no changed .CRE after mod installation

jastey

Hi there,

I have the following problem: after installation of a mod that changes an existing game-cre and loading an earlier save game (before entering the area where the creature can be met), I don't get the changed .cre but the original one. (I'm talking about the BG1 NPC mod (Tutu), where Ajantis' .cre is changed to be equipped with shield and long sword instead of two-handed sword).

I'm absolutely sure not to have been to that area for this savegame before. The .CREs in the override are equipped with shield as they should after installing the mod. CLUAConsole cheated Ajantis is equipped with the shield, the Ajantis to be met in the game is not!

Has anyone any idea as to what the reason / solution could be?

Well I'm hoping someone has an idea, because I'm afraid this bug could turn up at some other places, too...

CLUAing in the shield is a good idea! :) I tried CLUAing in another Ajantis to try out whether he'll be equipped correctly but then I had two standing there which spoils the gaming fun a bit, at least for me...

I can't remember if we have the NPCs in the .gam file, but if so, that'd explain why the Ajantis from your saved game still has his old weapons. The .gam file is basically the saved game file, and it's loaded right from the very start of the game, and contains info on visited areas, stores, and NPCs, among other things.

I can't remember if we have the NPCs in the .gam file, but if so, that'd explain why the Ajantis from your saved game still has his old weapons.  The .gam file is basically the saved game file, and it's loaded right from the very start of the game, and contains info on visited areas, stores, and NPCs, among other things.

The .gam file just refers to NPCs in general though. Depending on the PC's level, any one of three or four .cre files can be loaded as a result of the .gam file reference and I've always found that any change I made to an NPC .cre file did show up in-game - including a shield-equipped Ajantis.

To really test this, since it's so near to the start of the game, I'd suggest beginning a brand new game with an over-powered PC who can stomp easily through the early challenges. Then head for Ajantis immediately to see if his .cre is behaving correctly or not.

No, no new tutu installation. You're just testing the installation you already have. So you don't need to play the whole of Candlekeep or much of anything else. No RPing considerations at all, just a veteran, fully-equipped PC who is going to have a look at Ajantis to make sure he's properly set up in a new game.

And if you do it in multiplayer mode, you can always substitute your "real" PC for the ringer if the ringer meets a properly equipped Ajantis in the new game.

you don't need to play thru candlekeep to find out if it works: just start a new game and CLUA to ajantis: 10 mins work, most of which will be taken up with loading screens. or even easier: start a new game, quit, and check the .gam file...

The .gam file in the override (or .bif) only refers to the npcs. But before (or right after) character generation, the engine resolves all such references and imports the creatures (and their inventory) into the .gam file. This .gam file will be saved in the savegame. You can modify this .gam with some tools if you don't want to start a new game.

The .gam file in the override (or .bif) only refers to the npcs. But before (or right after) character generation, the engine resolves all such references and imports the creatures (and their inventory) into the .gam file. This .gam file will be saved in the savegame.

That's true but only as long as the PC hasn't gained enough levels when the area is first entered to force the creation of a higher level version of the NPC. If the higher level NPC is created, any changes to the .cre file made since the game began do appear in-game.

Archived