Effect #206 in IWD

Lu_

Effect #206: Immunity spell. This effect gives immunity to the spell marked in the resource field, I take. Yet sometimes (with some items) it is used in a weird way

Say, item HOLDFAST, 206 is one of it's external effects. In the resource field it has the name of this very item HOLDFAST, and there's no such spell. Can someone explain to me how the effect works here?

Double post, sorry. I hope mods can delete one of them

Nah, it's weird in a different way than I said before. The weird thing is that the effect (206) is applied to the target (which isn't self) So every time that you hit the target, it becomes immune to the effects of these arrows? I say this makes very little sense

Remember that parameter2 is important. In this case, 206 is only being applied to 'huge creatures'--basically the 206 kicks in and prevents the other effects.

You'll see this quite a bit for exclusions. The Cause X Wounds use this (though with 290 instead of 206) to exclude undead/constructs, moon blade does it for non-undead, etc.

Now, how do they handle like matters in BG1 and 2? Say, Remove Fear or Bless affects your party members and their allies only (or if cast by a non-party character, their allies only) Yet I can't find any signs of such restrictions in the spells' effects

most of that is handled with the projectiles (most are hardcoded) and their flags (eg. for the friendlies-only aoe you'd use inareap). When you want to do exclusion in a spell, you usually do it with IDS targetting. IWD handles immunity a bit differently than BG, having one of these IDS filtering effects first in the queue, whereas, I'm pretty sure, BG would have to grant immunity.

Moon blade does what for non-undead? The rest is clear, thanx

Take a look at the melee effects on moon blade, moonbla.itm, in order. There's some damage, some cosmetics, casting failure, and then a 206. That 206 protects non-undead (parameter2 = 2) from all of the effects that follow it--which is just the 1d12 of magic damage that only undead are supposed to get from moon blades.

In IWD the order of spells is important, then. Can it be important in BG games too?

Yes, effects are processed in order in all incarnations of the engine. It's why Otiluke's Sphere doesn't really work in BG2 w/o the Fixpack--IIRC it used to set MR to 100% near the top of the effects queue, effectively blocking the rest of the spell.

206 is one of the more painful opcode conversions in IWD-in-BG2, incidentally.

Most painful, yeah. I understand, the trickiest thing is caused by parameter #2 (type) which sets how the effect works (i.e, determines who is affected by this effect: 0 for default; 1 for undead; 2 for not undead, etc)

In BG games, one will have to use effect 177 for this to work, right? Which will surely lead me to more questions soon enough

206 is one of the more painful opcode conversions in IWD-in-BG2, incidentally.

This works both ways. The IWD stuff works on more diverse stats, but it is painfully hardcoded to select values.

This 'resistance/affect by stats' feature is nowhere near finished in either engine.

Archived