Is this the mod...

Bartimaeus

That keeps switching out some of the default icons for items, (i.e. Dagger of the Stars, Pixie Prick, Axe of the Unyielding, etc.), with IWD-style ones? Because if so, I'd like to officially make a complaint by saying holy cow, please stop doing that, they are so ugly. :D

If not, nevermind! ...and does anybody know what mod does that?

(edit) O.K., I think I found out what really does it - BG2 Tweak Pack seems to be the culprit, with its "Icon Improvements" component. So, never mind! Keep up the good work! :D

It's not Item Revisions - the only swapped icons IR uses are from 1PP, which end up looking more BG2-like than the stuff in BG2.

Are those the lovely re-aligned icons, (e.g. Foebane)? And by using your tutorial, Jarno Mikkola, I have found out that it is indeed that! Thank you! :D

Mods affecting ISW1H63.BAM:

00000: /* from game biffs */ ~1PP.TP2~ 0 0 // One Pixel Productions: v2 Everything but Potions (1): v2.7 BWP Fix

00001: ~ITEM_REV/ITEM_REV.TP2~ 0 0 // Item Revisions by Demivrgvs: V3 Beta 1.13

But to the real matter at hand...

Mods affecting IAX1H14.BAM: //NOTE: Axe of the Unyielding icon

00000: /* from game biffs */ ~1PP.TP2~ 0 0 // One Pixel Productions: v2 Everything but Potions (1): v2.7 BWP Fix

That's strange. Let's try another...

Mods affecting ISW1H42.BAM: //NOTE: Bastard Sword +2 icon (it's also IWD-styled)

I am very confused. Wouldn't this imply that the IWD icons are the fault of Item Revisions/1PP? I tried the base item, too, (Bastard Sword +2), and they again were the only things that appeared in the changelog.

So, basically, as I'm seeing it, the reason for the IWD-style icons is that because items' icons such as Mauler's Arm +1's, (Mace +1), Bastard Sword +2's, (Sword of Balduran +2), Morning Star +2's, (The Sleeper +2), etc. are used by two items, (the other annotated in parentheses). O.K., fair enough. I don't really like it, but I understand it, and it's easy to fix if it's really all that bothersome. Why the change of icons for items such as Axe of the Unyielding, however? axeoftheunyielding+3.gif Or Dagger of the Stars, (ignoring the white dots)? daggerofthestar+4.gif I mean, sure, they're not great, but at least it still fits in, as opposed to...not. Actually, Dagger of the Stars looks pretty hideous and doesn't fit in hardly at all, but hardly at all is still better than what its assigned IWD icon is in IR, (no offense meant, of course, :D).

Neither Perdue's Sword nor Vampire's Revenge bams are the ones I assigned, thus I guess 1PP or another mod did a similar thing.

Anyway, yes, IWD's bams are far from perfect but miles better than ToB ones imo, and even 1PPv4 seems to assign those IWD bams (at least that's what I remember from the last time I looked into it a week or two ago).

If I'll ever found better bams (e.g. Erephine or some other modder may finally handle those terrible ToB bams) I would gladly use them.

Neither Perdue's Sword nor Vampire's Revenge bams are the ones I assigned, thus I guess 1PP or another mod did a similar thing.

Anyway, yes, IWD's bams are far from perfect but miles better than ToB ones imo, and even 1PPv4 seems to assign those IWD bams (at least that's what I remember from the last time I looked into it a week or two ago).

If I'll ever found better bams (e.g. Erephine or some other modder may finally handle those terrible ToB bams) I would gladly use them.

1. Yeah, I figured that, since I never remembered them having them previously, while I always remember i.e. AotU having the IWD-style icon whenever I used Item Revisions.

2. O.K., fair enough, I guess. Your mod, your rules. Thank you for all the hard effort, by the way, (on both this and Spell Revisions).

I am totally for keeping the IWD icons instead!

The two icons Bartimaeus is bringing to our attention in particular look very poor compared to the IWD ones and that's no surprise since we well know how uglier things look in BG2. So, okay... It might be possible to have even better looking icons but, to me, the present switch is more than appreciated.

Archived