Favorite anime?

Gospel

The Escaflowne movie is ok (its got a great opening sequence with Von), but it feels extremely rushed.  The storyline and characters bear passing resemblences to the series versions.  I actually saw the movie first because I'd heard the series was better and I didn't want to ruin any possible enjoyment I could get from the movie.  I'm glad I did, because while it is entertaining enough, it can't hold a candle to the series.

NGE was one of the first ones I saw.  A friend just said, here this ones pretty good.  Enjoy.  Its also the anime I was able to convince the rest of my family that anime=/=cartoons for kids.  

Porco Rosso, was ok, but I didn't find it to be anything special for a Miyazaki film.  However, its a Miyazaki film, which automatically puts it above most other films out there.

For any fans of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, here is pretty much the best website for their movies.

Pom Poko (Heisei-era Raccoon War Pom Poko, that User mentioned) was a bit too weird for my taste.  What probably made it worse, was the very poor quality of the subtitling on the copy I watched (the Studio Ghibli DVD set is actually a pirated collection.  There are much better subtitled or dubbed versions for most of the stuff on it available elsewhere.)

The Escaflowne movie is ok (its got a great opening sequence with Von), but it feels extremely rushed.  The storyline and characters bear passing resemblences to the series versions.  I actually saw the movie first because I'd heard the series was better and I didn't want to ruin any possible enjoyment I could get from the movie.  I'm glad I did, because while it is entertaining enough, it can't hold a candle to the series.

NGE was one of the first ones I saw.  A friend just said, here this ones pretty good.  Enjoy.  Its also the anime I was able to convince the rest of my family that anime=/=cartoons for kids.  

Porco Rosso, was ok, but I didn't find it to be anything special for a Miyazaki film.  However, its a Miyazaki film, which automatically puts it above most other films out there.

For any fans of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, here is pretty much the best website for their movies.

Pom Poko (Heisei-era Raccoon War Pom Poko, that User mentioned) was a bit too weird for my taste.  What probably made it worse, was the very poor quality of the subtitling on the copy I watched (the Studio Ghibli DVD set is actually a pirated collection.  There are much better subtitled or dubbed versions for most of the stuff on it available elsewhere.)

the escaflowne movie was not that good, but ok..

if you like nge, try rahxephon...i saw the last volume last night, 7th one, and while a lot of people say its a ripoff of nge, its a good ripoff, and i liked it a lot...

looking foward to getting the movie...

yeah, i know the studio ghibli set is pirated...this is why i bought the disney release of kiki and laputa (EXCELLENT EXCELLENT movie) to support ghibli...i had no idea it was a pirate at the time..

and i bought most of their theatrical releases in laser disk straight from japan...

urm...most of the stuff in studio ghibli is NOT available in the us except some fansubs...disney is releasing the first good english dub/subs of miazaki over the next few years, i plan to get all of them, except totaro, (hate that one...urg...)

Regarding the Ghibli stuff being available with better subtitiling, I was refering to third party fan-subbing that can be downloaded off the internet (thats where I get most of my anime).  

I'm currently at episode 11 of RaXephon and waiting for a friend to burn the rest of the episodes off his computer... pretty good so far, and the characters are definately more likeable than NGE's.

Btw: My Neighbour Totoro is still a favourite.  It always makes me happy when I watch it. :D

My favourite Ghibli films are Nausicaa and Whisper of the Heart.  If you enjoyed Laputa then I seriously recommend watching Last Exile.  It stuck me as being very similiar to Laputa in feeling, but more mature.

Hmm, another good series I've seen is Trigun.  The starting is pretty good, but it really picks up around episode 11.

Regarding the Ghibli stuff being available with better subtitiling, I was refering to third party fan-subbing that can be downloaded off the internet (thats where I get most of my anime).  

I'm currently at episode 11 of RaXephon and waiting for a friend to burn the rest of the episodes off his computer... pretty good so far, and the characters are definately more likeable than NGE's.

Btw: My Neighbour Totoro is still a favourite.  It always makes me happy when I watch it. :D

My favourite Ghibli films are Nausicaa and Whisper of the Heart.  If you enjoyed Laputa then I seriously recommend watching Last Exile.  It stuck me as being very similiar to Laputa in feeling, but more mature.

Hmm, another good series I've seen is Trigun.  The starting is pretty good, but it really picks up around episode 11.

this is eeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee....

i just bought last exile, and liked it a lot...

ep 19 or 20 of rahxephon will make you literally cry, its that good...

the ending was good, though very mysterious...

i had already read some spoiler threads about the meaning of the series...

i can't stand totaro...but i've only seen it dubbed, not sub...i could probably enjoy it if it was subbed... :D

ever seen voices of a distant star or haibane ranmei??? :D  :D  :D  i love them...

Haibane Renmei is up there on my list and yes, I loved it.  Its actually made by the same director who did Serial Experiments Lain, an excellent series once you can get your head around it.  

I've heard lots of good things about Voices of a Distant Star, and I've a friend who keeps on urging me to borrow his copy, so I'll probably do that sometime soon (after my exams are over).

BTW: Since you have the pirated Ghibli pack, you have the music video 'On Your Mark'.  What did you think of it?  The first time I saw it, I wanted to see the anime the images were taken from. :D.  Unfortunately its all custom animation for the music video.  Miyazaki had some interesting things to say about it though, which you can see over on Nausicaa.net.

Regarding sad anime's, Grave of the Fireflies beats every other one.  I started crying within the first couple of minutes and only stopped momentarily throughout the film.  What makes the film even sadder is that much of the events that occur actually happened to the author of the story....  It was directed by one of the other big Ghibli directors Isao Takahata who also directed Pom Poko and Only Yesterday (a decent film, but nothing special for me.)

Haibane Renmei is up there on my list and yes, I loved it.  Its actually made by the same director who did Serial Experiments Lain, an excellent series once you can get your head around it.  

I've heard lots of good things about Voices of a Distant Star, and I've a friend who keeps on urging me to borrow his copy, so I'll probably do that sometime soon (after my exams are over).

BTW: Since you have the pirated Ghibli pack, you have the music video 'On Your Mark'.  What did you think of it?  The first time I saw it, I wanted to see the anime the images were taken from. :D.  Unfortunately its all custom animation for the music video.  Miyazaki had some interesting things to say about it though, which you can see over on Nausicaa.net.

Regarding sad anime's, Grave of the Fireflies beats every other one.  I started crying within the first couple of minutes and only stopped momentarily throughout the film.  What makes the film even sadder is that much of the events that occur actually happened to the author of the story....  It was directed by one of the other big Ghibli directors Isao Takahata who also directed Pom Poko and Only Yesterday (a decent film, but nothing special for me.)

I have the entire serial experiments lain... i liked it when i bought it, but i rarely rewatch it...its good, but haibane is better...lots better...

I think voices of a distant star is AS GOOD as haibane ranmei...go buy it now!!!  NOW!!!  NOWW!!!! :D  :D  :D

i liked on your mark...i thought it was very good, i can't remember the details, since i last watched it a long time ago...urm...and since i just bought witch hunter robin 2 and full metal panic 5...won't be for a while...hehheheh!!! and rahxephon 7....

grave of the fireflys is utterly one of the saddest movies ever...yes i have it...

i still feel guilty about buying the pirated ghibli pack, which is why i am buying all the disney releases as they come out...i support intellectual property, and i will get rid of the pirated copy i have once i have all the legal releases... :D

Witch Hunter Robin 2?  When did that come out?   Or is it the second DVD of the Witch Hunter Robin series?

If you enjoyed Witch Hunter Robin, I'd recommend Wolf's Rain.  Its done by the same group that did Cowboy Bebop, but it has something of the Witch Hunter Robin feel, plus an atmosphere all of its own.  The music is done by Yoko Kanno (she did also the music for Cowboy Bebop, Visions of Escaflowne, and several other excellent soundtracks) and several of the vocalists and musicians that she has worked with in the past.

Another anime I cannot recommendly highly enough is Juuni Kokki (Saga of the 12 Kingdoms).  If you enjoyed Escaflowne or historical animes like Kenshin then you'll love it.  Its a much more mature anime, with much of the plot centering around politics and government (but with a couple twists.)

Some people find that the first 12 or so episodes of Witch Hunter Robin seem to drag.  Personally I feel they create an atmosphere of normality, so when things really go to hell the reactions of the characters make more sense.  BTW, whats your feelings about 'the factory'?

Some people find that the first 12 or so episodes of Witch Hunter Robin seem to drag.  Personally I feel they create an atmosphere of normality, so when things really go to hell the reactions of the characters make more sense.  BTW, whats your feelings about 'the factory'?

well, since i've already read the spoilers...URG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YECH, BLEH!!!!! (yes, i know exactly what's going to happen)

oh yeah, here's another series i can't recommend highly enough....

Ai Yori Aioshi!!!

i love it, its a straight, utterly sweet love story, and i like it far far better than his and her circumstances...and i am a huge gainax fan... :D  :D  :D

Hmm, if you like Gainx, then you may enjoy FLCL.  A completely weird and wacky anime by Gainx, that makes fun of some of the anime conventions.  It features such comments as "Oh, he wrote a book on the deeper meanings of EVA" as an explanination as to why someone is as weird as they are.

Regarding the factory in Witch Hunter Robin, I'd had it pegged right from episode 1.  To me, it was completely obvious as to what was going on there and I kept wondering why the characters in the story weren't catching on.  Wishful thinking I guess.

Hmm, if you like Gainx, then you may enjoy FLCL.  A completely weird and wacky anime by Gainx, that makes fun of some of the anime conventions.  It features such comments as "Oh, he wrote a book on the deeper meanings of EVA" as an explanination as to why someone is as weird as they are.

Regarding the factory in Witch Hunter Robin, I'd had it pegged right from episode 1.  To me, it was completely obvious as to what was going on there and I kept wondering why the characters in the story weren't catching on.  Wishful thinking I guess.

i actually have flcl...i didn't like it much, but bought all of them in the hopes the ending was good...wistful thinking since its gainax...

well it is pretty gruesome as to what the factory must be doing...ewww... :D

Archived