ShadowKeeper? I must be missing something.

DalreiDal

So, browsing around a few forums, I came upon the mention "Open ShadowKeeper and do this, do that..." like it's the most trivial thing in the world.

I must be missing something.

All I want to do, really, is give my character 84 attribute points without having to spend half an hour rolling dice at the character screen creation. From my browsing, I have drawn the conclusion that ShadowKeeper seems to be the most appropriate tool for the operation of editing a character's attributes.

I'm sorry, but is the ShadowKeeper everyone talks about the command utility I have found? If so, how do you go about getting to know the program, with no tutorial/beginner's guide that I could find on the website?

Is there another simpler tool that could simply add the frustrating +2 to my fighter's constitution?

Thank you all for your patience and assistance...

backup your baldur.ini file in your bg2-soa directory.

under [Program Options] add the line "Debug Mode=1" -- no quotes.

at the Attribute screen during chargen, hit control-8. this will set all attributes to 18 which you can redistribute as you like. the main drawback is that STR is always 18/00 even for non-fighters (which you can always lower).

@ DalreiDal - Shadowkeeper is simple to use, yes. Just download it, install it, and run the exe. You will have to point the program to your game directory (click settings/installation directory). Open the desired saved game and change any of your party characters. By default it saves as a new game, leaving the old untouched.

As for using the "Debug Mode", you have to have it active to use the CTRL+8 function in character generation. This means you have to enter a game, activate it, then leave that game and start a new game without closing the BG2 program. If you close BG2, the CLUAConsole deactivates. For clearer instructions, check out the IESDP.

For what you're asking, Shadowkeeper is probably your simplest and best choice.

As for using the "Debug Mode", you have to have it active to use the CTRL+8 function in character generation. This means you have to enter a game, activate it, then leave that game and start a new game without closing the BG2 program. If you close BG2, the CLUAConsole deactivates. For clearer instructions, check out the IESDP.

eh? am i missing something? he's not doing anything with the console and asked for the simplest method to tweak his generated stats. anything with the console would obviously be post-chargen.

eh? am i missing something?
Yes, the original question and the answer to it is, finally: the ShadowKeeper. Download, and use.

Oh. Knew the console but not this one. Nice!

...how do I lower the /00 of STR??

Thank you!

You start the Shadowkeeper, you need to make a setup, you find the file that in your game folder, and then you need to restart the editor, after that done, load the save, select the character and set the STR to 18 if it's not, and then edit the other strenght stat. Done.

Wait wait wait.

First, I did download and "installed" ShadowKeeper (unrared/zipped it, whichever it was). Then I double-clicked on the .exe and ended up in a black DOS-like prompt window. With the /help and /help commands being completely unhelpful. We must be talking about something else. There is no "Settings" to click on in the command-line interface.

...so how exactly is it supposed to be "simple" to figure out how to "do a setup" (what did you mean?) and edit my character's stats? How/where to I find my "game file" - is that the baldur.sav, the characters folder, something else entirely???

And btw, it's 'she' :)

AH.

May I offer the opinion that the site is not well-done? I thought I must be having the wrong program, and I did. Wrong link to the "Using the program" and the file is not in the download menu on the left-hand of the screen but hidden beneath a zillion pages of version history.

Now I look like a noob, don't I.

Ah, well. Le ridicule ne tue pas! Thanks for your assistance, everyone.

Archived