Spirit Trolls

charlesgordon

First, thank you for this mod! I've played through all these games dozens of times, and rarely had so much fun. It's also forced me to finally spend time *thinking* about encounters, which never really used to happen. I've finished BG:EE, and am just getting started with BG2:EE using SCS. So far it has been great, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the D'Arnise Keep. Specifically, the spirit trolls seem completely unbeatable. They are blinking into and out of sight, they are very difficult to hit (even with THACOs in the 2-3 range) and I can't target them with spells (due to their being improved invis, I assume). Even with everyone attacking them with magic weapons, I can't do enough damage to get them below "Barely Injured".

Is there a tactic I'm missing here? What do other people use to combat Spirit Trolls?

Is there a tactic I'm missing here? What do other people use to combat Spirit Trolls?

Me? I installed the "Improved trolls" component of my Polytweak mod, which prevents their annoying flickering in and out of visibility.

Self promotion aside, use Slow spells to counter their regeneration and Holy Smite/Sunfire/Fireball (+ ProFire) none of which need to be targetted on the improved invisible troll. For groups with several spirit trolls (I think there's three alongside TorGal if you're high enough level/using the tougher spawns option) use Defensive Harmony + Protection from Evil 10' radius to prevent your fighters getting their strength drained too low.

Spirit trolls are a CH6 enemy. Do not try to take them on before that. The best thing I found was to just continue to whack at them with all casters having true sight. Actually, another option is spell sequencers loaded with flame arrows. Those rip apart trolls, including the spirit variety. I decimated Torgal with a really cheese tactic but since I loaded up on the difficulty I was happy with it. I spell triggered 3 Acid Clouds and ran away before I could be targeted. It basically killed everything except the boss who I took out normally.

Spirit trolls are a CH6 enemy. Do not try to take them on before that. The best thing I found was to just continue to whack at them with all casters having true sight. Actually, another option is spell sequencers loaded with flame arrows. Those rip apart trolls, including the spirit variety. I decimated Torgal with a really cheese tactic but since I loaded up on the difficulty I was happy with it. I spell triggered 3 Acid Clouds and ran away before I could be targeted. It basically killed everything except the boss who I took out normally.

While they are tough (as they should be) they're not THAT tough to merit holding off until ch6/lvl 16 range as you advise; they can be dealt with in ch2 by a party taking on Nalia's keep with careful management.

While they are tough (as they should be) they're not THAT tough to merit holding off until ch6/lvl 16 range as you advise; they can be dealt with in ch2 by a party taking on Nalia's keep with careful management.

Agreed, though they are incredibly irritating with their flickering, I can safely manage to deal with them in the keep with a mostly fresh (a few athkatlan quests here and there) BG2 party without much swearing.

Though I remember the first time I entered the troll mound with SCS, not expecting any challenge, and having my ass promptly handed to me by a bunch of trolls. TROLLS!

Archived