Making a component BG friendly

plainab

I understand that SCS is not designed to work with BG/BG:ToTSC. However the Skip Candlekeep component would be nice to have in BG (at least for me so I don't have to repeat the prolog every time I need to test out major changes to the BG fix pack).

I'm willing to do the necessary adjustments, just wanted your permission to make it BG friendly and to make a few adjustments. the biggest adjustment is to provide the exact items, gold & exp that is awarded during the prolog quests (based on reaction level) as well as any items and gold available in containers (even locked & hard to open ones).

I don't think I'll put it out as its own mod, but may leave it tacked onto the end of the BG Fixpack as an optional component while the fixpack is still being tested out...

No one's going to object to an unofficial component being tacked on temporarily to an unreleased mod :). While you're at it, you may as well convert the Shorter Gorion Cutscene component from Aurora (which you may have done somewhat, but the Aurora component should patch the existing cutscenes to shorten them so you can get right into testing, and should be more or less compatible with BG1).

but Miloch you might like it so much that you want to leave it in OBC permanently ^^

BTW the SCS component (at least the version i have) gives a fire agate gem even tho the guard says something about a lynx eye gem... and where did you get the 400 exp from? could that include exp from opening containers and such in a BG2 environment? in regular BG you only get about 200 exp in the whole of the prologue and that includes killing the thugs...

or were your #s pretty much just random?

gold & exp that is awarded during the prolog quests (based on reaction level)

SCS's Skip Candlekeep does not adjust to reaction level and will give the "average" loot. I will release in few days (doing the finishing touches currently) a new mod that will include, among other things, a component doing a similar job of SCS's component, but not based on it, that will adjust to reaction level and will avoid any 4th wall breakage.

Ancient history, but just to confirm that this is completely fine.

For reference, the copyright section of SCSII states:

"

Since in practice I'm obviously not going to sue anyone, I'll use this section to say what I'd like people's attitude to re-using and redistributing my mods. Basically, I don't mind what you do provided you (a) give me full credit when you borrow or re-use my code, and (b) don't actually mirror this mod somewhere else.

"

Ancient history, but just to confirm that this is completely fine.

For reference, the copyright section of SCSII states:

"

Since in practice I'm obviously not going to sue anyone, I'll use this section to say what I'd like people's attitude to re-using and redistributing my mods [should be]. Basically, I don't mind what you do provided you (a) give me full credit when you borrow or re-use my code, and (b) don't actually mirror this mod somewhere else.

"

I'm a non-native speaker - so I might be wildly off - but shouldn't the above section be completed with the bracketed text?

gold & exp that is awarded during the prolog quests (based on reaction level)

SCS's Skip Candlekeep does not adjust to reaction level and will give the "average" loot. I will release in few days (doing the finishing touches currently) a new mod that will include, among other things, a component doing a similar job of SCS's component, but not based on it, that will adjust to reaction level and will avoid any 4th wall breakage.

I missed this discussion, I think, so some belated thoughts:

(i) I think the rewards given by Skip-Candlekeep were based on a test playthrough, in TUTU, being fairly completionist.

(ii) Good luck with the mod! - but Candlekeep includes, among other things, dialog with a monk who says "Interaction defaults to Talk for neutral targets, and Attack for hostile targets. To talk to a neutral character (neutrals are identified by blue circles), left click on one of them"... so I think the fourth wall is pretty thoroughly shattered anyway.(That's why I just had fun with the skip-Candlekeep dialog.)

[should be]=>[to be], but yes, you're basically right.

Cheers.

(ii) Good luck with the mod! - but Candlekeep includes, among other things, dialog with a monk who says "Interaction defaults to Talk for neutral targets, and Attack for hostile targets. To talk to a neutral character (neutrals are identified by blue circles), left click on one of them"... so I think the fourth wall is pretty thoroughly shattered anyway.(That's why I just had fun with the skip-Candlekeep dialog.)

That got me thinking - is there anything stopping a mod from removing the green monks?

[should be]=>[to be], but yes, you're basically right.

Cheers.

That got me thinking - is there anything stopping a mod from removing the green monks?

Nothing at all.

[C]andlekeep includes, among other things, dialog with a monk who says "Interaction defaults to Talk for neutral targets, and Attack for hostile targets. To talk to a neutral character (neutrals are identified by blue circles), left click on one of them"... so I think the fourth wall is pretty thoroughly shattered anyway.

Nothing at all.

Very interesting, I'd love to get rid of those fourth-wall breaking little buggers. I've got a follow-up question on that, I hope you'll bare with me. :) I'd like to pitch the idea to a mod, but I'm not sure mod would have that kind of component in their remit.

BG2Tweaks - it's not BG2

BGTTweaks - feature complete

Fixpack - not a fix

aTweaks - probably not

Ideas? :hmmm:

Archived