New Guy Full of Questions

Haplo

Yep -- because R#ARTHURB is longer than 8 characters. Make it R#ARTHUB and it will work.

You should also be using == R#ARTHUB rather than == R#Arthur. This is his banter file; he should always be using R#ARTHUB, not his initial dialogue file (R#ARTHUR).

The install is ok, but for this:

[trigger list near line 15, column 5 of Dayne/R#ArthuB.d] PARSE WARNING at line 19 column 41-41

Near Text: )

[stateCheck] argument [CD_STATE_NOTVALID] not found in [state.IDS]

[trigger list near line 15, column 5 of Dayne/R#ArthuB.d] PARSE WARNING at line 21 column 38-38

[trigger list near line 56, column 5 of Dayne/R#ArthuB.d] PARSE WARNING at line 60 column 41-41

[trigger list near line 56, column 5 of Dayne/R#ArthuB.d] PARSE WARNING at line 62 column 38-38

And the file looks like this:

BEGIN R#ArthuB

CHAIN

IF ~InParty("R#ArthuB")

InParty(Player1)

!StateCheck("R#ArthuB",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

Global("R#MyGlobal","GLOBAL",0)~

THEN R#ArthuB Banter1

~I love women.~

DO ~SetGlobal("R#MyGlobal","GLOBAL",1)~

END

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes, me too!~ GOTO Banter1-1

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Really? I thought otherwise.~ GOTO Banter1-2

CHAIN

IF ~~ THEN R#ArthuB Banter1-1

~I'm glad you agree with me!~

EXIT

CHAIN

IF ~~ THEN R#ArthuB Banter1-2

~Fuck you.~

EXIT

CHAIN

IF ~InParty("R#ArthuB")

InParty("Minsc")

!StateCheck("R#ArthuB",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

!StateCheck("Minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

Global("R#MyMinscGlobal","GLOBAL",0)~

THEN R#ArthuB ArthurMinsc1

~Minsc, Is that a hamster?.~

DO ~SetGlobal("R#MyMinscGlobal","GLOBAL",1)~

== BMINSC ~Yes! Boo is a hamster!~

== R#ArthuB ~That's mad.~

= ~You two should be in a mental institution.~

== BMINSC ~Yes, and buttkicking!~

EXIT

Can't see why....

Ok..... after maaaaany test, I decided to go over everything again.... so I decided to follow the tutorial till the last letter, so I created a new NPC as if today was my First day and copied and pasted the tutorial literally till the point that I'm currently at, with my own NPC, and what is my surprise to discover that is giving me the same error.... something is amiss with the banter file making, or that is my conclusion at least.... could it be possible??

Here I post for u the error and the Link to the tutorial in case u wanna check it out (I may made a mistake somehow)

[trigger list near line 15, column 5 of Sam/K#SamB.d] PARSE WARNING at line 19 column 38-38

[trigger list near line 15, column 5 of Sam/K#SamB.d] PARSE WARNING at line 21 column 38-38

And the link : http://katbella.com/npcguide/3_4.html (You can also go to the tutorial section and click in Ace's very Long NPC tutorial)

Your BG2 installation is probably missing the CD_STATE_NOTVALID constant.

Put the following statement somewhere at the beginning of your TP2 file (after BACKUP and AUTHOR):

ALWAYS
APPEND ~STATE.IDS~ ~0x80101FEF CD_STATE_NOTVALID~
UNLESS ~CD_STATE_NOTVALID~
END

Or you install the bg2fixpack. I think it's the "Super Happy Modder Pack" component (or something like that).

Ok, I've been testing the mods, both behave oddly, let me explain:

-If you been helping me you may recall that I created and NPC following a tutorial, but because I was having troubles I decided to create a new one, and exact copy of the tutorial, now, I modified my first NPC for his files to be line by line the same as the second NPC (the copy of the tutorial) but for what he says. But then when playing the first NPC will stand and the second will come to meet me, then when join neither of the NPC bunters will trigger, if I reject the first NPC I will be able to talk to him again and he will join me (even if I kick him out, or we walks away displease by my repu), but the second NPC walks away forever (same as if I kick her out). And the last part, They supposed to say something when Nalia first approach, the first NPC says nothing and Nalia won't ask my help for castle D'Arnise, if I talk to her she just act as if we met before and ask me if I would have her in my group, and the second NPC will interject correctly, and Nalia will ask my help as usual.

I explain it as well as I could, and a checked the files line by line, all the same but for the words. the only difference that occurs to me is that when creating the CRE files the first NPC I pregenarate it in multi-player and the second NPC I just used one of the CRE that the game brings by defalut (Fighter, Cleric,Thief,Mage), Could that be it??

Hey Guys, It's me again, Thanks to Ace's I solved all the trouble above and went deeper in my mod :)

Now the question I have is: Which is the best way to put a bunch of guys to have a fight with? u have to created them all as CRE's or u can take some that are already in the game and throw them in?

I guess Bioware created typos, some CRE's that they place in random encounters and things like that.... or am I guessing wrong?

Oh... and if I can just take them.... where would they by and how would I access to them? (NE, DLTCEP,ect..)

Bueh, I recover this topic instead of creating a new one... After a looooooooooong break (life is hard), I've starting a new NPC mod (since the last one is quite advance and I can't seem to remember or understand anything I did....), as a way of refreshing my memory and Re-learning how to do this :)

Anyways.... the question I would like you to help me with is: Is there a way to set up a dialogue in this way?:

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(1 or more...) THEN

Because if is only (1), then next time is 2 (obviously) and the same block of Dialogue won't start... which is the whole point actually.

Kind of making a loop in that one

Thanks beforehand!!!!

Hey guys, I need some help here....

Is there no way to have more than a couple of blocks of Dialogue?

I mean in the Char I'm creating, I have the initial hello block bla bla... and then a next block where she's telling you off about her quest, know, That block has 3 parts managed with 3 different timers, the first part fires up nicely and all works nice, the problems is when it fires up the second part when the proper answer is given in the first part. The script to manage that is ok since it triggers the conversation... or tries to, because the characters keep facing each other as if they wanted to talk but had nothing to say, that led me to the conclusion the problem is with the Variables in the Dialogue file, and I've been trying for a while, tracking all off them and trying different combinations, but it does no happen, in a way is like it's unable to recognize the part of the Dialogue it has to fire up... and I run out of Ideas :(

So hence... my question up there. (And yes, I already used NumTimesTalkGT(0))

Take a look at some other mods dialog(.d) files. Search one that uses CHAIN ... and you'll hopefully run into one that you can understand.... it basically works with the GOTO(+) commands... but it might be shortened as the weidu.exe has special features around the .d files construction to be a .dlk ... such as replacing the +'s and ++'s with correct things so it actually makes a the dialog possible.

//IJ#esirA.d

//PCs barters with Esiriak

BEGIN IJ#esirA

CHAIN

IF ~InParty("IJ#Esir")

InParty(Player1)

!ActuallyInCombat()

Global("Esiriak-PC","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN IJ#esirA Esiriak-PC1

~I can see you have something in your mind, so speak out with it.~

DO ~SetGLOBAL("Esiriak-PC","GLOBAL",1)~

++ THEN REPLY ~So I was curious, how did it happen that you ended up in Mind Flayer form, Esiriak.~ + Esiriak-PC-1

++ THEN REPLY ~Never mind.~ + Esiriak-PC-2

++ THEN REPLY ~Ah, no. I don't want to know anything.~ + Esiriak-PC-3

END

CHAIN

IF ~~ THEN IJ#esirA Esiriak-PC-1

~Ahh, well I put this Robe on and puff, I became a Mind Flayer.~

++ THEN REPLY ~So, can't you just, ah well, change back to human form?~ + Esiriak-PC11 EXIT

END

CHAIN

IF ~~ THEN IJ#esirA Esiriak-PC-2

~Haha-ha.~

++ THEN REPLY ~No, stop poking in to my mind and stay out!~ + Esiriak-PC-4 EXIT

END

CHAIN

IF ~~ THEN IJ#esirA Esiriak-PC-3

~Well, in that case I might as well leave, bye.~ DO ~LeaveParty()~ EXIT

END

CHAIN

IF ~~ THEN IJ#esirA Esiriak-PC11

~Hey, I am an Abjurer, I resent that, but... no. But hmm, why would I even want to be a lousy human? I am a Tanar'ri after all.~

DO ~SetGlobal("EsiriakConfess,"GLOBAL",1)~

++ THEN REPLY ~What, you are a demon?~ + Esiriak-PC-5 EXIT

END

CHAIN

IF ~~ THEN IJ#esirA Esiriak-PC-4

~But the poking is the most fun part to have in this form!~

++ THEN REPLY ~Form? You said form, so how did it happen a mage of your status ended up in this form, Esiriak?~ + Esiriak-PC-1 EXIT

END

CHAIN

IF ~~ THEN IJ#esirA Esiriak-PC-5

~Yes, a demon.~

++ THEN REPLY ~But...~ + Esiriak-PC-6 EXIT

END

CHAIN

IF ~~ THEN IJ#esirA Esiriak-PC-6

~Yes, good news, a demon can be a mage, and that's that. Now shall we go, or shall you just stand there and look me like an idiot, all day long? I could eat your brains you know, but confused brains just taste bad.~

END

Wow, that's useful!!!

I actually thought that Banter files where just for...well.... Banters, and so I was saving it for just that :D

Now I've come to think of it, I always thought Dialogue and Banters completly different, and that's why you would us the SAY in the Dialogue file and CHAIN in the Banters one...

Archived