What would you want to talk to Sand about?

If PC is an arcaine magic user, I'd imagine it would be even more complicated. I like the idea of wondering why PC didn't sense it, but then maybe she might have? So, while avoiding the excessive foreshadowing you can always give the PC a couple of alternative responces, ranging from: "Hello, every ounce of my blood is full of magic. What's this... this sliver compared to it?!" to "I thought I felt something, but Daeghun told me that every child has such dreams. He can be very dissuasive." It would be a pretty neat talk for Sand, up his alley, for sure.

When Nevalle talks to Nasher about Sand, he presents him as a friend, although a bit reluctantly it seems. Then at the inn he says "he has proven invaluable in such cases in the past". It would be nice to have a conversation with Nevalle about his relationship with Sand

There are some lines that suggest issues with Neverwinter, more specifically with the academy. For example when Sand says "I moved my shop in the docks in the hopes of avoiding notice" I have a hard time believing that would be to escape some luskan predators when the docks seems to be the most unsafe place in NW. I think it would be nice to dig in.

When you first reach Port Llast, he belittles the people there. You could gently tease him by saying he doesn't need to belittle other people to prove his own worth.

Both during the trial and when he visits before the duel he doesn't seem to care a bit about your life being at stake, only about humiliating luskan. Please please tell me you're gonna do something about this ! =S

When Nevalle talks to Nasher about Sand, he presents him as a friend, although a bit reluctantly it seems. Then at the inn he says "he has proven invaluable in such cases in the past". It would be nice to have a conversation with Nevalle about his relationship with Sand
I've categorically refused to impose a past on canon NPCs I've modded. Everyone has their own ideas about what that past might be, and there's never any way to satisfy everyone. Having said that, I have included little tidbits of a past, where it doesn't conflict with canon events, like how Black Ballard got his name, or *small* glimpses of personal history. So, the short answer is "maybe."

There are some lines that suggest issues with Neverwinter, more specifically with the academy. For example when Sand says "I moved my shop in the docks in the hopes of avoiding notice" I have a hard time believing that would be to escape some luskan predators when the docks seems to be the most unsafe place in NW. I think it would be nice to dig in.
The docks might be the most unsafe place in Neverwinter from the perspective of your average shopkeeper interested in crime and customer affluence, but for the man who would like to disappear, they offer a measure of annonymity, and thus, a measure of safety. What respectable mage would set up shop next door to a fishmonger? One who wants glue for tomes, obviously, but it would be the last place a person would look to find a mage, unless they were looking very hard. But that's a talk idea, definitely.

When you first reach Port Llast, he belittles the people there. You could gently tease him by saying he doesn't need to belittle other people to prove his own worth.
I'll look into it, but that's more something that would be added to an eventual romance component, rather than a flirt pack. The idea here is just to include things that could be added to his global conversation file.
Both during the trial and when he visits before the duel he doesn't seem to care a bit about your life being at stake, only about humiliating luskan. Please please tell me you're gonna do something about this ! =S

What do *you* think? After all, we've got precedent for modifying bits and pieces of canon dialogue to suit an active romance. But this is something that would wind up in an eventual romance, not necessarily something I'd put in a flirt pack.

Even so, I will eventually do a full-fledged Sand romance, and with the speed Gavin is moving, it could be sooner then it looks. Of course, that assumes that people will still be playing NWN2 when that happens...

Mmmh I may have gotten ahead of the flirt thing, already thinking about full romance I guess I can't help it :)

Still, I think anyone attracted to him would react when he makes it so obvious he doesn't give a damn if you risk your life. But the dialog addition could be quite different in a full romance so it's probably better to leave it as it is for the moment.

If you have enough influence, when you talk about Qara he says she needs to learn discipline. "If she does not train herself, learn discipline, then her power will consume her". The he says "It is a lesson you could stand to learn yourself". "If you keep it inside, then it will consume you, as it does Qara - or worse, it will consume your judgment, as it has done with others."

Maybe you could reply something about using your seduction power to consume him and/or that standing near him certainly consumes your judgment/control. Or you could tell him that you'd rather have him consume you :D

Or is that too bold for a flirt ? :)

I don't think Sand would be particularly offended at a blatant come-on. He'd probably snicker a little at your lack of subtlety, but it wouldn't be anything tragic. Despite his love of cultured cleverness, he is very vulnerable to flattery, even if he does know it for what it is. "[giggle] My, <FirstName>, you do say the lewdest things!"

But yeah, something about Qara is must!

Speaking of flattery, it could be a nice comic opportunity to start progressive flattering sequence, where you can praise him beyond all reason and see him 'buy' it. I'd say gotta check for Bluff though, and land PC into a bit of troubles when she fails... Unless you already have a million of better ideas! :)

I like the idea of consequences, but I'll have to see how that plays out, space-wise...

... except that I can very, very easily set that up as a [Flatter Sand.] option that opens another dialogue. Yes... I see that as a very viable way to keep the dialogue file space down! That was the problem I ran into when coding up Casavir's PIDs. The dialogue file got so big, I couldn't work with it anymore without crashing the toolset. But if I use PC responses like [Flirt with Sand], "Can we talk about something personal?" and [Flatter Sand], and then cue Sand to start a dialogue after that, problem solved!

You're so clever, Domi! I just wish this talk happened back when I was doing Casavir's romance. It would have made life *so* much easier.

Sand: It's odd that you had no inkling you were carrying another shard within you.

PC: Maybe, but you'd think that you might have noticed it, sensitive as you are.

Sand: Now that I know what to look for, I do detect a subtle difference about you, but I always attributed it to some kind of personal aura. It's hard to localize, though.

PC Maybe you just need a closer look.

Sand: (some witty comeback, with PC responses)

Lol I like that it's rather funny. I can just see his reaction to something like that.

Imo something with Duncan is a must.

I mean they hate each other's guts, there needs to be yelling and snarky insults between them if there's any flirt/romance scene in the Tavern.

It's a neat idea, the only problem is because it's a huge size increase to modify an area in the campaign, you need to tie it to a particular dialogue. I don't remeber if there were Duncan chats later in the game. But maybe Sand can put his two cents in on Duncan when you meet Daeghun. IIRC Daeghun wasn't a big affecianado of his half-brother. :suspect:

Most of Duncan's stuff is confined to one file, though, 10_duncan? I'd have to look it up. Anyway, it wouldn't be too tough to add to that, since it isn't a really huge file. And there's always the possibility of giving them a little exchange like he is supposed to have with Qara or Grobnar. Never had the Grobnar exchange play out, though. Wonder if it's broken. Since Duncan and all of the Neverwinter Docks is inaccessible later in the game (grumbles), there are no "later" dialogues.

Archived