Reduce gore mod

Torgo

I have been looking around for a mod that will get rid of the exploding gibs effect that happens on critical hits in BG2 and BG1 Tutu. Does anyone know where I can find such a thing?

Somebody at the BG Forums recommended SCS2, but the OP said that it only stops party members from exploding. I'd like to get rid of exploding gibs for all creatures if possible. Also, I get the impression SCS2 is for BG2 and not BG1 Tutu.

The same person that recommended SCS2 also said that this should work:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.\*.cre~ override
LPF ADD_CRE_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode= timing=9 parameter1= parameter2= END
BUT_ONLY

But I have no idea what that means.

The same person that recommended SCS2 also said that this should work:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.\*.cre~ override
LPF ADD_CRE_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode= timing=9 parameter1= parameter2= END
BUT_ONLY

But I have no idea what that means.

The effect you'd be looking for in that case (replacing "???") is opcode 295, which SCS uses for the "Make party members less likely to die irreversibly" component. The file would also need to be formatted and saved as a TP2 and run with weidu...

...but don't bother doing any of that because I'm 99% sure opcode 295 is broken and doesn't do anything.

Some creatures like slimes, spiders, wyverns, golems (except ice golems) and dragons are immune to chunking, this is hardcoded into their animation.

If you want to prevent certain weapons from "chunking" creatures, like daggers, or a monk's fists (exploding from a punch looks a bit silly), you can change the damage type to missile, ofc this will make them far less effective against certain missile resistant creatures like mummies and skeletons.

...but don't bother doing any of that because I'm 99% sure opcode 295 is broken and doesn't do anything.

I'm reasonably confident that's wrong. Testing the relevant SCS component gave a very substantial reduction in chunking, possibly 100% for certain damage types. The main thing it doesn't seem to help with is cold/fire damage.

maybe a minhp item with -5 for value would work too. I think normal chunking happens if the death blow lowers the hitpoints below -10.

295 uses the stat at 186, but it would be no easier to change.

I'm reasonably confident that's wrong. Testing the relevant SCS component gave a very substantial reduction in chunking, possibly 100% for certain damage types. The main thing it doesn't seem to help with is cold/fire damage.

I just did a few tests, spawned a myconid (40hp) with the #295 effect set in its cre file. Hit it with a playtesting weapon that always does exactly 50 damage per hit: gibbed.

Repeated the test, but Ctrl+Q the myconid into my party first: NOT gibbed.

So #295 apparently works only for creatures in the party as is the case for a few other effects like berserk.

I can see why the op would want this tweak though, it looks ridiculous for things like skeleton warriors, bone golems, mists, shadows etc. to explode in a shower of blood when killed. Not to mention fire giants, who explode into the same number of "flesh" pieces as a tiny goblin...

The only solution I can imagine for these critters is to reduce their hp to 1/3 and give them 75% resistance vs all damage (to compensate for the way the game rounds up damage). That's no good for the fire giants though as it puts them into PW:Kill range and if they use hardiness (modded) will be immune to all physical attacks...

maybe a minhp item with -5 for value would work too. I think normal chunking happens if the death blow lowers the hitpoints below -10.

295 uses the stat at 186, but it would be no easier to change.

Bumping this because I just stumbled across a way to do it (and because I'm somehow able to remember year-old threads): You can use the "Animation Change" opcode (#53) with a timing mode of 9 to set the creature's avatar to the desired type (including the same one it naturally uses) and it will keep this avatar after death even if it should have been gibbed by damage (or disintegration).

Archived