Useless dialogue information

ericp07

Hello,

Included in Erysseril's dialogues are a few brief discussions of herbs she notices growing in different outdoor areas, as she notices them and points them out to the PC, then explains their properties if the PC doesn't already know. It's scenery dialogue (literally), but the information has no in-game effect, unless I either create some additional items or work with one of the mods that adds herbs and potions (I'm aware of three such mods).

The herbs in question, most of which are Faerun-specific, are reputed to speed healing by various amounts, for various short amounts of time. I feel the content would be more worthwhile if the party could make practical use of it, but maybe that's not always necessary.

Would it be better to cut this material, leave it in, or make additions as mentioned above to make it more useful?

Thanks,

Eric

If those discussions are invoked by "do you know what that funny-looking plant over there does?", imo it's totally fine. PC wants to talk, the talk he gets. Otherwise he's uninterested.

If they're more forced on player, then I guess adding a tiny bit of plot is necessary, even if that's as much as getting a healing potion out of thin air during the conversation.

I would have taken the first route. First it's less to do, second it's less mod-looking.

If those discussions are invoked by "do you know what that funny-looking plant over there does?", imo it's totally fine. PC wants to talk, the talk he gets. Otherwise he's uninterested.

If they're more forced on player, then I guess adding a tiny bit of plot is necessary, even if that's as much as getting a healing potion out of thin air during the conversation.

I would have taken the first route. First it's less to do, second it's less mod-looking.

So, including such a thing as a PID is preferable? I've been debating whether or not to include any PIDs at all. I suppose I could transform what I've already written into PIDs, and that would be less work than rewriting.

Thanks,

Eric

You could also use it in a normal dialogue. Say, if there're conversations that trigger when entering a wilderness area (iirc you have some already?), then it may be as good a place as any to add an option to ask for more information about the area, especially if she's already into discussing the surrounding nature.

I like this kind of dialogue, and totally without the need to make it "useful" by an item or something. Let the NPC initiate the dialogue in an outdoor area, and if the PC wants, he can ask further, and if not, the conversation can be ended.

If you are reluctant to "bother" the PC with such a dialogue, there is also always the possibility to let the NPC talk about it with another party NPC. In my Ajantis dialogue, e.g. he and Jaheira talk about a poisonous plant they (imaginary) see at the path.

I like this kind of dialogue, and totally without the need to make it "useful" by an item or something. Let the NPC initiate the dialogue in an outdoor area, and if the PC wants, he can ask further, and if not, the conversation can be ended.

If you are reluctant to "bother" the PC with such a dialogue, there is also always the possibility to let the NPC talk about it with another party NPC. In my Ajantis dialogue, e.g. he and Jaheira talk about a poisonous plant they (imaginary) see at the path.

Nice :) I wrote a reminder to myself in all my .d files: "Dialogue Should Move the Story Forward, Provide Information, or Enhance Characterization." Sometimes it's difficult to see whether or not a bit of conversation serves this statement. In the case of discussing herbs and trees, my hope is to illustrate my NPC's interests and personality.

I'll probably end up keeping the dialogues, and I'm sure I'll refine them as I go over my files. I still have a LOT of dialogue to write, rewrite, code, and test.

Thanks!

Eric

You could also use it in a normal dialogue. Say, if there're conversations that trigger when entering a wilderness area (iirc you have some already?), then it may be as good a place as any to add an option to ask for more information about the area, especially if she's already into discussing the surrounding nature.

Ahhh...and now some more seeds are sprouting in my mind...

Yes, there are several things that depend on the area entered. Now, I'll see if I can come up with some alternative ways of introducing the information. These exchanges are only a few lines each; I have loads of other additional detail in my notes that's relevant to the character, but that will get only brief mentions, if any (why should she launch into lengthy descriptions of her home forest, when a quick comparison of one detail or another in the game's forest areas to her homeland would be enough?).

Still grinding the gears,

Eric

many different approaches to these things. if Merelyn were my NPC, i'd give her a one-use-per-day, static (doesn't level), minor (~10 hp) Heal Other innate that's flagged as outdoor only, then have it explained via a short dialog that triggers after its first use.

many different approaches to these things. if Erysseril were my NPC, i'd give her a one-use-per-day, static (doesn't level), minor (~10 hp) Heal Other innate that's flagged as outdoor only, then have it explained via a short dialog that triggers after its first use.

Well, she has an amulet that provides use of cure medium wounds and neutralize poison, so I'm hesitant to give her more healing abilities. In the case of still setting up the ability as outlined above, I'd set the hp regained much lower. One herb would be used to heal 1d4 hp. Another would speed healing by a third for one or two days. Things like that.

Erysseril's dialogues on the subject lead into what you suggest, phordicus, as she notices, mentions it, she and PC agree it's worth gathering, and the game continues. The minor healing ability could translate into the game as Erysseril preparing a wound dressing and applying it to a hurt character. Another possibility to ponder here.

Thanks,

Eric

many different approaches to these things. if Erysseril were my NPC, i'd give her a one-use-per-day, static (doesn't level), minor (~10 hp) Heal Other innate that's flagged as outdoor only, then have it explained via a short dialog that triggers after its first use.

Well, she has an amulet that provides use of cure medium wounds and neutralize poison, so I'm hesitant to give her more healing abilities. In the case of still setting up the ability as outlined above, I'd set the hp regained much lower. One herb would be used to heal 1d4 hp. Another would speed healing by a third for one or two days. Things like that.

Erysseril's dialogues on the subject lead into what you suggest, phordicus, as she notices, mentions it, she and PC agree it's worth gathering, and the game continues. The minor healing ability could translate into the game as Erysseril preparing a wound dressing and applying it to a hurt character. Another possibility to ponder here.

Thanks,

Eric

I believe I've found a better way to handle this than the way I described it above. Still reworking the scripting and dialogue, and about to implement a little brainstorm I had last night, and again this morning :)

The party is moving along its way. Erysseril notices that the PC's wounds are weighing on him/her. If the party has no healing potions handy, and it isn't convenient/possible to duck into the nearest temple to buy some potions or some healing, then she'll bring up the subject, and apply a wound dressing or otherwise treat the PC's wounds, all in the dialogue, and finally, the benefits of the healing herb in question will be applied. I haven't figured out that last bit yet.

Birthwort heals wounds twice as fast as normal for two days, when used in a dressing.

Comfrey leaf tea heals three times as fast as normal, if drunk three times a day.

Garlic juice keeps wounds clean, healing twice as fast as normal for three days.

Related to this, in a way, is a matter of red helmthorn berries. A goodberry spell cast using these berries lasts one day longer than normal. I'd like to represent this in the game, too, if possible.

So, I'm off to see if I can figure out how to script these effects. no .itm files will be needed. I'll come crying for help if I get stuck ;)

Cheers,

Eric

To the original question: I love useless dialogues, don't make them all PID's however. And I like area situated dialogues too.

Looking foreward to try Meleryn.

Cheers

Excellent! I'm deciding not to refer to them as "useless" anymore, as they clearly have a use. I'm avoiding PIDs completely, so far, but now I'm thinking that using PIDs would be a good way to handle more detailed information, if the PC should ask Erysseril to tell him/her more about whatever. I'm working on the files just about every day, and there's a long way to go before the mod will be ready for beta testing. I will finish it, eventually, though!

Thanks,

Eric

Archived