BG1 vanilla/Tutu

Cybersquirt

I'm looking to start a new BG1 experience. But, since I've already given atari enough money (for now) I will not be buying any EE. I want to install Tutu, finally, and play The Darkest Day and Epic Endeavors, etc. Finding the enhanced NPC intejections and such is tricky -- this site's downloads are hard to navigate. (Links in the forums would be SO helpful.)

My question, really, is: What do I need to look out for if a mod says it's now EE compatible?

How much did they really have to change?

If you wish to play The Darkest Day & Tutu, I would suggest that you go and actually use the BWS and use it to make a BGT & TDD game out of it. The BWS actually simplify your need to browse the net a lots, as it will download the mods you wish to use as you customize the setup, and you need to do that !!! and it will have it's links that you can use to browse the net too...

I will also tell you that the BGT and Tutu include the BG1 to the BG2 game, the requirements are different, but it all dwindles down to Tutu being more free but also smaller, as it makes an independent BG1 game out of the BG2, while the BGT includes the BG1 maps to the BG2 game where you start the game from candle keep and end at the throne of bhall using the very same rule system the whole way ther unlike in Tutu, where you can adjust the two games independently ... but you also need to use caution in the creation of the PC as the custom kits need to be installed to the both game at the same orders or they will miss match in character export import process. As the game doesn't break in BGT, you can continue the romance from BG1 to BG2 if the mod is written that way or start a new, and yes, the NPCs are likely to take their leave in the BG1->BG2 transition in BGT too, but their characteristics will get saved ... but all this will get forgotten in the Tutu as the import process can't count on any values between the two games, when you use the Tutu.

Ouh, and yes, I use the BGT as a reference to the BGT-weidu, and Tutu as reference to the EasyTutu... even as it's true that there's also the original and older BGT and BG1Tutu, but as the older ones are far less compatible with mods, I caution you to not even try to use those unless you know exactly what you are getting into. And know what you want, with them only providing that.

Now then that you wish to also make a EpicE game, you should copy the vanilla patched and unmoded game directory to separated folder, then edit the baldur.ini in that folder with Notepad, so the [Alias] 'es point to the right directory and then make a shortcut out of that folders BGMain.exe to your desktop, this allows you to use that folder as independent game. And then install the EpicE there.

And whatever you do, make sure the game directory you have the games in is not Operation System protected ones... or none this will work.

PS, the Epic Endevour and the BG1&BG2:Enhanced Editions have nothing to do with each others, and the Epic Endevour is a BG2:ToB Total Conversion mod with it's own ruleset and it's likely intended to be used as such. You can use the Widescreen mod and such, but the intended enhancements like Tweakpack is partially already installed to it, so I would actually go with the vanilla EpicE.

Ouh, did I write walls of text in two forums ? Again?!? None of the Imps are sorry, ever !

I have to admit I am not sure what your question is. Do you want links to the Tutu compatible mods? To the "older" mods: All mods that where revised to cover BG:EE compatibility still have full Tutu/BGT compatibility. Mine have, at least.

For BGQE, please consider installing the v9 beta as it adds NPC reactions to the game (link is here: http://forums.gibber...opic=26022&st=0 )

For the newer mods, I know that Vynd covers tutu compatibility, too, although I think the official download is not up yet ( http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=186 )

For newer mods from other forums that state BG:EE compatibility I don't know, but it should state in the readme.

Ultimately I am wondering/curious about EE compatibility with a non-EE game.

Being "BGEE-compatible" just means a mod will work on BGEE. If you take an old mod and try to install it on BGEE, it won't work. Mods have to be updated before they will work on BGEE. These updates generally have no effect on how the mod works on non-EE platforms.

To know if a mod will work on regular BG1, BGT, or Tutu, you need to find out if the mod is BG1-/BGT-/Tutu-compatible. If it was compatible with those platforms before, you can assume it is still compatible.

The same goes for BG2EE and SoA/ToB.

uh, yeah, thanks for that Mike. ee = enhanced edition as opposed to another ee acroynm.
Actually you should never use the EE -acronym, as you should either use the BGEE, BG1EE, BG2EE, or BG2: Epic Endeavors, or BG2:EpicE, according to what you actually mean. NOT EE, or ee ! Or Assume that the EE means Elemental Energy. Elemental Evil... etc.

If you take an old mod and try to install it on BGEE, it won't work. Mods have to be updated before they will work on BGEE. These updates generally have no effect on how the mod works on non-EE platforms.
Erhm they do most of the time actually, but if the functions are different from the original base game, there's a need for the update.

Say you wish to install a 50th level ruleset from a mod. It will most likely work in a BG1EE game, at least partially. As the changes made in BG1EE don't change whole lot from the original BG1 engine. Yes, there's the special rules for special kits, but that won't remove the partial compatibility.

uh, yeah, thanks for that Mike. ee = enhanced edition as opposed to another ee acroynm.
Actually you should never use the EE -acronym, as you should either use the BGEE, BG1EE, BG2EE, or BG2: Epic Endeavors, or BG2:EpicE, according to what you actually mean. NOT EE, or ee ! Or Assume that the EE means Elemental Energy. Elemental Evil... etc.

If you take an old mod and try to install it on BGEE, it won't work. Mods have to be updated before they will work on BGEE. These updates generally have no effect on how the mod works on non-EE platforms.
Erhm they do most of the time actually, but if the functions are different from the original base game, there's a need for the update.

Say you wish to install a 50th level ruleset from a mod. It will most likely work in a BG1EE game, at least partially. As the changes made in BG1EE don't change whole lot from the original BG1 engine. Yes, there's the special rules for special kits, but that won't remove the partial compatibility.

k, smartass, so if I don't care about the kits the enhanced edition incorporates but I want to play the original game. WHAT do I need to know if I don't care about the L50 rule set?

What does EE change? Or is it not that simple.

k, smartass, so if I don't care about the kits the enhanced edition incorporates but I want to play the original game. WHAT do I need to know if I don't care about the L50 rule set?

It's very simple, just tell us if your game is BG1EE, BG2EE or the non-enhanced edition game ? Smart ass ! You didn't actually tell it to us, you might think you did, but actually didn't. :p Hihihihih. Yes, my revenge, cause you started it.

One of the things that the enhanced edition changes is that you either need to provide additional information during the mod kit installation or you can't select the custom kit during character creation in the BGEE games... it's due to the game externalizing more kit features to files that were not there in the traditional BG games.

That's just one... there's more.

But I think that you are not actually searching anything related to the enhanced edition, but a certain mod in the non-enhanced edition game... in which case you might do us all a favor and say what that mod was ? We might just be able to tell you exactly what's what.

It's very simple, just tell us if your game is BG1EE, BG2EE or the non-enhanced edition game ? Smart ass ! You didn't actually tell it to us, you might think you did, but actually didn't. :p Hihihihih. Yes, my revenge, cause you started it.

[One of the things that the enhanced edition changes is that you either need to provide additional information during the mod kit installation or you can't select the custom kit during character creation in the BGEE games... it's due to the game externalizing more kit features to files that were not there in the traditional BG games.

That's just one... there's more.

But I think that you are not actually searching anything related to the enhanced edition, but a certain mod in the non-enhanced edition game... in which case you might do us all a favor and say what that mod was ? We might just be able to tell you exactly what's what.

Are you telling me what I am doing, Imp? Do not presume. I really want to know what changes EE brings to the basic BG game. If I am playing a mod, I will say. But for now, it is what it is.

Are you telling me what I am doing, Imp?
Wrong.. yes I am saying actually, as you wish to know the difference between :D :D :D :D ...the BG1TUTU/EasyTutu and the BG1EE, nothing with the vanilla BG1 as the topics title would imply... Now if you would just clarify just the which Tutu you use ? :p

As for the rest of the post; I am not a resident Tutu expert here, nor of the BG1EE(EE from now for short), but will have to suffice, the EasyTutu only has English as the spoken language and text, The EE has plenty of others. The EE also has a lot of other non Mac & non PC conversions. And it's easier to install...

In the EE game, you can zoom in and out, using the +&- keys or mouse wheel, and it auto configures the screen mode to use the current screen size, how ? "I don't know". In the Tutu's you'll have to install the Widescreen mod(purpose should be obvious).

The EE game should run better, because the media files are in a different formats. And the EE games spawning system should be more authentic to the BG1 than the Tutu systems. There's a couple of new downloadable Characters that come with their own areas and stories. The EE has also new classes you can have kit with, namely Monks and Sorcerers. I got to say that the XP cap in the BG1EE is insane, as the different classes have a different ones. The chapter movies are different, better ? I can't honestly tell, as it's a taste thing.

As for moding perspective... there's a couple huge holes you need to look out in the BG1EE, but the reason can be said to relate from the facts that the mods have been made for edited BG2 games... and if you know how to convert mods, you know how to make new ones that come with the included info. As in, don't use the BG2 resources as the base and assume it works the exact same way, as the text is off and so forth.

Now the sill quite invisible question that I got from rereading your original post and the realization of the Tutu & BG1EE comparison is that you asked this:

What do I need to look out for if a mod says it's now EE compatible? How much did they really have to change? -in Tutu compatible mod.
None. Well, of course for that to be really true, the mod needs to check which engine is used and act accordingly, but that's besides the point.

In not Tutu compatible mod, well you can't use it in Tutu... most likely.

Archived