SCS Bone Fiend issue

geg_Ma3gau

By the way, when you say PnP rules, which set are you referring to ?

Well yeah the summoning cap was really a nod to the limited hardware capabilities in 1998 iirc. I don't know what the 'tile system' is but I don't think it's from 2E ADnD. And you're correct that PnP doesn't really scale past level 20 very well... but that's because gameplay past level 20 is in the realm of godly powers and clashes of armies and that kind if thing that is more geared toward actual role-playing than tactical individual combat (which is all that BG contains).

The tile system is the bases on how the characters move, most board games use a some type, here's an example from an old game:

45380-the-dark-queen-of-krynn-dos-screen

Now, that game also has additional rules based on the system, the players moves, attacks, cast spells etc for each of their party members ones per turn, and then the enemy does so. And for example, on your turn, if you move from a tile that has an enemy next to it, each enemy takes a free attack of opportunity, cause those are the rules(and you can do it on their turn if they ever choose to do so). The BG2 game doesn't have tiles, so it doesn't support that system. But has other rules based on movement, ranged weapon use etc.

By the way, when you say PnP rules, which set are you referring to ?

2E ADnD - you know, the ruleset that BG & BG2 & IWD & PS:T are based on. This whole site is about modding those games in that ruleset, I pretty much take it to be the assumed standard. If any different rule or source is mentioned, it should be made explicit. Eg when Demi says "I changed the duration of X spell to Y rounds, per PnP," that means per some 2E sourcebook. When he uses other sources he says something like "I modeled this kit ability on Pathfinder's Barbarian class" etc.

As far as fiends specifically, I take canon to mean the Planescape sourcebooks. Those books talk about Magic Missile being the most effective spell against fiends, and about how one of the Lords of the Nine was killed by a backstab with a simple Dagger +2, and about how most fiends cannot cast spells unless they undergo some special modification (excepting some rare specimens like Arcanoloths).

So if a mod gives fiends immunity to +3 weapons, or 100% MR or immunity to 1st-level magic, or gives them extra spell abilities, I take that to be contrary to PnP.

Afaik I cannot do much about this issue because SCS has to be installed after SR anyway. What I could try to work on is a small "hotfix" to install after SCS to hopefully fix the issue (e.g. overwrite again SCS spl to summon the correct fiend). For that I would still need some help tracking down the issue though.

aTweak Fiends vs. SCS/SR Fiends

Really? I didn't realize Demi touched fiends at all. aTweaks makes fiends very close to PnP (though I don't think PnP fiends has quite so many immunities), and makes them very powerful without resorting to SCS techniques (which imho venture into cheese-land).

Just so you know both aTweak and SR make fiends very close to PnP, we simply picked two different editions, with aVENGER going for 2E and me going for 3.5E (I know hugely prefer Pathfinder and the new 5E is a really cool edition imo). Afaik, SCS fiends are pretty much identical to SR ones, and when you install SR+SCS you won't even notice the difference between them in theory.

The main differences between aTweak and SR fiends are more or less the following:

+ aTweak fiends have more "stylish" scripts

+ aTweak fiends summons allies (*)

- SR fiends have waaay more "staying power", they are both stronger and tougher

This (*) I really don't like about aTweak fiends. Some encounters end up being relatively easy while others get completely out of control because tons of fiends are summoned everywhere. The most ridiculous thing I saw in one of Kreso's runs at bioware forums was an aTweak "lesser demon" summoning a Baalor to help him. Just LOL.

The main diffirence between the SCS and SR fiends is that the SCS fiends have at will spells and SRv4 have at will once per 5 rounds. I hope everything is compatible with each other etc. Btw how do things work for the fiends if i install SCS over SR? at will every round or 5 rounds? Where is the point at which the fiends get improved AI?

You could make an option to keep summon cacofiend spell while you re at it.

OT, I just did completely same install like geg_Ma3gau, and SCS doesn't touch SPWI707.SPL or SPCACO.EFF and Summon Death Knight is unchanged.

Something else messed up this spell. Can OP check spell or mage's known spells in NI?

aTweaks, on other hand, will change this spell, but to ask Avenger, Wisp or DavidW to update their mods now, when SR4 is in beta and constant change is not right, imho.

Archived