mod installation for Keeping Yoshimo

Lemernis

Heya, it's been a long time since I've tried running the Keeping Yoshimo mod and I'm having some difficulties with it. So I figured I'd post here in General to get the strongest chance of a reply.

I'm not a coder, btw, but I did write the story and dialogue for the mod. The mod's coder, Icendoan (who is MIA for years now), has the mod available as a downloadable attachment (Yoshi.zip) in the first post of this thread:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=b51c65932461110fda98ebb8cca72a57&showtopic=15568

and re: installation he writes: "To install, simply rename a WeiDU.exe to Setup-#!Yoshi.exe and run it in your BG2 directory after extracting the attached files there. (You can download the latest version of WeiDU here.)"

So I have interpreted that in the following way:

1) Download and extract WeiDU from www.weidu.org to a temporary folder named anything ("New Folder" will do).
2) Rename that WeiDU folder as "Keeping Yoshimo."
3) Download and extract the Yoshimo.zip file to the Keeping Yoshimo folder.
4) Rename the weidu.exe file within Keeping Yoshimo to Setup-#!Yoshi.exe.
5) Move the Keeping Yoshimo folder to the main BG2 directory where all the other mod folders go.
6) Discard the empty New Folder.
7) Finally, I think you move Setup-#!Yoshi.exe out of the Keeping Yoshimo folder to the main BG2 directory; and then of course run it to install.

So I tried the above procedure with a freshly installed version of BG2 from GOG.com, with which I had started a game to the first autosave in order to populate files and whatnot. But I'm getting an error message when I try to run Setup-#!Yoshi.exe. So I'm probably just not doing something correctly according to those simple instructions that Icendoan provided.

Am I misunderstanding what to do or missing some steps? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. :-)

You don't need the weidu *folder*. You only need the weidu.exe. Rename the weidu.exe to Setup-#!Yoshi.exe and place it together with the keep Yoshimo mod folder from the mod zip inside the main BGII folder (where the chitin.key is). EDIT: The exe needs to be at the same level as the mod folder, not inside it.

Try again installing by double klicking the Setup-#!Yoshi.exe. If it fails, please post the content of the Setup-#!Yoshi.DEBUG file here.

Thank you Jastey!

(Btw, that last post was my one thousand and eleventy-first post. Bilbo would be proud.)

Okay, so as directed I renamed the weidu.exe application file (926 KB) to Setup-#!Yoshi.exe and extracted Yoshi.zip, both to the main BG2 folder (same with chitin.key). That creates a folder named #!Yoshi there. So both Setup-#!Yoshi.exe and #!Yoshi are at the same folder level in the main folder with the chitin.key.

And I tried running Setup-#!Yoshi.exe and it failed. This is what the Setup-#!Yoshi.DEBUG says:

WeiDU v 23600 Log

C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate 2\Setup-#!Yoshi.exe.exe

I noticed there that the file extension .exe appears twice. So I tried renaming the weidu application file as Setup-#!Yoshi. But that failed too. The .DEBUG file for that says:

WeiDU v 23600 Log

C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate 2\Setup-#!Yoshi.exe

C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate 2\Setup-#!Yoshi.exe

That should work... as long as all the rest of the mods files are in the C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate 2\#!Yoshi\ -folder... are they ?

And you are using a PC ?!?.... :p I think I saw you use a Mac at a point. :D

I should add that the mod is finished, actually. It hasn't been playtested as much as we would have hoped back when it was introduced. I would think that is because it hasn't been available as an easy download, i.e., my guess is that a) it looks too complicated to install for some players to bother with, and/or b) they assume it is still in development and they'd prefer to wait until it's released as finished. But in fact no more work will be done on it, at least not in the foreseeable future--and it provides a satisfying experience for what it sets out to do. I actually appreciate its simplicity.

Icendoan left the community and I have no coding skills, so the mod has just sort of languished there in the unfinished/in-development category. When I playtested the mod 5 years ago several times in heavily modded games it ran like a top for me. To the best of my recollection there were some minor bugs experienced here and there in the playtesting reports, but AFIK Icen fixed them.

The updated EE version is close to completion CresDaak told me yesterday. He's in the process of polishing it up and providing a version for Mac as well as PC. I would like to have this mod moved to the completed projects section once he's done, Is there anything I should ask Crevs to do so that we can get the PC version for the original game packaged as a download here in the completed mods section? Or who would I put him in touch with to get Keeping Yoshimo moved to completed-mod-with-download-link status?

Thanks Jastey. Once the EE version is ready we'll want to make all versions available for download, and it would be prudent to try to get some playtesting completed for the EE versions and for Mac. But really at this point it's just a matter of making the mod (for original game for PC) downloadable and playtesting the EE and Mac versions for quality assurance. I believe Crevs will fix bugs that may yet be found. One thing that will really help now, though, is making the original game version of the mod for PC available for download.

I'm happy to report that CrevsDaak has completed the EE and Mac versions of Keeping Yoshimo! Can he be given modder status so that he can upload whatever he needs to in order to get those packaged for download as well here? We'll ask the forum community at Beamdog's BGEE/BG2EE forums to playtest the EEs. The mod should probably remain in beta a little longer here while the EEs are playtested. But it looks like we're in the home stretch for completion to full release.

Right now our download center is having some troubles with uploading. I'd recommend hosting your mod somewhere like Dropbox while it's still in beta. Once you feel it's ready for a release, we can package it up with the G3 template and try to get it an official download location.

Hi Mike, thank you! The mod is now available for download for both the original game and Enhanced Edition, both for PC and Mac. One download for all of them, which is available in this thread:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=26562

Can you please update the download link on this page to open the above thread? Thanks

Edit: Ah, also--could you also please remove the following text on that page?:

"This is what we have so far for alpha1. Mainly, at this stage what we're ready to test is the coding to keep him throughout the saga. We have quite a bit more content in the works, but right now want to get the most basic stuff in good working order."

And let's please change it's status from Alpha to Beta as well.

Thanks again

Archived