Algernon's Cloak vs Coran (BG1 UB)

chuft

Well, Algernon's Cloak was nigh unstoppable until I ran into Coran on the bridge and tried to make him into my personal scout for Cloakwood.

GJadE.jpg

Most of the time I used the cloak, it did nothing. The other times - well you can see the die rolls.

Very strange. I am using BG1 Unfinished Business, which gives elves 90% charm resistance, which I assume is why most of the time, he didn't have to make a saving throw.

The rest of the time though...he made it every time!

There are about 15 more attempts further up the screen. I wanted to get rid of the "Pause" and "Unpause" lines so I started a fresh batch of attempts to get a solid screen of Coran successful saves but Viconia spoiled it....

I guess I am puzzled both by why this happened, and also by this line from the Unfinished Business readme:

"BG1 Unfinished Business ("BG1UB") is a WeiDU-based mod for Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast ("TOTSC"), and Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga ("TOS"). This edition is for BG1Tutu ("Tutu") and Baldur's Gate Trilogy ("BGT"), which port these games into the Baldur's Gate II engine. "

There is no separate download for BG1/TotSC. Is v12 only for Tutu and BGT? Or does it work with regular BG1 as well? I am wondering if I installed the wrong version, and if so, where to get the vanilla BG1/TotSC version of UB.

There is no separate download for BG1/TotSC. Is v12 only for Tutu and BGT? Or does it work with regular BG1 as well? I am wondering if I installed the wrong version, and if so, where to get the vanilla BG1/TotSC version of UB.

The installers were unified at some point. There's only one version (well, two, if you count OS X).

Chances may be better of getting answers at the mod's forum at forums.pocketplane.net, no?

Somebody already asked over there and this is the answer they got:

BG1UB was designed and written (originally) for BG/TotSC. It should still work (Tutu and BGT support was added afterward), although you may have trouble if you don't have the expansion.

I was hoping someone here might have more information.

Now that I read that again, I am not sure what they meant by "the expansion" - TotSC, or Tutu/BGT?

BG1UB was designed and written for BG/TotSC. It should still work, although you may have trouble if you don't have the expansion.
Now that I read that again, I am not sure what they meant by "the expansion" - TotSC, or Tutu/BGT?
If something is hard to read with the brackets, read it without them... so in conclusion, the mod was done to the TotSC version of the game, but it should work even without that expansion pack. The Tutu and BGT etc mod supports were added later to the mod.

The "expansion" being TotSC. Although it may have worked with plain BG, it was designed for BG/TotSC. The work to support Tutu and such was done after the fact, by other modders.

As for this issue, I believe the implementation simply blocks charm. There's no special sauce (it has to get hit with the charm effect to be able to know to block it). So if he makes his save, you get the feedback; if he fails his save, you don't get that feedback but he still has a 90% chance of avoiding the charm effect.

The "expansion" being TotSC. Although it may have worked with plain BG, it was designed for BG/TotSC. The work to support Tutu and such was done after the fact, by other modders.

As for this issue, I believe the implementation simply blocks charm. There's no special sauce (it has to get hit with the charm effect to be able to know to block it). So if he makes his save, you get the feedback; if he fails his save, you don't get that feedback but he still has a 90% chance of avoiding the charm effect.

Interesting. OK I assumed the 90% came first, it makes sense then if it comes after the save that I would never see a failed save. However, he never did get charmed no matter how many times I tried it. The 90% seems more like 100%.

Sounds like elves are a lot better against Sirines than they used to be!

It could be 100%; I wasn't involved in that bit and haven't looked at it in ages. I thought elves are supposed to be immune (and half-elves simply resistant), but I don't know what Coran is or if that's even true.

Going back in time, I probably would have turned my nose up at the idea even more than I undoubtedly did. There's no evidence it was ever intended, except for lazy copy/paste from the phb.

from string 9552

ELVES: Elves tend to be shorter and slimmer than normal humans. Their features are finely chiseled and delicate, and they speak in melodic tones. Elves are looked upon as being frivolous and aloof. They concern themselves with natural beauty, dancing, frolicking, and other similar pursuits. Their humor is clever, as are their songs and poetry. Elves have a natural resistance to charm and sleep magics. They can see in the dark with infravision, and they are very skilled in the use of the bow and long sword. They have a bonus to their dexterity, but incur a penalty to their constitution. There are five racial divisions of elves within the Realms: Gold elves, Moon elves, Wild elves, Sea elves, and Drow.
Coran is an elf and there is a good possibility that they are already immune to charm. Only way to know is to try the same thing without the mod component in question being installed...

No, charm/sleep resistance for elves was never implemented. It was only ever in the description (which they just copied from D&D source material).

I personally don't believe they actually intended it to be there. But we're slaves to the game text sometimes.

Archived