BG1 vanilla/Tutu

Cybersquirt

Cybersquirt - when a mod is compatible with several different plaforms, almost the first thing it does on install is determine which platform you have.

(Example from BG1 NPC Project - uses differently named Area files to distinguish between Tutu and Trilogy.)

ALWAYS

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~FW0100.are~ THEN BEGIN

PRINT @1000 /* Tell the player it is using Tutu stuff */

INCLUDE ~BG1NPC\lib\g3_tutu_cpmvars.tpa~

END ELSE BEGIN

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~AR7200.are~ THEN BEGIN

PRINT @1001 /* Tell the player it is using BGT stuff */

INCLUDE ~BG1NPC\lib\g3_bgt_cpmvars.tpa~

END ELSE BEGIN

FAIL @1002 /* Tell the player it is not Tutu or BGT */

END

END

And then it uses that information to only install the appropriate bits for your platform.

So, you don't have to worry about EE compatibility at all. Just make sure the mod lists itself as okay for Tutu. Or EasyTutu, if that's what you're using.

(I apologise for answering the question again.)

(I apologize for answering the question again.)
Why ? If the answer makes Cybersquirt better aware of the situation... it's no the worst outcome there could be.

Not that the above code is the easiest to understand... but yeah, there's just not very many easy examples. Hmm for easier, perhaps this, stripped out of a few particulars for easiness:

BEGIN ~The Improved Rule System for BWP~
COPY ~Impilation/Imp rules~ ~override~
ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgee bg2ee~ THEN BEGIN
COPY ~Impilation/BGEE~ ~override~
END 

The idea is that the two folders content contain the files that make up the rule systems. For the particular type of game.

While your example actually just determines a .tpa file to read which is a sub system that determines another tpa file and a variable at a crucial inter-point, especially with the ALWAYS command and so forth...

I'm looking to start a new BG1 experience. But, since I've already given atari enough money (for now) I will not be buying any EE. I want to install Tutu, finally, and play The Darkest Day and Epic Endeavors, etc. Finding the enhanced NPC intejections and such is tricky -- this site's downloads are hard to navigate. (Links in the forums would be SO helpful.)

My question, really, is: What do I need to look out for if a mod says it's now EE compatible?

How much did they really have to change?

"The Darkest Day and Epic Endeavors"

This stuff is for BG2, you mean Dark Side of the Sword Coast I guess?

All EE compatible mods are completely safe for the original game!! Common sense, man:

"mod for BG1, BGttutu, EE" - install

"mod for BG1, BGtut" - install

"mod for BG1" - uuu, not install

"mod for BG1EE" - take this shit away from me!!!

Jarno, dear, next time you post, could you reread what you've written and ask yourself these simple questions before hitting the submit button?

- Am I sure I understand the question?

- Has the question already been answered?

- (Was the answer wrong, or did the questioner have trouble understanding it?)

- Is my reply relevant?

- Does my reply contain material that confuses the issue?

- Is the tone of my reply courteous or obnoxious?

- Am I, in fact, answering the question, or instead regurgitating half-remembered facts in an attempt to look clever?

A little self-editing goes a long way.

You have yourself a great day, okay?

Play nice everyone, please.

Jarno:

While your example actually just determines a .tpa file to read which is a sub system that determines another tpa file and a variable at a crucial inter-point, especially with the ALWAYS command and so forth...

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. The example Thimblerig gives shows exactly the differerenciation between the games (in this case, Tutu and BGT) and how the installer prepares itself for the install in question by reading the correct tpa for Crossplatform Coding, and therefore very well suited to show the concept of how a mod can be compatible with several game platforms. I have the impression you are not aware of this concept, so criticising Thimblerig's code example is idle.
Play nice everyone, please.
For this ones, I will ... and Kulyok, be just aware that you made mine. :D

Jarno:--- I have no idea what you are trying to say here. The example Thimblerig gives shows exactly the differentiation between the games (in this case, Tutu and BGT) and how the installer prepares itself for the install in question by reading the correct tpa for Crossplatform Coding, and therefore very well suited to show the concept of how a mod can be compatible with several game platforms. I have the impression you are not aware of this concept, so criticising Thimblerig's code example is idle.
I am aware of what it does on the surface... but if you actually go into the code by reading the codelines the computer processes, my example is much more on the level, while Thimblerig's is a concept that keeps getting bigger and bigger. And following that requires some weidu.exe knowledge. That I am unsure the original poster might possibly have, considering the original question.

Ah, you mean you wanted to give a more basic example, that would be easier to understand for someone not into reading all the scripting language. OK, I can understand that. (Although I still think your last sentence is out of context, but that's a different topic.)

Archived