scandinavia I guess this is not so surpirsing. And if it ever got media coverage I obviously never paid it much attention. But, I should admit that although I enjoy the occasional RPG, about 85-90% of the rules are beyond my understanding simply because I don’t have the time (or patience) to sit down and figure it all out. Yes, I’m one of those people! :) I have never played D&D ever in my life so I am far from immersed in this kind of “community†if you will.

I want it to be clear that I’m not trying to insult people who can enjoy LARPing. However, I don’t understand it either. If anyone wishes to try and explain the appeal I will gladly listen, though I maintain the rights to my, as of yet, novice opinion on the subject.

It can have the same appeal as Improv acting like in Drama Class...just to do something you normally wouldn't be able to do (much like Pen and Paper RPGs).

Some people lose themselves within the story lines of television shows, others with movies, yet more in books...playing RPGs isn't any different.

Personally I find LARPs to be a mixed bag... Vampire or other White Wolf LARPs turn me off, mostly because you can't rple play properly in those systems while LARPing. It sort of becomes a way to socialize for the socially inept (sorry if I'm offending anyone here, but this is my experience). Other systems, among them L5R (legend of the five rings - Pseudo Japanese/Chinese/Korean samurai rpg (l5r.alderac.com) and Ars Magica where a pleasure to LARP. L5R I did at GenCon a couple of years back and it absolutely rocked, mostly because of the people. As for LARPing in Norway, I know Bergen used to have a decent LARP community that goes back to the early nineties - I remember the Ars Magica LARP/Conclaves at Regncon (III and IV I think) which blew everyone away - the first was run by Peter Hentges (Sp?) one of the Ars magica designers... :) Other than that I'm pretty sure there was active Vampire LARPing in Bergen after that... but I didn't stay around there to check it out.

As for the Mediveal re-enactment stuff... at least in North America it's mostly done by the SCA (Society for Creative Anarchronism) and is a whole other kettle of fish... although if you don't mind running around in chain and plate armour and beating people over the head with rattan weapons it should be good. Rumours have it the wenching is also quite excellent :) Never praticipated, but had a bunch of friends who enjoyed it, both as a physical challenge and as a great way to be social.

Ok... this got a bit long... but I just figured the whole Norway/Larp thing needed a bit of help.

Let me try to work around my English a bit better. I was not trying to say that LARPing does not exist in Norway. Rather, my point was that this country, and I think this goes for all countries, is not full of people that play, or have any particular interest in D&D and all the rest of it, myself included. Usually, in order to know something is there you have to be looking for it, or at least somewhat educated in its existence, which I have just come to be. Hence, I am still interested to hear what everyone thinks. :)

Anyway, can people really LARP in Bergen? I mean successfully? Nine times out of ten the weather will defeat you. :)

Thing is, role playing does have a higher profile in Scandinavian basis. It's been a while since I read it, but on a percentage basis, more people role play in those areas than in the U.S.

That said, even there it is just a small subgroup within the population at large.

And the Society of Creative Anachronism isn't something I would really consider LARPing, though it is definitely a close cousin.

Sorry, Mahault I mistook the language in your signature to be Danish. Well, even m Swedish isn't in such a good shape, so... :)

In my understanding the LARP scene in Norway is quite lively or at least very ambitious. Not so much D&D stuff, but LARPs that make social or political point.

In LARPs I'm appealed to the deeper immersion in to the character than is generally possible with P&P, the social interaction and the excitement that the actual *doing* instead of just saying the my character does something.

I like fantasy LARPs, though I have also tried Vampire and Cyber Punk. Too much standing around in Vampire one and too much suspension of disbelief in both Vampire and Cyber, so fantasy it is...

Nowadays in Finland LARP rules tend to be extremely simple, focus being in the gaming world and the character. This was much different ten years ago when LARP rules were much closer to their P&P origins.

(sarcasm)

Ah... SCA... No, it's definetly not a LARP. LOL

The difference between LARPs and SCA is that a LARP is *game*, make-belief etc. and all participants tend to understand that. SCA politics, awards and stuff on the other hand people tend take so seriously it's scary.

(/sarcasm)

In SCA I'm appealed to meeting other people with similar interest to medieval crafts - I could not care less for the rattan fighters. Again SCA in Europe is different from the US, but not so much as LARPs.

Archived